What's new

Synthetic Brushes?

RazoRock Plissoft on the left, RazoRock Plissoft Silvertip on the right.
Both are really, really nice. Flip a coin and take your pick. You're gonna love either one.
Or better yet, ..... splurge a little, be good to yourself, and buy both !

IMG_1859.JPG

Omega makes a really great, stiff synthetic. I believe its the, "S" brush. Ive got one thats supposed to be a synthetic boar bristle and its awesome. Great backbone.

Murses, in spite my not-so-fond memories of the 6 months I spent at North Fort Polk, La in 1969-70, you're welcome to a synthetic brush (link) that I've only used 3x in 2 years. It may have some (barely noticeable) hairline cracks in the bottom, from a drop, but the price is right (free). Lots of backbone, too much for my circular style of lathering, but it paints on well as I remember. PM me your address if interested.

I was at Ft Polk at the same time. Ugh. Yuck. And worse.

1 - Plissoft (Razorock)
2 - Omega S-Brush
3 - Chubby 2

Did I miss any other major types of synthetic brushes?

Edit: It is amazing how these Plissoft knots have taken over the entire synthetic market. Just YouTube "Plissoft" and you'll see men fawning over these!

Last edited:
I use the new maggard synths. They are very springy and have a backbone comparable to my badger brush plus much more softness at the tips. And they don't hog lather. Win/win/win. (Their pricing is also amazing. I think mine was less than 20$)

I am restoring an old brush, and ordered a Maggard synth to replace the tired old knot. Haven't used it yet (should be another couple of days before I'm done with the resto), but just feeling the new knot in my hand is amazing, the tips are incredibly soft. The prices are astoundingly cheap, so if this is even halfway decent to use I'll be super happy.

I was able to lather and use Cella (from the brick) easily in a scuttle and on my face. An extremely pleasant and warm experience with this: Amazon.com: RazoRock BARBER HANDLE Plissoft Synthetic Shaving Brush - 24mm: Health & Personal Care
It actually holds onto a lot of water and heat. I scooped up a half-gram of Cella from my slice of the brick. I applied it to my face and to my bowl to test it out. Worked great.
Cella doesn't like too much water. It prefers a wet but not drenched/soaked/leaking brush. Your face and bowl can be wet. Make sure the bowl doesn't have a pool of water. This was easy to do. I made an excellent, creamy, slick, and warm lather. Not at all foamy. The amount of slickness and cushioning that remained after my first pass was amazing. I did the second pass without even re-applying that much lather.

Full Disclosure: I hate badger brushes. I love boar knots (think Omega 10098). But, I decided to move onto synthetics because I find the idea of using animal hair on my face to be gross.

Maggard 26mm Synthetic. Perfect size, good feel in hand and is an awesome face lathering machine. Great mix of soft tips and good backbone. Creams, croaps or hard soaps makes no difference. It works, Beautifully. Last thing, $13.95. Enough said.
IMG_0716.JPG

Maggard 26mm Synthetic. Perfect size, good feel in hand and is an awesome face lathering machine. Great mix of soft tips and good backbone. Creams, croaps or hard soaps makes no difference. It works, Beautifully. Last thing, $13.95. Enough said.
View attachment 797595

I agree with Gus. My Maggard synthetic arrived last night and I used it this a.m.

First, I am not a big fan of the Plissoft Cade brush; I find it too floppy and, for me, it lacks sufficient backbone. However, this brush is an exception. It has soft tips but has sufficient backbone to lather any soap. Plus, the backbone eliminates my messing up the mirror happens with many synthetic brushes that seem to have a hard time keeping lather on the brush. So, my wife is pleased with my latest purchase. :001_302:

The brush is huge: a plus in my opinion. Unlike some synthetics, it holds enough lather for me to do a four pass shave on my face and two pass shave on my head.

As Gus said, this brush is an incredible buy.

Maggard.JPG

I've been using a Satin Tip "The Purest" black bristle. I believe the blades grimm offer them through that big discount sale site. I think mine was $20. I use it a lot and if it gets beat up that's fine. Less prep work and maintenance then a real hair brush, dries fast, great for travel.

I agree with Gus. My Maggard synthetic arrived last night and I used it this a.m.

First, I am not a big fan of the Plissoft Cade brush; I find it too floppy and, for me, it lacks sufficient backbone. However, this brush is an exception. It has soft tips but has sufficient backbone to lather any soap. Plus, the backbone eliminates my messing up the mirror happens with many synthetic brushes that seem to have a hard time keeping lather on the brush. So, my wife is pleased with my latest purchase. :001_302:

The brush is huge: a plus in my opinion. Unlike some synthetics, it holds enough lather for me to do a four pass shave on my face and two pass shave on my head.

As Gus said, this brush is an incredible buy.

View attachment 798141
Lay it on'em! :punk:

Wow guys, been a while since I got to check this, but thanks for the overwhelming number of reviews here. You guys are awesome. It's so hot and muggy down here that I feel like synthetics are just a better bet than animal hair because they're resistant to residual moisture. I haven't pulled the trigger on anything yet because we found out that we are expecting about a month ago, and while I wanted to spoil myself with a new brush, I knew it was wiser to start putting my shave budget towards baby expenses. However, there are all kinds of holidays to be had, and I'm thinking a 24 or 26 mm Maggard might be on the list.

G'day B&B ;)

Has anybody experience the RazoRock Plissoft "BEEHIVE" Synthetic XL size 28/63mm knot click here, wanted to know if this knot splay very well and not too springy.

Cheers :thumbup1:

proxy.php
proxy.php

Wow guys, been a while since I got to check this, but thanks for the overwhelming number of reviews here. You guys are awesome. It's so hot and muggy down here that I feel like synthetics are just a better bet than animal hair because they're resistant to residual moisture. I haven't pulled the trigger on anything yet because we found out that we are expecting about a month ago, and while I wanted to spoil myself with a new brush, I knew it was wiser to start putting my shave budget towards baby expenses. However, there are all kinds of holidays to be had, and I'm thinking a 24 or 26 mm Maggard might be on the list.
I have two Maggard 24's. I still prefer good badger, my favorites being a Chubby 2 in Best and a Thater 4125 in 2 band silver. That being said, I would take the Maggard over most of the cheaper, lower grade badgers I have seen and used. My first brush years ago was a synth and it was terrible. These new ones are thousands of times better. As for the usual pluses: They do indeed dry much faster, but I have found that I am using just as much soap with the synths, you just have to get the lather out of the badgers for second and third passes. A gentle squeeze from the middle of the hairs sliding your fingers towards the tips gets it done for me. With the synths the lather is released on its own. Sometimes I will give them a little squeeze as well, but less lather comes out.

I think my last comment could come across as a bit critical to some so I just wanted to clarify. The Maggard 24 really is a good brush. I haven't used the 26, but I'm sure it is also good. One of mine has a custom wooden handle, but the other is the green marble-look 24 that comes as a complete brush. It is a nice looking handle with some weight and a pleasing shape. It does get narrow in the middle where you will hold it. That could be an issue for people with large thick fingers. My fingers are long and thin which allows me to use just about any brush.

Congrats on the news my friend! When you have a chance, just pm me. I think I can help you with your shave brush dilemma....

Top Bottom