What's new

T-Rexes (Rex Club)

Hey B&B! I clicked on the subfprun to join a Rex owner group and saw we don't have one yet.

This can we a place to discuss, review, show off and answer questions about the Rex Ambassador adjustable razor.

Here is my initial review:
I prefer vintage Gillettes, with the RFB NEW, #16 and Fatboy sitting at the top of my list. I recently ventured out into modern safety razors, the Rockwell 6s being my first. I heard a lot of praise for the Rex, and after several shaves I am quite taken with it.

I have sensitive skin, so setting 4 on the Rockwell and 3 on the fatboy is more than enough.

I gave her a spin on 3.5 WTG and 2 ATG. Very easy to find the angle. The Rex holds the blade very rigid, so no chatter or issue in my trouble spots.

Has the efficieny of plate 6 on the Rockwell while being close in smoothness, and that's only at 3.5. I am prone to bumps so I'm picky about my razors, no problems here. 3.5 is still a bit much, 2.6 seems to be about the sweet spot for me after several shaves.

The Rex excels in the ATG pass, very smooth and easy to find the angle. No third pass needed as I'm sitting with true BBS after 2 passes. Really long lasting shave too over 6 hours later and no stubble.

Knurling is fantastic, it really grabs! Really fantastic shaver. One of the best razors in my den.
20180814_142116.jpg
20180813_144837.jpg
20180812_204820.jpg

Those are some fine shavers you've got there. I own two of them, the FB and 6S. I would love to find a lightly used Rex. Currently playing with a Feather AS/D2. Looks like the Rex would get under the nose a little better then the FB and 6s. Does the adjuster click into place? Can it move if you bump it during the shave?

Those are some fine shavers you've got there. I own two of them, the FB and 6S. I would love to find a lightly used Rex. Currently playing with a Feather AS/D2. Looks like the Rex would get under the nose a little better then the FB and 6s. Does the adjuster click into place? Can it move if you bump it during the shave?

It does not click, but you need both fingers to move it. Won't move during shaving! Very small profile compared to those two. I traded for mine, as I found the price point high. Having shaved with it, I would buy another if something happens to mine.

Someone once told me that if one buys it new they can return it for a full refund for a one year period. I thought that was very brave of Matt to offer that kind of purchase agreement. Not sure if it's true.

When I find the money to purchase one of these beauties I too will write a review. I love my Rockwell 6S. However, switching plates is a hassle. R1 for my head and R3 or R4 for my face. If I owned a Rex I could do this on the fly. I find my face lather dries up in the time it takes me to switch plates. I am currently using Castle Forbes Cedarwood Sandlewood so that may be part of the problem of drying. My other soaps don't dry as quickly.

So it was just mentioned on the other thread that the Rex is sealed with loctite. After searching online to see if it disassembled like the Gibbs, I came across a picture that I believe Matt from RE posted on another forum.

Here is a screenshot. If this is not allowed on this forum, let me know and I’ll delete.

Attachments

• 80EA9DA0-203B-405D-A2BC-7B56E450ED69.jpeg
    80EA9DA0-203B-405D-A2BC-7B56E450ED69.jpeg
    370.6 KB · Views: 100
Apparently to make it more difficult to disassemble easily. It is mentioned that they use a small jewelers torch to loosen them up if they have to completely disassemble them.

The idea being that RE wants you to send it to them for repairs? And if it is a few years old, for a fee? That doesn't sound right.

The idea being that RE wants you to send it to them for repairs? And if it is a few years old, for a fee? That doesn't sound right.

More like to stop someone from accidentally taking it apart and mess up the mechanics. The razor is guaranteed for life, so there wouldn't be any repair fees anyway. (Unless you throw it off a bridge)

Now I bet if you took it apart it would void the lifetime warranty.

Per Matt at Razor Emporium / Rex:
"The handle screws onto the head. We just use thread lock to keep it on as our prototyping indicated that consumers were confused when it would come apart unintentionally.

When we service the razor we use a small jewelers torch to heat the joint up and it comes off without problem."

Hey B&B! I clicked on the subfprun to join a Rex owner group and saw we don't have one yet.

This can we a place to discuss, review, show off and answer questions about the Rex Ambassador adjustable razor.
Thanks @zed117 for starting this up. I really like my Rex Ambassador and always look forward to it when it comes up in my rotation. It is a well built piece of equipment.

Top Bottom