What's new

Tea Newbie

Ok, so I've always loved tea, but I don't really know where to start with good, quality tea. I've always enjoyed trying different things, esp. food and drinks. I'd really like to start adding teas to my daily routine. I'd appreciate any advice/recomendations. I'm really interested in trying pu'erh and Japanese sencha. I have wide and varied tastes.

Thanks,
Sam

For pu, send a message to scott on ebay his business is called Yunnan sourcing. He will steer you in the right direction no matter how experienced you are with tea.

Ok, so I've always loved tea, but I don't really know where to start with good, quality tea. I've always enjoyed trying different things, esp. food and drinks. I'd really like to start adding teas to my daily routine. I'd appreciate any advice/recomendations. I'm really interested in trying pu'erh and Japanese sencha. I have wide and varied tastes.

Thanks,
Sam
Sam -

Here's a link to a missive that I just wrote on everything but pu-erh & sencha (the two teas about which I'm entirely ill-informed & inexperienced):

But please let me know if you'd like specific recommendations on White, Chinese Green, oolong, Chinese black or Darjeeling.

- Richard

This may be a stupid question, but what are some recomended brewing times and how long do you wait between multiple brewings?

This may be a stupid question, but what are some recomended brewing times and how long do you wait between multiple brewings?
Not at all a stupid question.

Reputable vendors (e.g. - SpecialTeas.com, UptonTea.com, etc.) will state recommended brewing times and quantities on the package and/or on their website). Upton has the good sense to specify amount by weight, rather than teaspoon (which is, IMHO, a stoopid measurement for something as variable in size & density as tea). Time & amount also depends upon whether you're brewing in a mug/teapot or Gung-Fu style.

But assuming the former, as an egregious generality, my 'sperience has been:
Darjeelings - 2 - 3 min
Green - 1-2 min
Oolong - 1.5-3 min (typically longer for more highly oxidized oolongs)
Black - 2.5 - 3.5 min
White - 3-4 min

But basically, start with what's on the package, and then learn by trial, error & (mostly) taste. Same goes for quantity of leaves. (I tend to use 4 - 4.5 grams / 10-12 oz. mug).

As regards time between brewings, it depends how fast you drink. :rolleyes:
But if you want caffeine or health effects, best to brew from fresh leaves, as most of the caffeine, and any beneficial oils, antioxidants, etc., are out after the first steeping.

- Richard

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Any relation to my favoite artist, S. Clay Wilson? :001_rolle

If this keeps up, I'll have to beg Joel for another sub-forum. Trouble is, at my age it takes too long to heal between beatings.

An aside --

I'd urge you not to patronize any vendor who advertises any of their teas as 'weight loss' teas.

The notion is utter rubbish. Diet, exercise & fluid balance is what's required. Unless they're putting something in the tea that's not tea.

- Richard

An aside --

I'd urge you not to patronize any vendor who advertises any of their teas as 'weight loss' teas.

The notion is utter rubbish. Diet, exercise & fluid balance is what's required. Unless they're putting something in the tea that's not tea.

- Richard

+1 Weight loss is not why I'm getting into tea. Any vendor that advertises teas that do so is not going to get my business. I didn't know that any vendor did so. The idea is rather silly. I could probablly stand to loose a few pounds. I'm within the proper weight range for my height and build. I've always believed in moderation in everything, especially moderation.

Well, it looks like I just jumped in with both feet. I just ordered:

From SpecialTeas.com
Black #509 China Yunnan Royal Golden
Green #535 China Yunnan Green Imperial
Green #538 China Spring Blossom Pekoe
Oolong #513 China Anxi Oolong Select
Oolong #619 Formosa Bai Hao Oolong Special Grade
Rooibos #750 Green Rooibos Superior Grade Organic
Rooibos #950 Rooibos Superior Grade Organic
White #551 China Silver Needle White

And from Hou De sampls of:
2003 MengHai HK Henry
2003 Yi-Chan-Hao Yi-Ban Wild Arbor Cake
2006 Cheng Guang-Ho Tang Yi Wu Yeh Cha
2007 Xi-Zhi-Hao Autumn Nu Er/Xi Shang/Pu Zheng Tasting Set

What do you guys think about the selection? I've also contacted Scott at Yunnan Sourcing LLC to get additional recommendations. I'm waiting on his reply.

I think that if my usual beverages start to become sold out, I'll be somewhat annoyed. :wink:

That said, many of the choices look a lot like what's in my cupboard.

- Richard

I think that if my usual beverages start to become sold out, I'll be somewhat annoyed. :wink:

That said, many of the choices look a lot like what's in my cupboard.

- Richard

I don't think you have to worry too much about that, at least not yet. I got rather small quantities to see if I like them, and I read somewhere about green teas having limited "shelf life".

I took your recommendations for a number of the teas.

I appreciate the trust.

Please do let us know your thoughts once you've had the chance to sample a few. I'm actually most interested to hear your thoughts on the Pu-erh teas, as I'm a novice to them.

Cheers,

- Richard

Please do let us know your thoughts once you've had the chance to sample a few. I'm actually most interested to hear your thoughts on the Pu-erh teas, as I'm a novice to them.

Cheers,

- Richard

Will do. I'm looking forward to getting them in. The hard part will be deciding what to try first!

So, I just placed an order with Schoo at Yunnan Sourcing, great guy by the way. He made some recomendations, and I ordered samples of:

2001 CNNP "Ji Xing Branc" Ripe
2003 Langhe "Green Mark" Ripe
2003 CNNP Yi Wu Zheng Shan Raw
2005 Yong PIn Hao Stone Pressed Yi Wu Mountain
2008 Guoyan "Queen of Yi Wu" Premium Raw
2008 Guoyan "Deep Mountain, Old Tree" Raw
2008 Hai LAng Hao "Star of Bu Lang" Raw
2008 Menghai "Ba Da High Mountain" Ripe

I'm really looking forward to trying these out. I guess I've gone a little tea crazy in the past two days. Life's to short to dring bad tea!

Well, it looks like I just jumped in with both feet. I just ordered:

From SpecialTeas.com
Black #509 China Yunnan Royal Golden Very good tea. I like this for breakfast, even with milk and sugar occasionally
Green #535 China Yunnan Green Imperial Somewhat average
Green #538 China Spring Blossom Pekoe
Oolong #513 China Anxi Oolong Select Decent oolong, but nothing special
Oolong #619 Formosa Bai Hao Oolong Special Grade This is actually a very nice bai Hao. Very cinnamon-y and fruity
Rooibos #750 Green Rooibos Superior Grade Organic
Rooibos #950 Rooibos Superior Grade Organic
White #551 China Silver Needle White Decent white, but white tea makes me yawn

And from Hou De sampls of:
2003 MengHai HK Henry Yum
2003 Yi-Chan-Hao Yi-Ban Wild Arbor Cake Yum
2006 Cheng Guang-Ho Tang Yi Wu Yeh Cha I like this tea a lot
2007 Xi-Zhi-Hao Autumn Nu Er/Xi Shang/Pu Zheng Tasting Set I wasn't a huge fan of these, but you'll learn a lot from drinking them

What do you guys think about the selection? I've also contacted Scott at Yunnan Sourcing LLC to get additional recommendations. I'm waiting on his reply.

Nice! I added some notes above in blue. Make sure you post your tasting notes after you get them!

I got the shipment from specialteas.com on Saturday. So far I've only had the Green #538 China Spring Blossom Pekoe and the White #551 China Silver Needle White.

China Silver Needle White
First Infusion: aprox. 2 heaping tsp. tea in a 6oz cup (preheated), water heated till steaming. Steeped for 3 minutes. Strained into another cup (preheated).
Grassy taste, very slight sweetness. Aroma of fresh cut grass.
Second Infusion: Same prep with the leaves from first infusion. Much better than first. Sweetness more pronounced, still grassy.
Overall an ok cup-o-tea. I'll finish what I have, but it will not be a staple.

China Spring Blossom Pekoe
First Infusion: aprox. 2 heaping tsp. in a 12oz mug (preheated), water heated till steaming. Steeped for 4-5 minutes. Strained into another cup (preheated).
Sweet and slightly nutty. Some astringancy. Sweet aroma. Light body.

Will try with a second infusion and post final comments.

Top Bottom