What's new

Stylish Gym Bag?

TheShaun

Bejeweled
I posted this in the Clubhouse but it did not garner much attention. So I thought I might run it by the stylish folks of the Haberdashery. Sorry for the double post.

I'm looking for a stylish gym bag. What does that mean? I have no idea.

Currently I have a sporty Adidas one. Like this http://www.amazon.com/adidas-Team-S...1437698942&sr=8-5&keywords=adidas+duffle+bags

I don't know exactly what I'm looking for but I don't want it to be sporty. Canvas? Leather? Nylon?

I go to the gym before work. I wear a suit most days. I walk to the gym and to the office after. I would like a bag that goes with my work attire. Since I walk, I don't want it to be too heavy.I would like a separate shoe compartment but not a deal breaker. I would like 1-2 small pockets for accessories. A back pack is not an option. Prefer a duffel style bag that I can hang on my shoulder or hold in my hand. Budget, less than $100 and hopefully well less.

What I carry in the bag:

- t shirt, shorts, socks
- running shoes
- shower sandles
- coat hanger to hang my suit while i work out
- protein shake
- toiletry kit
- lifting gloves
- note book
- locks, ipod, earbuds, etc.

Now, as we do here, please throw out some great suggestions.

I like this bag but it does not have a shoulder strap: http://www.outdoorresearch.com/en/accessories/backpacks-bags-and-duffels/rangefinder-duffel.html
proxy.php

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Red Oxx Aviator

http://www.redoxx.com/Aviator-Duffel-Bags/150/150/dept

Probably a "small" ... or "extra small" if you have very little.

A gym bag duffel is not going to be "stylish" the way a briefcase can be ... looking like it "belongs" with a suit and tie. You will look like "a guy in a suit who also goes to the gym" no matter what, so just go with it, and get something understated and with quality construction. Stick your shoes in a smaller plastic bag if you want to keep them separate from your other stuff.

I love Red Oxx, and have lived out of an Air Boss for a couple months at a time.

Not it sure the Aviator bag is the best choice and don't think it has, or easily hosts a shoulder strap. The design is a good one, based off the military's "Aviator Kit Bag" which is a big honking bag most often used to stow deployed parachutes in after you hit the ground. Or as a travel bag.

I have a Helly Hansen dry duffle that would work, but it's a bit garish for some applications. It has shoulder, grip, and storable backpack straps. And I payed a lot less than $100 for it.

http://shop.hellyhansen.com/us/item/hh-duffel-bag-50l-67002/

Gym locker rooms are filthy, stinky places. Definitely don't spend a lot of $$ on one, as you won't feel bad if it gets filthy and needs to be replaced. Like someone else said, they aren't designed to be "stylish", they are designed to be practical. Just avoid flashy colors and you'll be fine. Good for you for taking the time during lunch to work out.

IMO 'stylish' and 'gym bag' are a contradiction in terms. Pick one, not both. I have an old Ogio locker bag that has hard sides, compartments to hold everything you list (and more) neatly, and it fits in a locker. It is perfectly functional after more than 20 years. Good luck!

I have the Goruck 38L gym bag. All black, so it looks about as stylish as a duffle can be. Being all nylon I can easily wash it if it gets dirty. No plastic/vinyl coating to get ripped up. No garish logos. Probably overkill for a gym bag but at least I can carry kettlebells in it without worry :)

Waxed canvas duffle bags like what Gustin puts up on occasion is probably the most stylish I can imagine, but I'm not sure something like that is really meant to carry actual gym clothes :p

I have the Goruck 38L gym bag. All black, so it looks about as stylish as a duffle can be. Being all nylon I can easily wash it if it gets dirty. No plastic/vinyl coating to get ripped up. No garish logos. Probably overkill for a gym bag but at least I can carry kettlebells in it without worry :)

Waxed canvas duffle bags like what Gustin puts up on occasion is probably the most stylish I can imagine, but I'm not sure something like that is really meant to carry actual gym clothes :p

Off topic...

Have you bought stuff from Gustin in the past? Looks like an interesting business model, but I'm wondering if people are satisfied with it.

Off topic...

Have you bought stuff from Gustin in the past? Looks like an interesting business model, but I'm wondering if people are satisfied with it.

I've bought two pairs of jeans and an oxford shirt. I think once you dial in your size the model works great. The shirt is pretty snug, the wife likes it but I'm worried that it will shrink if I wash it, so I'll probably go a size larger if I order another (medium to large). The jeans fit well (32 waist straight) but are LOOOONG so I have to roll the hem. Which is a look, I guess. They were snug initially, then I dropped from 175+ to 165+ and they fit much better. The button fly takes some getting used to on such a snug pair of pants.

Overall I'm pretty happy with them, especially considering the build quality, build location (domestic), and fabrics they offer. Now their shoes, maybe not so much. Plenty of domestic shoe makers with waaaaaaaay more experience. Seems like most folks are pretty happy provided they get the correct size. Seems like there is some size variability, especially in shirts, so there is a whole secondary market for exchanging/reselling stuff. Definitely helps to be of slim build, they have very little for the average american physique. But if I can find a domestic sock maker I can actually go out on the town in 100% american made clothes, which is pretty cool.

How much are you willing to spend? There are some great weekender duffels in leather that I would consider stylish, but they're a couple hundred bucks.

I'm a big fan of a "locker bag." It has multiple compartment, keeps your shoes separate from your clothes, and doesn't need to be "stuffed" in a locker. I currently us one made by Ogio. It's about 10 years old and is holding great.

proxy.php

I'm a big fan of a "locker bag." It has multiple compartment, keeps your shoes separate from your clothes, and doesn't need to be "stuffed" in a locker. I currently us one made by Ogio. It's about 10 years old and is holding great.

proxy.php

+1. I have almost the same bag, also Ugio. EXCEPT it is 15 years old and not as elegant. IMO function trumps "stylish" when it comes to gym bags. :thumbup:

Top Bottom