What's new

Synthetic vs. All-Natural

Uh oh... :tongue_sm

Personally, I prefer a natural stone because they tend to leave an edge that I prefer.

However, I think synthetics are very very good, and they a little easier to learn to use IMO. Additionally, I think the final edges are not vastly different. It's my feeling that the differences would be almost imperceptible to a new shaver (assuming quality honing jobs were completed on each type of stone)

I have used both synthetic and natural hones. I shaved off a Swaty three-line, which is a synthetic hone, for many years and it did a great job. When my Swaty went lost during a move, I replaced it with a Norton 4K/8K. It also does the job but I grew to hate it, mostly because it wasn't like my Swaty: big, heavy, too wide, needs to be lapped a lot, needs to be soaked in water, etc. After that, I started using natural hones and I like them because I can hold them in my hand, they don't need to be soaked, don't need to be lapped as much and give very fine edges. I have several coticules, a Charnley Forest hone, a Chinese 12K and a Jnat. I'm sure the Naniwas, Shaptons, etc., are all fine hones. I've never used them and I probably never will given the fact that I am absolutely delighted with the edge that I get of my combo BBW/Coticule and Awaseto Honyama. For me, I can't image it could get any better.

I use synths on the low end (mostly) because they tend to be faster than the naturals I've tried.

I use naturals on the high end because high end Synths cost far more than I can justify spending on them. I would like to try a shapton 15k one of these days, but I'm waiting until I see one prelapped and cheap on eBay or BST. I expect I've got a long wait ahead of me.

You could certainly use only Synths or only Nats if you wanted to.

Two different animals.
Synthetics are consistent and readily available, but in my opinion you will never get the finish you can get from a natural stone.
A good quality Jnat stone can reach grit as fine as CrO, which you can never achieve with a synthetic stone.
My current progression is 1.3.5.8k synthetics, mid range Jnat (crappy 330mate Nakayama stone), then good quality Asagi for final finish.
I am waiting for a mid range Suita to arrive that will eliminate my 5 and 8k stones. I will later probably get a coticule to completely switch away from synthetic stones.
To make your mind about which system you like, you just have to try for your self. You can visit a honemeister or attend a SR meet, where people bring stones. You can also, if you have money to spend, buy stones and test what you like.

Last edited:
OP: Are you talking about finishers or the entire progression? From the way you phrased the title, it looks like whole progression.

I can't answer, because I've not tried ever hone out there - not even close. I prefer synthetics up through 8k because I wasn't happy with the naturals I'd tried (aoto, bbw/coti, dt, non-finisher nakayama - I think that's all so far). Not that they are bad stones, but I got tired of the inconsistancy and having to use slurry.

For finishers, I'm pretty much in the use what you have camp, because finishers tend to be expensive. I used to use my coti because all I had was a King 1k and coti/bbw. Then I got the C12k cause it was cheap and I preferred the edges to the coti. Then I was giften an Asagi. Then I got a vintage Thuringian in a lot. Now I use the Thurry and the Asagi because I prefer the edges off those and the speed at which they cut.

In the end, it is entirely personal preference (and I include budget considerations in personal preference, because the way you value your money to the way you value a hone is a personal preference).

I've used both . I like the nortons . Since i have masterd the coticule i love the edge it can produce and it is my favourite by far .

Top Bottom