What's new

Tallow ingredient pig fat?

I understand that RR uses beef tallow but there are many good soaps that do not use tallow if you want to be safe they would be the way to go.

Your question doesn't strike me as stupid in the least. I believe that that trying to live your beliefs is a laudable goal.

Tallow is *traditionally* beef, but as others have said, it is not guaranteed to be free of lard (pork is cheaper than beef, so I expect it is quire common in tallow products (which can even in some few cases be vegetable based odd as it may sound). My suggestion would be to just use a vegetable based product ( the vast majority of creams, and quite a few soaps, such as TOBS, most French soaps, and, of course vegan soaps).

Tallow soaps are great (All my favorite hard soaps are tallow based) , but there are plenty of excellent products out there that are tallow free. You could go a month or more switching from one great tallow free shaving cream or soap to the next and never repeat.

Last edited:
Tallow is primarily from beef, and sometimes sheep. Lard is pig fat. Some of us render our own tallow, and can guarantee that the origin is beef suet - there's no mistaking the two. Pig fat is very greasy and solid, beef suet is hard, drier and cuts more easily.

From a legal standpoint,the U.S. manufacturers can certainly mix in amounts of pig fat into the other animal fats and be in full compliance of labeling laws by simply calling their ingredients "tallow",the Wikipedia is correct.However,I believe this is not the standard in the shaving industry,and most all stick to non swine formulas.I would be more suspicious of cheap bars of bath soap,than quality tubs of well known shaving soaps.You can use glycerine soaps or use creams,however most creams contain glycerine,and again,this may be glycerine derived from vegetable or animal ,but which animal ??...

Yes, that's why we love artisan soaps, where someone like Michelle knows the difference and knows her ingredients. I would worry more about larger, more anonymous manufacturers, who don't care or don't know about the origins of one of their basic ingredients.

Does anyone else remember the stinky fat-collecting trucks that used to pick up from restaurants. In SF, I remember a distinctive dark-green truck, gold lettering: The Blah Blah Tallow Rendering Company. Makes you wonder.

As has already been said, don't ignore things like Arko which I very much doubt contains pork, being made in Turkey.

Thank you everybody for your comments and suggestions really appreciate it. You guys have been really helpful.

Top Bottom