What's new

Taming the R41

There are some great posts here, too many to reply to a single one.
Here are some points I took from those posts by way of summary.

1. Because the R41 has a lot of blade exposure, you need to use an excellent soap with great slickness and cushion. B&M Reserve is just one of many soaps that provide those features. Do not try to get by with a cheap soap when using this razor.

2. Razor blades are important. I do not recommend Feather as they can be too rough on the face. BIC Chrome Platinum and Gillette Nacets are good choices if you have a tough beard. Although not as sharp, I find 7 O'Clock Yellow to be good blades in the R41. Other blades that you might want to consider are: 7 O'Clock Black, Personna Israeli Reds, German Wilkinson Swords, and Dorco Prime Platinum STP301 made in Vietnam. (Note that the STP301 blades are not the same as the Dorco ST301 blades.)

3. Technique is critical. If you hold the razor so that the blade is scraping your beard off your face rather than slicing it off, the shave will be uncomfortable. You will get a better shave "off the cap" than "off the guard". However, a neutral angle in which neither the cap nor the guard touches your face may give the best shave overall.

With the right soap, the right blade for your beard and skin type, and the right technique, you should be able to get a close, comfortable shave with the R41. Although I still use my R41, it is not my favorite razor as it demands constant attention to avoid nicks and irritation, especially with one of the sharper blades.

Shaving pressure is also part of the technique. Some have noted things like going to a lighter titanium handle. Personally, I like heavy razors, so I have the R41 Grande. I try not to apply any additional pressure to the razor when shaving. I only guide the razor around my face.

Last edited:
That's a pretty good summary. It's all personal - I'd add a few things:

1. A slick soap is clearly to be preferred. But even average soaps perform better with sloppy lather, so be sure to add plenty of water and keep re-applying the lather as you go over different parts of your face.
2. Razor blades are indeed important. Nacets give you sharp. Yellows slightly less sharp but smoother. GSB as sharp as Yellows and smoother still, especially at first. And so on.
3. Technique is indeed critical - you absolutely have to get the very light pressure right. But for me razor weight and balance is part of technique. The reason I use a wide diameter titanium handle weighing 50g is to get a very even balance - the razor feels light and easy to hold at any angle. The more weight you put in the handle, the more gravity will tend to pull it down towards an "off the guard" angle. I tend to use a neutral angle as described, and find that angle easier to find and maintain and more natural with a titanium handle.

I am continuing to get smooth irritation free BBS shaves with the R41. Using B&M Reserve Lavender with fresh Gillette Platinum for each daily shave. OBW I mount the head on a SS Maggard MR11 Handle.

Meh. As others have said, I too find the R41 a chore. But for some ridiculous reason I can't figure out, I keep coming back to it from time-to-time. I don't come back for the shave, but for the challenge!
Def a chore, but the challenge keeps me coming back also, and when I pull it off, no blood, no irritation, closest shave I get with any razor.
As far as taming pulling and irritation, a new Feather blade, a thick MWF lather, three passes works best for me, but after three shaves, the blade is too dull and starts to tug.

Top Bottom