What's new

Suitcases??

Anyone have any suggestions for a suitcase that will last the test of time? Looking for another one in the 27 to 30" size that will last for more than 6 months of airline travel.

I travel weekly for a living and i go threw suitcases like popcorn thanks to the airlines....i need another and just about give up.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I use old Samsonite ones from the 1950's that were my Mom's, believe it or not. Still see them at garage sales, etc. Another plus: nobody confuses them for their own, and they are so ugly no one steals them!

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
Zero Halliburton Zeroller. Look no further. Mine have been through hell and back. Literally over 2 million miles. Baggage handlers seem to take them as a challenge. I just tap them back into shape with a small hard rubber hammer.

Hummm...ive looked at Halliburton and Rimowa but even there waranty doesnt cover airlines.

Any carbon fiber out there?

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
I'm constantly wrestling with this as well. If its not a roller bag you seek. Give red ox manufacturing a try. Made is USA and completely indestructible. I've purchased several items and am trying to adopt the one bag method as much as possible. Link to that on their site.

I'm constantly wrestling with this as well. If its not a roller bag you seek. Give red ox manufacturing a try. Made is USA and completely indestructible. I've purchased several items and am trying to adopt the one bag method as much as possible. Link to that on their site.
Thanks ill have a look.....

I would prefer something hard and roller as lots of time i have a projector or tools etc....in there.

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
I've watched my Halliburtons fall off the top of the boxcar that they carry the luggage to/from the plane. They dropped it into Kowloon Harbor unloading off the ferry (it floated). You name it, they've done it. It's aluminum and I just tap it back out into shape when I get home or to the hotel room. Full length piano hinges. Rubber O-ring seals.

Funny how i will knickle and dime a suitcase but i have no problem dropping 500 on a straight....lol.

I've watched my Halliburtons fall off the top of the boxcar that they carry the luggage to/from the plane. They dropped it into Kowloon Harbor unloading off the ferry (it floated). You name it, they've done it. It's aluminum and I just tap it back out into shape when I get home or to the hotel room. Full length piano hinges. Rubber O-ring seals.

Wow. But those are a thousand dollars or more, yes?

Yup but folks like myself, Kelbro and others who travel for a living end up spending way more then that when you replace a suitcase every 3 to 6 months....if your lucky to get that long.

My last one was a Delsy Elite hardcase...yup polycarbonate, aluminum frame etc....they killed that one first trip out...450 clams in the trash after they clearly drove over the corner of it...warranty you say...nahhhhh....most companies expressly say "nada" to airline abuse.

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock

They are expensive but I need my stuff to get there and back intact. Mine were not that expensive when I bought them but would be about that now with inflation. American, US Airways, and Southwest had destroyed many bags before I made the investment.

On the plus side, you could make a business out of this. Southwest just destroyed one of my wife's Samsonites. We paid $25 for it off craigslist and they gave us $115 for the damage :) The odds are in your favor that they destroy your bag if it's over 50 pounds.

They are expensive but I need my stuff to get there and back intact. Mine were not that expensive when I bought them but would be about that now with inflation. American, US Airways, and Southwest had destroyed many bags before I made the investment.

On the plus side, you could make a business out of this. Southwest just destroyed one of my wife's Samsonites. We paid $25 for it off craigslist and they gave us $115 for the damage :) The odds are in your favor that they destroy your bag if it's over 50 pounds.
Yup played the game as well....also have bought many "used once" suitcases...sometimes just to get home.

Selection is limited when you have very expensive equipement to bring and it cant be carried on because its tools.

Now if my boss would just let me expense it my pocket book would be a little heavier or have more dough for straights....lol.

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
One time schlepping all my clothes through Heathrow in Duty-Free Store plastic bags was all it took LOL!

I carry skyway luggage. Lots of crew carry skyway so I figure it's a good way to not get my luggage lost lol

Top Bottom