What's new

Tallow & Steel: Weirdly Excellent

Best description of Dark? I've heard peppermint patties
I'm not sure if Dark II is going to have the exact same notes as Dark, but if so, it's a cocoa, coffee, peppermint, vetiver scent. Yes, Peppermint Patties might come to mind off the puck, but there is so much depth to the scent that that should pass once you start shaving with the soap.

I'm not sure if Dark II is going to have the exact same notes as Dark, but if so, it's a cocoa, coffee, peppermint, vetiver scent. Yes, Peppermint Patties might come to mind off the puck, but there is so much depth to the scent that that should pass once you start shaving with the soap.

Got it! Seems more like a winter time scent.. but I'm probably still gonna grab a set. Have you ever had any sort of irritation with it? I have the worst luck with chocolate type scents

Got it! Seems more like a winter time scent.. but I'm probably still gonna grab a set. Have you ever had any sort of irritation with it? I have the worst luck with chocolate type scents
Yeah, the timing of the release is a bit odd. But beggars can't be choosers...
No problem worry irritation, but keep in mind that the ingredients could have been tweaked!

Great review! Could not agree more. Was also hesitant about the scent after reading the description.
Very happy I made the purchase.Wife says its one of her favorites. Performance is excellent! Orangeilla now joins Madagascar and Sicily as part of my small T+S collection in the "den". Hope to add another "flavor" on the 21st. Thanks for taking time to write the review :thumbsup:
Jerry, you have been busting my chops for far too long over my soap purchases...:a13:and no I am not buying Orangeilla or whatever the heck comes down the pike from T&S on the 21st. Okay, I'll admit it, Madagascar is really nice and Sicily is close to soap nirvana. oh heck, I'll just go have a West Coast IPA (T&S) and call it a day.:001_302:

For those of you who are interested, Dark II is now on-line and up for sale. Reportedly, when compared to the original Dark, it has less peppermint and a sweeter vetiver. And all of the other soaps are back in stock except for Morocco. My plan was to purchase Dark II and Sicily. As so often happens when I realized that I could get free shipping by adding just one more soap......... I added West Indies to the order.

3 T&S soaps on the way. It has been a very good day.

For those of you who are interested, Dark II is now on-line and up for sale. Reportedly, when compared to the original Dark, it has less peppermint and a sweeter vetiver. And all of the other soaps are back in stock except for Morocco. My plan was to purchase Dark II and Sicily. As so often happens when I realized that I could get free shipping by adding just one more soap......... I added West Indies to the order.

3 T&S soaps on the way. It has been a very good day.
Well, that's quite the haul! I hope you enjoy all those fine soaps. I actually resisted the temptation and decided to skip Dark Two. I'll probably regret it at some point, but since I already have too much soap, I'm trying to limit my purchases to things that I know that I'll reach for more than one in a while. I have multiple T&S right now, so I think that I'll be ok... :a49:

Well, that's quite the haul! I hope you enjoy all those fine soaps. I actually resisted the temptation and decided to skip Dark Two. I'll probably regret it at some point, but since I already have too much soap, I'm trying to limit my purchases to things that I know that I'll reach for more than one in a while. I have multiple T&S right now, so I think that I'll be ok... :a49:

You are stronger man than I am. I think I'm going to give in and grab a set.... Haven't had a chance to try the first release of Dark and heard it was pretty popular

You are stronger man than I am. I think I'm going to give in and grab a set.... Haven't had a chance to try the first release of Dark and heard it was pretty popular
Stronger? I don't know about that! I have gone on quite the perfume buying spree over the last couple of months. One of the nice things about spending so much on fragrance is that I now have virtually no interest in strong, complex, long lasting soaps and aftershaves anymore, as they just clash with the perfume. Just a year or two ago, I would have bought all of the new Barrister & Mann and Grooming Dept. soaps as they were released. Fast forward to 2019, I will probably never buy another Grooming Dept. soap, I have yet to find a B&M Excelsior scent that I find full-tub worthy, I have sold off almost half of my shave soap and am quite content with what I have left. You know what they say, different strokes...

Last edited:

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Dark II sounds interesting i got a set. They bill it as a year round scent. I hope so. Shipping was expensive i didn't pay attention to free shipping with a certain threshold order.darn.
this will be my first t/s aftershave. Anyone care to report on what i should expect! Thx

Dark II sounds interesting i got a set. They bill it as a year round scent. I hope so. Shipping was expensive i didn't pay attention to free shipping with a certain threshold order.darn.
this will be my first t/s aftershave. Anyone care to report on what i should expect! Thx
I really hope that you enjoy the soap. I seem to recall you not being impressed with lots of T&S scents. Maybe Dark will help you turn the corner?

I remember the original Dark scent and have a tub of it around here somewhere. I really liked the Grog and Rainforest and hope they bring those two back as well. The Classic I'd purchase as well if and when they release it. Dark was more of a deeper richer scent. Yep, I bought a set, I couldn't help it. The Tallow & Steel soaps are elite and the aftershaves are exceptional. The only vendor where the matching aftershave is a must have for me.

I remember the original Dark scent and have a tub of it around here somewhere. I really liked the Grog and Rainforest and hope they bring those two back as well. The Classic I'd purchase as well if and when they release it. Dark was more of a deeper richer scent. Yep, I bought a set, I couldn't help it. The Tallow & Steel soaps are elite and the aftershaves are exceptional. The only vendor where the matching aftershave is a must have for me.
No doubt. One of the baristas in our building can somehow recognize when I've used Tallow & Steel soap and aftershave in the AM. On multiple occasions she's commented on my skin looking supple and glowing, and on all of these occasions, I shaved with T&S a couple of hours prior. Fact!

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
I really hope that you enjoy the soap. I seem to recall you not being impressed with lots of T&S scents. Maybe Dark will help you turn the corner?
Thanks
the soap experience is too good so i hope i like dark especially for year round
No doubt. One of the baristas in our building can somehow recognize when I've used Tallow & Steel soap and aftershave in the AM. On multiple occasions she's commented on my skin looking supple and glowing, and on all of these occasions, I shaved with T&S a couple of hours prior. Fact!
whoa. Now thats some post shave experience!

Stronger? I don't know about that! I have gone on quite the perfume buying spree over the last couple of months. One of the nice things about spending so much on fragrance is that I now have virtually no interest in strong, complex, long lasting soaps and aftershaves anymore, as they just clash with the perfume.

Rrose: I couldn't agree more. In general I do not like complex soap scents. I choose my colognes wisely. 99% of stuff that I try, I don't like. It seems that most colognes dry down to a similar sandalwood base. I am equally finicky about my soaps. I like the performance of A&E but I believe they are trying way too hard to create complex perfume-like scents. Not for me. They are on my sell list. Because I was so impressed with the performance of Orangeilla, I went ahead and purchased Dark II, Sicily and West Indies. Here is to hoping that the scents work for me. It is so disappointing to stick your nose in a newly purchased soap and hate the scent.

For me personally the aftershaves are where T&S stands above the rest. Their aftershaves are by far my favorite of any I have tried. They are outstanding.

I passed on Dark Two, but it was hard. T&S is one of my favorite artisans. The soaps are awesome, and the aftershaves have no equal. I have most of their stuff already, and I am REALLY trying to scale back, but it is so hard. For those of you that bought Dark Two, please share your thoughts when you get it.

Stronger? I don't know about that! I have gone on quite the perfume buying spree over the last couple of months. One of the nice things about spending so much on fragrance is that I now have virtually no interest in strong, complex, long lasting soaps and aftershaves anymore, as they just clash with the perfume. Just a year or two ago, I would have bought all of the new Barrister & Mann and Grooming Dept. soaps as they were released. Fast forward to 2019, I will probably never buy another Grooming Dept. soap, I have yet to find a B&M Excelsior scent that I find full-tub worthy, I have sold off almost half of my shave soap and am quite content with what I have left. You know what they say, different strokes...

I agree with a large part of that. I thought B&M would bring out a staple "flagship" Excelsior scent by now, but it seems the "cash cow" path has taken hold and we're to get all the old stuff in Excelsior. :yawn:

A&E rule the roost right now with daring scents in soap & AS IMO. That's not to say I like ALL their scents, but the ones I do.....:001_tt1:

I passed on Dark Two, but it was hard. T&S is one of my favorite artisans. The soaps are awesome, and the aftershaves have no equal. I have most of their stuff already, and I am REALLY trying to scale back, but it is so hard. For those of you that bought Dark Two, please share your thoughts when you get it.
Yep my thoughts exactly. While I don't have all their offerings I do have 4 with matching aftershaves. And I wonder, given the type of ingredients used, what the staying power is and when it will start to go South.

For me personally the aftershaves are where T&S stands above the rest. Their aftershaves are by far my favorite of any I have tried. They are outstanding.
Very true. I find the T&S splash to be very nourishing. I often throw some on before going to bed. My skin loves it!
Yep my thoughts exactly. While I don't have all their offerings I do have 4 with matching aftershaves. And I wonder, given the type of ingredients used, what the staying power is and when it will start to go South.

I actually asked that exact question of Ryan at Tallow & Steel, and he basically stated that the life expectancy should be one to two years. I even asked "what if I seal the soap in a pouch and stash them in a dark closet?". He replied that that would probably extend the date by a year or so. So yeah, use it or lose it, folks!

Top Bottom