What's new

Target ran out of Proraso, what to get?

Ok, so Target ran out of Proraso but I'm ready to try something different anyways. Can anyone recommend a good shaving cream (for use with a brush) for extremely sensitive skin? I'm sure I'll probably have to order it online, that's fine, I don't mind. I tried the Kiss My Face from the health store and it can kiss my ***, it was horrible. Before Proraso, I was using the Palmolive from CVS drugstore. I live in Vegas so I have shopping malls fairly closeby but I'm a lazy *** and hate shopping so I think I'd rather just order one online... Suggestions?

Have you tried Williams? For $1 a puck, it's worth a try. I get great shaves and would recommend at least giving it a shot. It takes a little more work to get the lather going, but once you do, it's pretty good.

Mama Bear's unscented shaving soap is great. I had the same Proraso problem you do. Granted, you can find the cream and soap online; however, if you're looking for an alternative, this is a good start.

I have sensitive allergies/skin (moreso allergies than skin) and I'm picky about my products. Look in my signature to see what works for me. Something there might work for you too. (Not included there is Thayer's Witch Hazel and Lavender Witch Hazel.)

I'm not so fond of the williams, it's ok though. I am going to give this mama bear stuff a go. Just got off the phone with them, going to try the unscented shaving cream and soap too. Will let you know how it goes..

You might like Tom's of Maine Calendula.

Try the Mama Bear's stuff, always good to try new things. If you have really sensitive skin though, cream might be more your thing. Also, are you using any pre-shave oil? For sensitive skin, I'd recommend olive oil or jojoba oil.

Derby Cream

If you want to try something new, these guys make a Menthol shaving cream. I can't vouch for the Menthol specifically as I havn't tried that flavor yet, but the Lavender made a great lather.

Also, these guys make Menthol Shaving soap. Once again, I havn't tried that specific flavor, but their other products work well.

Pirates Cove

There are also other soap makers around like Mama Bear who make higher end soaps.

I second the Tom's of Maine Calendula Shave Cream recommendation since it is one of my favorites. It is not as luxurious as Taylors but could easily be one of the best shave creams for the buck if it was marketed through Target or WalMart. Unfortunately, it is only available locally here in Los Angeles at Whole Foods Market which is overpriced. The shave cream solids and liquid seem to separate as the product sits on the shelves unsold which causes complaints about the shave cream being hard to push out of the tube. I was lucky and managed to arrive just after a new shipment was delivered so that I did not experience this problem with the calendula tube I am currently using. I did experience the hard to push issue with a tube of the Tom's of Maine Mint shave cream. The Tom's of Maine shave creams are also available at www.drugstore.com which has a $50.00 minimum purchase for free shipping. I have not tried them yet. I personally prefer the calendula over the mint shave cream.

With a little experimenting, you would be amazed at the shaves you might achieve with the Williams Mug Shaving Soap. I used only Williams for about 5 weeks straight and developed my technique with the product so that I now do not experience facial skin drying or lather drying out on my face. I finish with a splash of Thayer's Lemon Witch Hazel.

These two shave products and a couple of bath soaps are all that I am currently shaving with using my HD and a Proraso Omega shave brush. FWIW, I have used Nancy Boy, Taylors, Proraso, Crabtree and Evelyn (C&E), and Truefitt and Hill shave creams along with the C&E Sweet Almond Oil Shave Soap (great soap).

I like shaving with soap. I am mulling around a Tabac shave soap buy.

Good luck.

JimT

The Mama Bear stuff arrived today so one thing I can say about them is that the shipping was fast, no delay between the time I ordered to delivery. I ordered both the unscented shaving soap and shaving cream. I'll give the soap a go tonight and report back how it goes..

Well I just tried the Mama Bear's shaving SOAP that arrived today. Tried following the directions on their website for getting a good lather but I have to say it wouldn't happen for me. The shaving soap itself seemed ok, but I didn't have a lot of lather at all (for all the effort I put into making it) to work with. Anyone have any advice for making a lather with their shaving soap? I have not yet tried the cream....

You might like Tom's of Maine Calendula.

Try the Mama Bear's stuff, always good to try new things. If you have really sensitive skin though, cream might be more your thing. Also, are you using any pre-shave oil? For sensitive skin, I'd recommend olive oil or jojoba oil.

Olive oil oil or jojoba oil may be beneficial, but I would not suggest it. Since you have sensitive skin, you may find that these oils clog your pores. With sensitive skin, as a rule, less is more. You may want to start a thread strictly for "Sensitive Skin Shavers" and go with the input from others who have sensitive skin.

As far as the MB soaps, try starting with a "dry" brush, meaning shake out as much water as possible, then add water a few drops at a time. Any new shaving cream or soap requires a bit of experimentation. The MB soaps are inexpensive enough that you can practice building lather without splurging.

Randy

Well I just tried the Mama Bear's shaving SOAP that arrived today. Tried following the directions on their website for getting a good lather but I have to say it wouldn't happen for me. The shaving soap itself seemed ok, but I didn't have a lot of lather at all (for all the effort I put into making it) to work with. Anyone have any advice for making a lather with their shaving soap? I have not yet tried the cream....

Hmmmm.... That's strange. I usually get good lather from both soap and cream, though cream is easier. If you use a lather bowl like I do, just load the brush up with soap paste and whip it up in the bowl, adding water a few drops at a time.

Top Bottom