What's new

Synthetic Shaving Brush Pass Around

I received the box yesterday. I'm going to try and repopulate the sign-up list and send it out again. I really hope this thing keeps going.

Glad to see this has still been making the rounds. I just posted in the other thread in General Shaving about it. Hope people find it humorous.

If this pass around is still accepting new participants, I would like to participate. I'm not as knowledgeable about brushes as many of the participants, but I'm already seeing a need to get an additional brush(es) & would like to try some synthetics to see if any would be right for me.

Make/ModelKnot SizeLoftTotal HeightWeight
Maggard B&W 100T Tuxedo(my benchmark)20mm46mm99mm39g
APShaveCo SynBad24mm56mm120mm__g
THIS WEEK'S BRUSH:
APShaveCo SynBad (24 mm/56 mm; 120 mm total height, __ g.) Forgive my use of the stock photo, but my camera images were not nearly as accurate as the stock photo.
synbad.jpg

synbad top.jpg

THIS WEEK’S SOAP:
ToOBS Sandalwood & ToOBS St. James Luxury
Handle: The heavy Ruby Ripple handle looks nice and feels nice in the hand. It is like most of the barber-style resin handles, but certainly appreciate a rippled color.

Softness/Feel of the Knot: This knot has really soft tips and really didn't have much scritch. This is a really soft knot.

Backbone: This knot has the soft-tips of a tuxedo, but not nearly the backbone. Great with the ToOBS.

Splay: The knot opened up well, without much pressure and would certainly be a great candidate for a daily brush/razor combination.

Water Retention: It held the water well and could hold more or less depending on how I decided to use it.

Loading Soap: This brush was able to load and hold the lather great.

Building Lather: The brush lathered up nicely, the lather was good and rich. Like so many of the synthetic brushes, it rendered a nice manual release of the lather.

Summary: This brush arrived to the pass-around a bit late, but with a great deal of excitement and enthusiasm. Since I would have a couple of days with the brush, I decided to try it in a number of different way: 3-days growth, 2-days growth, and 24 hrs later. In the end, this brush worked on my face best without more than 2-days growth. The softness of the brush and tips really made the creaminess of the lather more noticeable without much stubble. As the stubble was longer, the more the bristles were influenced by the extra growth. This brush could be a serious go-to brush for summer sunburns.
Other information related to the brush:
The knot is set at a depth of 12mm
The knot has an overall height of 68mm
The handle has an opening of 26mm

I would rate this brush around the the Timberwolf Grey, setting a preference based on one's expectation of the firmness of backbone. It's a brush that really reminds me of the Cashmere.

Mühle Silvertip Fibre > Vie Long Silvertip Extra Soft
B&W Maggard Synthetic > Timberwolf Grey(Satin Tip Handle) APShaveCo SynBad > RazoRock Plissoft = Whipped Dog Satin Tip The Purest > Stirling Kong > L'Occitane Plisson > Edwin Jagger Silvertip > Zenith TS 505AK > Omega Hi-Brush

Make/ModelKnot SizeLoftTotal HeightWeight
Maggard B&W 100T Tuxedo(my benchmark)20mm46mm99mm39g
APShaveCo SynBad24mm56mm120mm__g
THIS WEEK'S BRUSH:
APShaveCo SynBad (24 mm/56 mm; 120 mm total height, __ g.) Forgive my use of the stock photo, but my camera images were not nearly as accurate as the stock photo.
View attachment 885816
View attachment 885817

THIS WEEK’S SOAP:
ToOBS Sandalwood & ToOBS St. James Luxury
Handle: The heavy Ruby Ripple handle looks nice and feels nice in the hand. It is like most of the barber-style resin handles, but certainly appreciate a rippled color.

Softness/Feel of the Knot: This knot has really soft tips and really didn't have much scritch. This is a really soft knot.

Backbone: This knot has the soft-tips of a tuxedo, but not nearly the backbone. Great with the ToOBS.

Splay: The knot opened up well, without much pressure and would certainly be a great candidate for a daily brush/razor combination.

Water Retention: It held the water well and could hold more or less depending on how I decided to use it.

Loading Soap: This brush was able to load and hold the lather great.

Building Lather: The brush lathered up nicely, the lather was good and rich. Like so many of the synthetic brushes, it rendered a nice manual release of the lather.

Summary: This brush arrived to the pass-around a bit late, but with a great deal of excitement and enthusiasm. Since I would have a couple of days with the brush, I decided to try it in a number of different way: 3-days growth, 2-days growth, and 24 hrs later. In the end, this brush worked on my face best without more than 2-days growth. The softness of the brush and tips really made the creaminess of the lather more noticeable without much stubble. As the stubble was longer, the more the bristles were influenced by the extra growth. This brush could be a serious go-to brush for summer sunburns.
Other information related to the brush:
The knot is set at a depth of 12mm
The knot has an overall height of 68mm
The handle has an opening of 26mm

I would rate this brush around the the Timberwolf Grey, setting a preference based on one's expectation of the firmness of backbone. It's a brush that really reminds me of the Cashmere.

Mühle Silvertip Fibre > Vie Long Silvertip Extra Soft
B&W Maggard Synthetic > Timberwolf Grey(Satin Tip Handle) APShaveCo SynBad > RazoRock Plissoft = Whipped Dog Satin Tip The Purest > Stirling Kong > L'Occitane Plisson > Edwin Jagger Silvertip > Zenith TS 505AK > Omega Hi-Brush
Great review!! and I love the handle!! I prefer soft tips but stiffer backbone, but see the value of a softer backbone in case of sunburn. Now that spring has finally arrived in the Great Northeast, sunburn is definitely part of the equation!!

I love the look of that SynBad!
+1

Don’t misunderstand my assessment, it has backbone, just less than the Tuxedo, meaning it actually splays with more ease than the Tuxedo. It has more backbone than the APShaveCo Cashmere and Maggard Beige.
My version of 3-days growth almost needs a Boar.

Brush #Supplemental - APShaveCo SynBad 24mm

Why: Uber awesome handle, and the whole package is in my sweet spot for brushes

My review: my experience is very nearly the same as @REV579. Pictures do not do justice to this handle...beautiful, iridescent, fits my hand so nicely, just amazing handle. The knot is a good size, 24mm-26mm seems to be a good size for me and where I'm at with my shaving adventure. Because of the Memorial Day holiday, I got a couple of extra turns using Wild West Aces and Eights, Sudsy Soapery Lavender and Peppermint, and TOBS Sandalwood; the brush handled each one just fine.

Knot notes: this is a soft knot. It does hold water well and spreads the lather nicely...but...I prefer a soft tip knot with stiffer backbone. Definitely personal preference.

YMMV: Stirling Kong = Omega Hi Brush = Timberwolf Grey = APShaveCo Synbad > Hunter's Brush = Crown King > Whipped Dog > Zenith TS = L'Occitane Plisson > Maggard B&W = Vintage Muhle

Next: brush is currently drying in preparation for shipping to @mightyeskimo.

I wish I could participate. I think I only have 41 posts.

Welcome to B&B! It's great to have you here! I know the post limit can seem like a bummer but there are some very good reasons behind this. I'm sure you'll find a lot of great discussions happening all around the boards. I'll make sure to keep track of where you're at and we'll be happy to get you involved as soon as possible. Thank you so much for your understanding.

What part of the country are you in and what brought you to the world of wet shaving?

Top Bottom