What's new

Tea and Pesticides

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I was getting the occasional puer beeng off ebay, until I read about this (too).

Now I get the stuff from a site that claims to be tested and pesticide-free.

If you think about it, the product is the leaves- what gets sprayed? The leaves. It's not like a bean or a nut, where what you consume is inside what gets sprayed ...

AA

It depends on the pesticide. Some of them wash off. I would think that an oil-based pesticide would ruin the leaves so it could be a dust like Sevin which is normally what you use on leaf-eaters.

I contacted several tea shops and asked them to provide me with info about pesticides used in their teas. Most responded a few didn’t. Guess which ones I’ ll use in the future?

My concern would be how does the seller (2nd or 3rd middleman) even know or be confident about their answer. With tea being sourced from far away with little oversight, I suspect the answers are skewed by what the public wants to hear.

Renegade Teas renegadeteas.com in Georgia uses no pesticides. Also, contact floatingleaves.com. The owner picks the teas directly from the farmers in Taiwan (oolongs) so knows if pesticides are used. The owners at silkroadteas.com buy directly from the farmers in China , so can give you info on the use of pesticides.

Top Bottom