What's new

Suggestions for Quitting Smoking

I know this is a forum about smoking, but I need to quit. It's been a good 10 years and my physical fitness isn't getting any better (even with running 2 miles a day). Any suggestions on quitting? I'm looking into snus but i dont feel the need to order like $50 bucks of it as i don't have a crazy amount of space to keep them in especially cold. I've tried a pipe, but I find myself smoking a cigg like 10 mins after a pipe. I'm about a pack a day of a Newports (which are like $7 a pack here) so the monetary increase in my pocket would help alot. I've scoured the net and found a few things but they dont seem like they work or only work for like 10% of people. Thanks in advance for suggestions or advice.

You should definitely try some snus. It has helped a lot of people quit smoking.
You might argue that you're just trading one addiction for another, but at least snus has very few negative health effects (if any) compared to smoking.

Don't replace nicotine with nicotine. There is no point to it. It's not just smoking that is bad for your health, nicotine is bad for your health in that it hardens your arteries. Nicotine gum, patches, snus, snuff, anything. You are addicted to nicotine and have to get rid of the addiction, not feed it in another way.

I quit with Chantix. It's worth every penny and many insurance companies will pay for it at 100%. The negative stereo types about side effects I found to be completely unwarranted. It doesn't do the work for you, but it makes it much more bearable. You still have to put forth the effort of fighting cravings. It will help those cravings come less and make them a bit more bearable. Follow the plan, and don't be discouraged when you slip up, and you should do fine with it. And good luck. Quitting smoking is one of the best things I've ever done for myself. You won't believe how horrible that stuff smells once you quit and can actually smell things again. And breathing clearly is awesome !!

I've heard reports of snus helping to ween folks off cigs, but have no personal experience for using it in that capacity. I've enjoyed the product when I'm in a smoke free environment, try it if you like. If you really want to quit cigarettes, I wouldn't blame you if you did and you're having difficulty on your own, I'd recommend a visit with your doctor to develop a plan that works for you.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
While nicotine is not a benign substance (in fact a single drop can kill a human) nicotine in and of itself is not the horrendous monster some would have you believe.
There is evidence that nicotine promotes blood vessel growth (good for folks who have diabetes, bad for folks who might have tumors), there is evidence that Nicotine improves memory and brain function, and tests are ongoing with very promising results in the treatment of Alzheimer's.
Virtually anything we choose to introduce to the body can be harmful, coffee and Vitiman A included, but can be helpful in controlled amounts.

Cigarettes are devastating to health and to your personal finances, so reducing risk by using an alternative delivery process for the nicotine you are addicted to shouldn't be viewed as anything but a step in the right direction.
Snus has proven to be a much lower risk factor delivery method for nicotine due to the way that the tobacco is processed.

I encourage you to consult your physician and work out a plan, though if you are interested in the Snus route, rest assured that unless your physician has actually read the studies and done the homework on it, he/she is likely to lump it right in with cigarettes because those opposed to tobacco have done a superb job of spreading dis-information on it.

I would take this opportuinity to remind B&B Members who are not regulars in the Brown Leaf that this forum is NOT a place to post your opinions about the harmful effects of tobacco.
Everyone in here is a consenting adult and knows that.

If you'd like to start your own little campaign to rid the world of this EVIL, start a thread in the Barbershop.

Last edited:
While nicotine is not a benign substance (in fact a single drop can kill a human) nicotine in and of itself is not the horrendous monster some would have you believe.
There is evidence that nicotine promotes blood vessel growth (good for folks who have diabetes, bad for folks who might have tumors), there is evidence that Nicotine improves memory and brain function, and tests are ongoing with very promising results in the treatment of Alzheimer's.
Virtually anything we choose to introduce to the body can be harmful, coffee and Vitiman A included, but can be helpful in controlled amounts.

Cigarettes are devastating to health and to your personal finances, so reducing risk by using an alternative delivery process for the nicotine you are addicted to shouldn't be viewed as anything but a step in the right direction.
Snus has proven to be a much lower risk factor delivery method for nicotine due to the way that the tobacco is processed.

I encourage you to consult your physician and work out a plan, though if you are interested in the Snus route, rest assured that unless your physician has actually read the studies and done the homework on it, he/she is likely to lump it right in with cigarettes because those opposed to tobacco have done a superb job of spreading dis-information on it.

I would take this opportuinity to remind B&B Members who are not regulars in the Brown Leaf that this forum is NOT a place to post your opinions about the harmful effects of tobacco.
Everyone in here is a consenting adult and knows that.

If you'd like to start your own little campaign to rid the world of this EVIL, start a thread in the Barbershop.

Couldn't agree more.

I quit cold Turkey last summer. I bought some Altoids mints and just sucked it up. I found the cinnamon Altoids worked the best for me. Good luck and be strong. I personally would not trade one habit for another.

There's no one size fits all method. Each person might have more or less trouble giving up habits, addiction to nicotine and smoke (which are separate things), triggers, etc. You might need to identify the relative importance of each of these (and maybe other things) to you personally and face each issue to find an approach that works.

I started a thread on e-cigarettes. It's helped many people quit what they term analog cigarettes, but quitting so-called digital ones is, as they say, an exercise left for the reader. I don't advocate it in any way, just present it as a smoking alternative. (I still smoke analogs.) My focus is to make people aware of the situation there--many people don't take to e-cigarettes because of poor products, and even the best of products in that market aren't quite... ahem... up to snuff.

Last edited:

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
You have to just decide to do it, choose your oral fixation substitution-nicotine gum, candy, straws, snus etc. and do it. Nicotine gum and candy definitely take the edge off a craving and helped a lot...but the mental addiction is harder to curb.
You will likely fail several times, but each time you will learn what triggers the failure and eventually you WILL quit. I must have tried to quit dozens of times. I would do well for weeks at a time, but inevitably I would bum a drag, which would lead to bumming cigs off a buddy, but you feel bad smoking OPC's so you buy a pack just for those occassions, and then you are back smoking.

I tried rolling my own in the expectation that rolling is harder so I would smoke less...until I discovered Bali Shag...a delicious tobacco that I ended up being able to roll one handed while driving...:lol:

So just quit and do your best, and don't give up. Cigs don't really add anything to your life that a good pipe or cigar can't.

Find a smoking cessation course in your area. Quit rates are 10 times higher if you participate in a group. You can try calling your local hospital, health department, or primary care physician. The ones in Kentucky do use nicotine replacement, but there are other methods. Think of all the cool shaving stuff you can by with all that extra money you are going to have. (49 dollars a week can feed a monster rad)

Jeff

Yah I've consulted my doctor about this about a year ago, and was given chantix. Long story short, it worked but i turned into a HUGE *******. I don't have anything against snus and I'm thinking of giving a few Minis a try (keep the nicotine low so i can slowly go to tobacco free) or patches. Its been a rough battle as I've been trying for at least a year now to no avail. I've tried nicorette, the lozengers, chantix, and different combinations of pharmisuticals from my dr. All of which ended up the same way, smoking more. Thanks for the suggestions and help, as well as the praise that i can infact quit!

If you set your mind to it, you can do it. Write down your goal, visualize yourself in the future not smoking, and take the time weekly to reaffirm your intentions to quit for good.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
If you are smoking, maybe switch to an all natural brand. Supposedly the additives in brand name cigs make them more addictive. Either way you just need to slog though it and come out the other side :).

I tried electronic cigarettes, and while they didn't work for me they do work for some folks. What finally got me off cigarette's was snus and snuff. I know I traded one addiction for another and I am fine with that. I can breath now, and I am happy. Whatever you choose to try, good luck. I couldn't have done it without the support I got and still get from some good people. A good support system is very important, IMHO.

Snus. What worked for me was this.

I can have as much nicotine as I want as long as its not from smoking.

Eventually I weened off snus.

Find a smoking cessation course in your area. Quit rates are 10 times higher if you participate in a group. You can try calling your local hospital, health department, or primary care physician. The ones in Kentucky do use nicotine replacement, but there are other methods. Think of all the cool shaving stuff you can by with all that extra money you are going to have. (49 dollars a week can feed a monster rad)

Jeff

I agree, you should check into this.

What I did was I gradually cut down on my smoking over a 2 week period (a full pack for a couple days, 15 cigarettes for a few days, 10, 5 etc). Eventually it became a game for me to see how long I could go without a cigarette. Whenever I couldn't stand it anymore I would try to go another 5 minutes. It was pretty brutal, but I'm glad I did it.

Week 8 of no cigs for me today, I went with a program through work and a local hospital, they paid for 10 weeks of patches. Patches, chantix or magic beans are only part of it the mental part is the hardest, I smoked for 30 some years and had quit once before for 4 years so I am not over the hump but we will see how it goes this time. Good Luck to you and if I can help please feel free to pm me.

Top Bottom