What's new

Synthetic menthol soaps?

The rerelease of noble otter orbit has been out a few weeks seems like nobody has been talking about it... I have been tempted to order, but have never tried synthetic menthol and debated waiting for B&M terror and summer break soaps has one called rope swing I see no idea on strength of that. I don't particularly like super strong menthol like stirling glacials, but everyonce in a while they are ok. I do like the regular ones I have tried like iced pineapple, MITA etc. and even a little milder a used CRSW limenthol How cold are these compared to those? I also wondered maybe I should just order the aftershave. I do like cryogen aftershave and I do get a little teary eyed from menthol, which synthetic menthol supposedly doesn't cause. Does the soap menthol last by itself, or is it mainly the AS synthetic menthol that lasts?

Last edited:
Apparently, and don't quote me on this...the benefit of synthetic menthols are that they don't create a toxic vapour that opens sinuses and makes eyes water. They're softer on the skin whilst still being cooling etc. I have no personal experience with this at all but thats what I've been told. Makes sense to me though, otherwise why bother going synthetic if its identical to standard menthol. Menthol isn't expensive enough to warrant that kind of R&D.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
I like menthol. I’ve got bm terror synthetic. The soap is noticeable during use but not overly strong. The soap menthol doesn’t last after the rinse off. The aftershave is the strongest menthol of anything I’ve tried. Scale of 1-10 it’s a 20. It’s cold. I like it but if you do not like glacial you may not like this. I have to remember to throughly wash my hands with soap and water after applying it because if I just use water hours later it’s still active on my hands. I’ve rubbed my eyebrow inadvertently and felt the burn. I feel like I can get used to regular menthol but synthetic is high does every time.

I have menthol of stirling, paa and b&m terror. And I really like menthol.
I like them all, not sure if terror does not give some reactions since I tend to use a mentholated pre shave from either paa or stirling which both open up sinuses (paa muuuch more).

good excuse for some ice ice baby tomorrow…

I have Orbit from a previous run, maybe 2019. I actually like the cooling in it, it's very mild. I cant handle the super strong ones like the Stirling Glacials, which is a bummer. But Orbit is very nice, with just a bit of chill.

I like menthol. I’ve got bm terror synthetic. The soap is noticeable during use but not overly strong. The soap menthol doesn’t last after the rinse off. The aftershave is the strongest menthol of anything I’ve tried. Scale of 1-10 it’s a 20. It’s cold. I like it but if you do not like glacial you may not like this. I have to remember to throughly wash my hands with soap and water after applying it because if I just use water hours later it’s still active on my hands. I’ve rubbed my eyebrow inadvertently and felt the burn. I feel like I can get used to regular menthol but synthetic is high does every time.
I just don't like the shaving soap to be too cold more of a regular level, I like to be able to feel my face while I am shaving for feedback. Afterwards, for aftershave I could care less osage rub is weak to me and I want it to last longer than cryogen does.

I just don't like the shaving soap to be too cold more of a regular level, I like to be able to feel my face while I am shaving for feedback. Afterwards, for aftershave I could care less osage rub is weak to me and I want it to last longer than cryogen does.
I tend to wet my face
Apply mentholated pre shave (paa black is strongest)
Put a hot towel on top
Wait to go from steam room to deep freeze while cleaning my sinuses
And do a normal lather and shave

Terror as a preshave under a warm towel
Well definitely no sinus or eye issues compared to paa a bit boring imho

so that synthetic menthol versus normal menthol might be correct

but to meeeee I like the burn 🔥 of 🧊 so I would prefer the real deal and lots of it as in paa mentholated pre shave cubes or in stirling glacials especially the black ice with anis…

Attachments

• 2BA44DCF-65AF-45F9-8790-C5599F4D5C89.jpeg
    2BA44DCF-65AF-45F9-8790-C5599F4D5C89.jpeg
    156.1 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Then you should try terror!

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Stirling sells a liquid menthol additive I’m not sure if it’s synthetic I haven’t used it yet it. It came with a broken dropper top and I haven’t addressed that yet.
I typically use menthol crystal in my aftershave to spike it. If you like the burn just add it yourself and the sky is the limit.

I typically use menthol crystal in my aftershave to spike it. If you like the burn just add it yourself and the sky is the limit.
How much do you add? This is exactly what I had in mind when I ordered some crystals which arrived a few days ago. Do you just add, test, add, etc.? Or do you continue until the crystals won't dissolve any more? ;)

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Stirling Frost Drops. I use them and I like them a lot. A liquid strikes me as a more elegant solution than crystals, personally.
How many drops do you use?

I’m accustomed to putting a good spoonful of crystals into a new bottle of aftershave. I go by the eye but that amount hits the right note.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
How much do you add? This is exactly what I had in mind when I ordered some crystals which arrived a few days ago. Do you just add, test, add, etc.? Or do you continue until the crystals won't dissolve any more? ;)
Oh I didn’t see this sorry for two posts

I use a soup spoon and just go by the eye. Not a full rounded spoonful but a good amount. Then I shake up to dissolve it. Non alcohol aftershave can be hard to dissolve the crystals. I tried melting the crystals with the gas burner but once the liquid hit the non alcoholic aftershave it solidified. Plus I felt like so wrong doing that lol

How many drops do you use?
I bowl lather and I've found five to eight drops is the "sweet spot". I find that's enough to get a good menthol "kick", without going overboard.

Edit: I see now you're wanting to add Frost Drops to your aftershave? I'd probably try something on the lower end of my scale, say three to five drops in a 3oz bottle of AS, just as a suggestion... You can always add more.

Last edited:

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
I bowl lather and I've found five to eight drops is the "sweet spot". That's enough for a menthol "kick" without going overboard, IMO.
Ah ok tbh I’ve never thought of adding it to the lather I’ve always added menthol to aftershave. Something new to try.

Ah ok tbh I’ve never thought of adding it to the lather I’ve always added menthol to aftershave. Something new to try.
Yeah, I just realized you were wanting to use Frost Drops in your AS. I think we simul-posted as I was editing my previous...

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Yeah, I just realized you were wanting to use Frost Drops in your AS. I think we simul-posted as I was editing my previous...
I face lather. I’m more nervous about ruining soap by adding stuff than aftershave for some reason. I have the terror soap but I’m not a huge fan of menthol soap. It’s fun but can be distracting.

Oh I didn’t see this sorry for two posts

I use a soup spoon and just go by the eye. Not a full rounded spoonful but a good amount. Then I shake up to dissolve it. Non alcohol aftershave can be hard to dissolve the crystals. I tried melting the crystals with the gas burner but once the liquid hit the non alcoholic aftershave it solidified. Plus I felt like so wrong doing that lol
Nice, thanks! I had another look at my tub of menthol crystals, and on the bottom it actually says "Use: Soluble in water, oil and alcohol. Dosage: 0,1 - 5%". So I dumped about 1,6 - 2 grams into a 50ml travel size Clubman Brandy Spice. I felt like Walter White there for a moment. I haven't tried it yet, but figured I will tonight.

IMG_20210612_221800.jpg

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Nice, thanks! I had another look at my tub of menthol crystals, and on the bottom it actually says "Use: Soluble in water, oil and alcohol. Dosage: 0,1 - 5%". So I dumped about 1,6 - 2 grams into a 50ml travel size Clubman Brandy Spice. I felt like Walter White there for a moment. I haven't tried it yet, but figured I will tonight.

View attachment 1280948
That’s going to be one small bottle of fire!

Top Bottom