What's new

superlather recipes

I've been experimenting around and discovered two recipes for superlather that seem to work consistently well.

The "classic": Williams mug soap (lots) and a dab of Proraso green. A great clean smelling, slick lather. Works very well.

The "teflon" (because it's sooo slick): Col Conk (any will do), Proraso green, AND 3-4 drops of shaving oil into the lathering bowl. I also added a spritzer of Florida water, I think the alcohol kills some of the foam so you are left with a super slick speed lather. Mix all this up and go to town.

Tabac and... It does not need anything else :001_wub: it is great in itself... i guess that you could add something to change its smell, but I would not.
Williams can be used with any cream w/o changing the scent too much, if anything it will only 'dilute' it. I generally use T&H soap when I am running out of lather or, if I added a too much water.

7UP/ SCS Coconut shave cream + Cool Lime shave soap;

Oakmoss Lavendula/ SCS Oakmoss Lavendula SC + SCS Oakmoss Lavendula SS

These are the 2 that I absolutely love!

Marty

I only just recently started trying superlather and haven't done much yet but so far I've tried:

Mama Bear's cool awakenings with Ingram.

Col. Conk Almond with GFT Almond cream

Mama bear spicy lime with Gft coconut

So far I think the first combo is my favorite...nice icy blast. Really nice feeling with the hot towel. I think it will be a great one for the warmer months.

I used the classic Williams method this morning, soaked my soap/brush in hot water in the mug. Then I started working the soap a little, then stopped, then added a tiny amount of Proraso right onto the soap, then
continued to lather right in the mug. I got some damn fine lather this way. Esp. when I squeezed out the brush for the 3rd/touch-up passes. Nice and slick. Give it a try.

Edit, I will go even further here and say, as long as I have Proraso in the house, I won't be using Williams "solo" ..

-Mason

+1 to Williams plus Proraso; Proraso not too bad with VDH, either
but the scent is better with "Will-Aso"
errr, maybe that should be "Pro-Illiams"?

nevermind

This morning's recipe was Trader Joe's Honey Mango and Pirate's cove Bay Rum and Lime. Slick city!

Tomorrow is Proraso day in my rotation. After reading these posts I'm going to grab a puck of Williams at lunch today and give it a whirl tomorrow morning.

This morning's recipe was Trader Joe's Honey Mango and Pirate's cove Bay Rum and Lime. Slick city!

Wow, I'd have never thought of combining TJ's Mango with bay rum. I have a puck of Burt's Bees Bay Rum soap, which isn't all that great by itself, but is good with KMF. I'll have to try it with the TJ's and see what happens.

Either it will be great or explode into noxious fumes... :lol:

Overall, I've found that Williams is just better for superlather than VDH.. though of the 3 kinds of VDH, the Select seems to work best for superlathers.

-Mason

I used the classic Williams method this morning, soaked my soap/brush in hot water in the mug. Then I started working the soap a little, then stopped, then added a tiny amount of Proraso right onto the soap, then
continued to lather right in the mug. I got some damn fine lather this way. Esp. when I squeezed out the brush for the 3rd/touch-up passes. Nice and slick. Give it a try.

Edit, I will go even further here and say, as long as I have Proraso in the house, I won't be using Williams "solo" ..

-Mason
Exactly. Now that I know how well the two mix together, I don't see myself using plain old Williams anymore when I have the Proraso handy.

I will continue to use the Proraso green solo though, I just love that stuff.

Tried the Williams with Proraso this morning. I soaked the Williams in hot water for a bit then loaded my brush on the puck. Added the Proraso to my bowl and got lots and lots of lather - too much almost, my bowl was overflowing after I added some more water. Great shave! I topped it off with some menthol aftershave and Proraso post - I'm still shivering as I type this out! Thanks for the recipe!!

I've rubbed an Arko Stick over my wet beard and put a dab of the Green Proraso from the tube on the brush and worked up a lather on my face. Works really nicely!
I really like Arko Stick but it can be a bit drying for me if it stays on my face too long. The Proraso solves that and adds a nice tingle.

Top Bottom