What's new

tailoring question

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
does anyone know if pleated pants can be tailored to be flat front?

I've heard of it being done by the more skilled of tailors, although I'd hesitate to say that it'd come out looking as good as pants made originally flat-fronted.

If I had a suit with pleats, liked the suit otherwise, and wanted to experiment I'd certainly give it a go. I wouldn't buy a pleated-pant suit thinking "oh the tailor can fix that", thought.

My Tailor has done it and it came out great.

Then again, he also regularly takes apart a pair of jeans to customize the waist, rise, seat, thigh and length. All that while stitching them back together with the exact same thread they originally came with.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
With the correct skill set and proper funding, ANYTHING is possible.
(except getting a decent shave with canned goo)

I think it depends if it's wool or khaki style pants. Wool pants have excess fabric most of the time. But for the price of the job I'd just look into plain fronts. Also IMHO, pleats look better. If you like a different look with pleats, get them tailored with plain bottom (no cuffs) with a full break. They look classy and a little less formal.

I think it depends if it's wool or khaki style pants. Wool pants have excess fabric most of the time. But for the price of the job I'd just look into plain fronts. Also IMHO, pleats look better. If you like a different look with pleats, get them tailored with plain bottom (no cuffs) with a full break. They look classy and a little less formal.

Pleats look better if you are lean. If you are on the heavy side, they make you look wider. I like pleats but opt for plain fronts due to my height and weight.

Top Bottom