What's new

Tech head / base in stainless, brass or gold plated.

After falling in love love with a nos tech, that I had found in a package bundled with an aftershave sample and some canned soap. I’m hooked on the smoothness of the head design. The aluminium handle felt a bit flimsy, so I exchanged that with a merkur 1906 handle. For multi-day growth I found a gillette oc head and added the same merkur handle. A stunning looking combo, that I can only recommend. The merkur handle adds a little weight and fits just perfect.

But I noticed the oc head is definitely made out of brass, while the tech head feels like it was made out of aluminum or even pot metal....
I know I could look forever to find an old original tech pre 1960, but nice ones seem to be harder to find.

Is there anybody, who cloned the tech head in brass, stainless steel or at least a gold plated version ?

lasta

Blade Biter
Hi,

What part of the world are you in?

There are like 100 Techs for sale on ebay right now. Anything pre-1960 should be all brass.

As for modern Tech clones, the Feather AS-D2 comes close, although I found it a bit milder than the original.

Just find a vintage Tech in good shape that was made prior to the 1960s. These should be all-brass.

One of my favorites is a Canadian pre-war model that I got for $7 plus shipping from Kamloops, British Columbia. I put a Gillette common bar handle on it most of the time. Another one I really like is a 1951 post-war Tech with gold wash that I got for less than $10 including shipping. Plating and everything else on these is in nice shape.

Note that these Tech heads are a somewhat different construction than the NEW heads. The base plates are stamped brass, so they are thinner and lighter.

Last edited:
Hi,

What part of the world are you in?

There are like 100 Techs for sale on ebay right now. Anything pre-1960 should be all brass.

As for modern Tech clones, the Feather AS-D2 comes close, although I found it a bit milder than the original.
Everything in Europe is fine, getting it from the US would tripple the price including shipping and import taxes etc.

lasta

Blade Biter
@MacBolder ,

Apologies if this cuting your expectation short, but I too looked for a modern Tech replica:

It does not exist.

The Tech is as close to perfect as a razor can be. There are reasons why it was made in the millions and why despite many "inspried by's", no-one dared to make an exact replica.

I would recommend you spent a bit extra and get one in good condition. Tech is easily a lifetime razor.

@Alum Ladd is more the connaisseur on these razors, but isn’t Pal from the 1950s all brass? Very similar design to the Tech. And available from Europe. I can send you the link if you want.

Europe is usually focused on Techs in aluminium. Prewar is almost always US import if you want one.

Cheers,

Guido
Never heard of Pal, please send me the link.

I am guessing this is the one you got?

Screenshot_20230705_183207.jpg

I would wager the handle is aluminum. If the cap has Gillette stamped into it, it should be a zamak head. But I am no real expert just a guy who spends all his free time on EBay and etsy.

Where are you located? Does it have to be a near mint Tech? I found two interesting offers today... I could share them with you to avoid buying them myself. 🙃

Never heard of Pal, please send me the link.
Star and PAL and I believe Ever Ready also, were all trade names of razors made by the American Safety Razor Company. They mostly concentrated on single edge designs until 1946, when they brought out their first DE, The Star 100. In the UK it was branded as PAL. I have also seen Personna examples.

The Star 100 is a lovely razor, and is very common as a vintage for sale in the US. Very Tech like, it was brought out it seems to compete with the Tech. ASRC stopped making them in the US in 1958-9. It was made till the early 60's in the UK.

The US Stars were mainly gold plated, and were brass, coming in at around 55 gms. Quite hefty. In the UK they seemed to have been made chromed, and lighter. My English PAL barely weighs 25 gms.

Here's a thread for STAR 100/PAL owners. It will give you an idea of what to look for.

Star 100 Owners Club - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/star-100-owners-club.637736/

Last edited:
I am guessing this is the one you got?

View attachment 1681693

I would wager the handle is aluminum. If the cap has Gillette stamped into it, it should be a zamak head. But I am no real expert just a guy who spends all his free time on EBay and etsy.

Where are you located? Does it have to be a near mint Tech? I found two interesting offers today... I could share them with you to avoid buying them myself. 🙃
Yes, did not have the blades included, but for 30 Euro it was a bargain. I am located in germany. Near mint would be the goal, but i think i found a nos clone from the 50‘s gold plated. Shame the maggard head is not being made in brass or stainless, looked like a good version.

If someone held a gun to my head and told me to find a an all-brass Gillette Tech plated in nickel for 20 bucks I could find hundreds within minutes...and might buy every one. 😄😄😄

Of course I am in the US, which may make it easier.

To the OP:

You may consider posting a "Want to Buy" in the BST forum. You will probably get offered some razors that would be nicer than you find on Ebay, possibly at a better price, and maybe even from a European seller.

Top Bottom