What's new

Supply Provisions razor mild plate?

I have a Supply V2 razor with the medium plate only and, after some initial misgivings, do enjoy using it. However, I find it rather mild and believe I could get better shaves with the more aggressive plate. Unfortunately, I see the latter is only available to buy as a pair with the mild plate, which I would have no reason to use. This set me to wondering if anybody actually likes the mild plate (I don't think I've seen one review from a user who does) and why Supply have bundled it up in this way.

I generally prefer milder razors, so when I got a few too many cuts with the 2-dot plate, I switched to the 1-dot (mild) plate. Then it was a real feast for vampires. I tried this several times with new blades and got the same results, probably because it took more pressure to get a reasonably close shave. So last weekend I tried the 3-dot plate for the first time. I gotta say, the shave was great, no blood, with only gentle pressure required. I'm sure Supply likes the profit from the package with two optional plates, but I would never have know how good the 3-dot plate was if I'd just bought the 1-dot plate.

The main issue I have with the injector concept is that you have to be quite careful that the blades are pushed to the right in the cartridge, otherwise the sharp edge drags across the near-side blade stop during insertion (which happened to me the first time). I prefer to hand load the blade (after first palm stropping to tame it a bit), which makes the injector superfluous.

If you want to try the extra plates for a great price...scroll down to the bottom of the GetSupply website and click on the link for "Warehouse Deals". I was able to buy a set of plates (1 and 3) for $14. I have found that the 3-Dot plate is the best bet if you want to avoid adding pressure.

I generally prefer milder razors, so when I got a few too many cuts with the 2-dot plate, I switched to the 1-dot (mild) plate. Then it was a real feast for vampires. I tried this several times with new blades and got the same results, probably because it took more pressure to get a reasonably close shave. So last weekend I tried the 3-dot plate for the first time. I gotta say, the shave was great, no blood, with only gentle pressure required. I'm sure Supply likes the profit from the package with two optional plates, but I would never have know how good the 3-dot plate was if I'd just bought the 1-dot plate.

The main issue I have with the injector concept is that you have to be quite careful that the blades are pushed to the right in the cartridge, otherwise the sharp edge drags across the near-side blade stop during insertion (which happened to me the first time). I prefer to hand load the blade (after first palm stropping to tame it a bit), which makes the injector superfluous.

Sounds like you're another user who, even though preferring milder razors, hasn't had much joy with the Supply 1-dot plate. They might be better off designating what is now the 2-dot as their mildest plate, making the 3-dot the medium plate and introducing a truly aggressive plate for those who like that sort of thing.

I've heard about users having problems messing up their blades when inserting them into injectors, and I always check mine are properly seated and unblemished. However, I don't recall ever thinking I'd messed up a blade.

If you want to try the extra plates for a great price...scroll down to the bottom of the GetSupply website and click on the link for "Warehouse Deals". I was able to buy a set of plates (1 and 3) for $14. I have found that the 3-Dot plate is the best bet if you want to avoid adding pressure.

Unfortunately I'm based in the UK, so I suspect the postage costs would negate any savings, and I would still have a 1-dot plate useless to me, and most other SE users.

Top Bottom