What's new

Synthetic brush recommendations?

I like Stirling's two band synthetic, West Coast Shavings Lantern Synthetic, and I have three Simpson's in Synthetic, Trafalgar T2, Trafalgar T3 and Petrol Head. All very nice inexpensive synthetics. I also have a Fine Stout Synthetic that's nice, but the others are my favorites.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
@Rudy Vey AS3M with 25mm Mühle STF knot
EJ or Mühle 25mm STF
Simpson Trafalgar T2
AP Shave Co. 24mm Synbad
AP Shave Co. 24mm Cashmere
PAA Peregrino 24mm Roswell Hybrid

These are all synthetic brushes I have and use. Suitable for bowl or face lathering. Easy on the face. The last four are all less than $40.

Hope this helps. :)

The technology of synthetic shave brushes has improved dramatically in the last few years. It's hard to find a bad one. I tend toward the Yaqi brushes. Many styles, shapes, colors to choose from. They have an annual 11/11 sale in November. If you can wait, or if you want to expand your collection, the regular prices are very good. Many of the other brands available are really Yaqi made and just rebranded.

It will be hard to go wrong with almost any newer brushes. Your face is unique and you just have to find one (some) that fits your preferences.

I picked up a brush with a 24 mm Synbad knot from APShaveCo about a month ago and have been using it for most of my shaves. It has plenty of backbone, splays really well, and is really soft on the face. I can highly recommend it.

I don't think any of the newer synth brushes I have tried would irritate even the most sensitive skin. Some or soft, some very soft, others insanely soft. For what it's worth, my favourite atm is the Omega Evo, which has a really nice, comfortable handle and a very soft knot with decent backbone. However, any of the Yaqi brushes with a Tuxedo knot are very nearly as good, and much cheaper.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
@Rudy Vey AS3M with 25mm Mühle STF knot
EJ or Mühle 25mm STF
Simpson Trafalgar T2
AP Shave Co. 24mm Synbad
AP Shave Co. 24mm Cashmere
PAA Peregrino 24mm Roswell Hybrid

These are all synthetic brushes I have and use. Suitable for bowl or face lathering. Easy on the face. The last four are all less than $40.

Hope this helps. :)

Also need to add my three 'Desert Island' @Graydog brushes, two with Turn-n-Shave 26mm Full Moon knots and one with a Turn-n-Shave 26mm Silver Synth knot. :)

I have a 30mm synthetic knot from Whipped Dog and it's like lathering with a big fluffy cloud, the most beautiful brush ever.

The price is very reasonable and best of all Larry is a great guy to deal with.

For softness, nothing I’ve tried beats a Boss knot, like the one found in the West Coast Shaving 2-tone handles.

Having said that, I don’t like bowl-lathering with synthetics, they always drag on the base of the bowl creating a suction effect, and are not fun to use this way for me. I love boars for bowl lathering and there’s plenty soft ones, the Omega Pro 49 in particular. That’s the softest boar I’ve used.

I don't think any of the newer synth brushes I have tried would irritate even the most sensitive skin.
I just recently bought an Acqua di Parma travel brush which I feel has a decent backbone with quite a bit of scritch. Compared to the old Plisson that I have I think it could be seen as something that might irritate sensitive skin.

My pick for you would be the RazoRock Plissoft synthetic brushes (Monster, Barber, Big Bruce, etc.) in the neighborhood of $20. I find mine to be a lather monster with all soaps, even softer ones, which approach creams (you said you use creams). The brush fibers are also soft to the touch, so they shouldn't irritate your skin.

I also have an Omega Sintex synthetic ($8 or so) and a Muhle Silvertip Fiber synthetic ($50+, depending on vendor). The Omega is scratchier and rougher than the RazoRock, similar to a low loft boar brush. The Muhle, which works fairly well for me, is firmer than the RazoRock and not as soft to the touch, and I have the "medium" size version with a reasonably sized knot but a very small handle that is almost too small for my hands.

Many here like the Yaqi synthetic brushes, but I have never tried them.

Hope this helps.

My Edwin Jagger with Mule STF fibres works nicely. It’s not a patch on my badger brushes but I like to keep it for use in the shower.

I've used around 60+ synthetic brushes and 40+ badger brushes (and 20+ boars) over the years and my favorite brush is a synthetic.

And that synthetic is the muhle/EJ silvertip fibre XL. I just can't get enough of this brush. It responds like a silvertip badger with the benefits of a synthetic. It literally brings out the best of all my soaps!!

They are expensive but totally worth it given must guys buy several inexpensive synthetics so it adds up to the same amount anyway.

This is my "for life" brush. I have 2xEJ and 1xMuhle. All in XL size.

Top Bottom