What's new

"Old people smell" solved

Older people start producing more of a hormone called "nonenol" (hope I got that right) at a much higher rate than younger folks, and their clothes will accumulate that smell. I discovered it when I inherited a couple of Dad's suits and couldn't figure out where that slightly off smell was coming from-it was from his clothes. Dad religiously showered daily, so it wasn't that.

Now that I'm 70, I have the same thing. It's easy to get rid of it. The Japanese make a soap with persimmon and green tea; the brand I have is Pelican, and it can be found on Amazon. Their company web site is ペリカン石鹸|石鹸製造に携わり半世紀。私たちだからできる製品をお届けします。 - http://www.pelicansoap.co.jp.

A better solution, I think, is Duke Cannon's "Big Ol' Brick of Hunting Soap, Scent Eliminator. If you use that and an unscented antiperspirant/deodorant like Arm and Hammer's version, you can go a week between showers without having any body odor unless you sweat a lot. I shower every 1-2 days if I can, but I've been laid up with back problems where showing is an ordeal as that causes balance problems, so I'm grateful for the ability to skip the days I hurt a lot. As haw been said here before, if you can't shower then at least put clean clothes on, that's where the stinky bacteria grow fastest, especially of their sweaty. it's a good trick not only for hunters, but also those who run or work out at a gym or have hard physical jobs that don't necessarily get them dirty.

I'm not promoting slovenly behavior, but this might be of help to some members here.

Here's a Wiki page on the topic: Old person smell - Wikipedia - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_person_smell

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
The freedom to soil yourself whenever you like is one of the great privileges of being retired. I’ve often thought about doing it as a way to express disapproval of a person or what they are saying. I think it makes a statement and is not easy to ignore.
This will ALSO make it difficult for your loved ones (?) to place you in an old folks home.

I speak from experience my friend.

Us old folks need every tool in our toolbox ya know!

The term "Old People Smell" always takes me to a core memory. My mom used to sort though donated clothes for the Salvation Army. My siblings and I often had to accompany her because we were young (I was probably 4). It was a warehouse with a mountain of old clothes. Another scent that takes me back there is forklift exhaust. Funny how smells take us back to certain places and times. Anytime I am in a Goodwill or any thrift store I am instantly taken back there....

6DB9D3C6-CD93-4603-AC06-AC62DA016202.jpeg

Top Bottom