What's new

Synthetic for face lathering

I have 2 synthetic brushes, simpson chubby 2 and muhle silver tip travel brush. Great for bowls.
I don't find them as good as my badger for face lathering, being too springy and lather splashes around the bathroom!
What synthetic brush do you find best for face lathering. No particular budget in mind

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Odd, I used to travel a lot when I was working and for some 10 years I used exclusively a RV Shaving brush with a small Muehle STF knot, 19 mm. Always face lathered on the road, and never had any issue. It worked fine with either creams or a shave stick.
This brush was the one that saw most use during a year.....

I only fling lather if I load too much lather on the brush. Maybe try a handle of your chance with a G5C knot? A little less stiff/dense than the G5A and G5B

I almost exclusively face lather; I found SynBad and Cashmere knots to splay easily and work well for face lathering. They do tend to fling lather a bit more than a natural fiber brush, though. SynBad feels like it has more backbone than a Cashmere; Cashmere feels like it is even softer. I generally reach for these (and am looking at a 30 mm Cashmere fan bulb), but also enjoy a silvertip badger and a Semogue SOC boar. APShaveCo does a great job with those knots, btw . . . I just wish that they had more handle variety.

I've given away every synthetic I've come across. I don't get why a anyone would own one aside from the no animal products thing, which is a choice I respect.

I have never experienced the "lather flinging" thing ever, even with my RR Plissoft, which is the definition of floppy and no backbone. I suppose it comes down to how you use the brush. The PAA Atomic Rocket (Plissoft with more backbone) works well for me. Other newer PAA knots too, but they might be boring to badger users.
Recently I discovered that I like boars very much. I.e.: Zenith 27mm bleached, or Proraso Pro (by Omega). They are plenty soft when broken in, splay naturally and have tons of backbone. The only downside is that you need to break them in.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Nothing worse then a springy synthetic brush.

My Plisson La Maison du Barbier is a tied knot, versus a glued knot. If the glue bump sits too high above the base of the brush handle? It tends to make the synthetic bristles stiffer and springier? While the brush knot may still ‘splay’, it will tend to fling lather.

IMG_1511.jpeg

I've given away every synthetic I've come across. I don't get why a anyone would own one aside from the no animal products thing, which is a choice I respect.

While I do of course respect your opinion, my experience has been different.

One obvious advantage is that synthetic brushes dry quicker, are more robust than natural fibres, and suffer less from residual moisture when one travels and does not have the time to dry them out completely. As I used to spend every month several nights away from home that was an important advantage for me.

The Mühle Silvertip Fibre® was IMO the first synthetic that could give badger brushes a good run for the money. Quality synthetics hitting the market since tend to perform very well, are equally suited to soaps and creams, and whip up a lather with some difficult to lather soaps easier than some natural hair brushes.

The best of them have become excellent all-rounders and I carry at least one of them on overnight trips.

B.

Last edited:
What synthetic brush do you find best for face lathering. No particular budget in mind

Top Bottom