What's new

Sushi

Anyone here make their own sushi? I'm just getting into sushi (only had it about 4 times) but love to cook. Living near Seattle there is no shortage of good quality fish so I guess I'm curious how you started and if you have any good recommendations/recipes to share.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
@10pht

Sushi is not just about the rice. It includes a quality nori, fish, shrimp, crab or vegetable, etc. Rolling the darn thing is art.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
The best part about sushi is that it's the perfect excuse to get yourself a nice sushi knife.

Ftfy~ Aaron

Last edited by a moderator:

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
When you are doing it for yourself you can eat the disasters. It is fun. Bit of finely chopped carrot, avocado, cucumbers. Sheet of nori down on the sushi mat. Sprinkle with sesame seeds. Spread out sticky rice. Add the veg and slowly roll. (I like veggie sushi).

Been making sushi wrecks for decades. Good stuff.

I find the main issue with making it at home is the lack of variation. I usually stick with tuna and make some California rolls and that is about it.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Legion

Staff member
When I was a boy my father fancied himself as pretty good at making asian cuisine (actually, he had been taught by people who really knew their stuff, so he was pretty good.)

I remember him making the rice for the sushi, and as he poured and mixed in the flavour mixture (the recipe for which I can no longer remember) into the rice, he had me fan it like crazy to cool it quickly. Apparently this gave it a nice "glaze".

Seems like a lot of trouble to go to for home sushi, but that was him.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
When I was a boy my father fancied himself as pretty good at making asian cuisine (actually, he had been taught by people who really knew their stuff, so he was pretty good.)

I remember him making the rice for the sushi, and as he poured and mixed in the flavour mixture (the recipe for which I can no longer remember) into the rice, he had me fan it like crazy to cool it quickly. Apparently this gave it a nice "glaze".

Seems like a lot of trouble to go to for home sushi, but that was him.

I recall an interview with Masaharu Morimoto (Iron Chef) where he talked about apprentice sushi chefs being only allowed to make the rice for some crazy amount of time before being allowed to do anything else. Practice makes perfect. I'm sure my rice is far from even ok for the professionals but it is still fun and ok for my use.

I recall an interview with Masaharu Morimoto (Iron Chef) where he talked about apprentice sushi chefs being only allowed to make the rice for some crazy amount of time before being allowed to do anything else. Practice makes perfect. I'm sure my rice is far from even ok for the professionals but it is still fun and ok for my use.

I think 3 years. Then vegetables. The last thing they learn is the fish. The whole apprenticeship is crazy long -- might be 10 years -- and that's only if the "master" says you've become good enough..
Watch "Jiro Dreams of Sushi". A really good look at the art and practice. I also found "Sushi: The Global Catch" to be pretty interesting as well.

After living in Japan, I am a sushi snob and very rarely eat it these days.

I would suggest that if you are serious about learning to make sushi, that you get a recipe for rice and learn to make it. Whilst you are getting that down, you can practice slicing fish so that it looks attractive. At least at home you can eat the "uglies".

I've done it. It was tasty. I won't make it again.

I thought it was a ton of work and I won't make it enough, or enough of it to justify purchasing all the ingredients that I would ideally use! I didn't think the rice was all that tough to make. Then again some of you would probably have thrown my rice in the trash lol.

Everybody here has made sense. The first thing I thought of, though, was the knife. If it's not a good sharp one, you can make a mess of a nice piece of fish.

Assuming you have the rice right, one fun alternative option is chirashizushi, which translated as "loose" or "scattered" sushi.
Imagine a bowl of vinegared sushi rice with piece of fish, ikura (salmon roe), shredded nori, strips of snow peas, and golden threads, which are thin strips of omelette.

Top Bottom