What's new

Stubble remains after shaving and multiple passes

I have been reading that trying to achieve the BBS shave is highly complicated if one has problems with "ingrown hairs" and should not risk the chance of irritation trying to cut them. Is this possibly true? I've been having under my chin neck problems and have decided to to live with a small amount of stubble to avoid the irritation.

I get what I call "ghost stubble". I make many passes over the same area (typically a V shaped area on either side of my adam's apple), ATG blade buffing. It still feels like stubble to my fingers.
Then I give up and go through my usual rinse, application of alum, rinse, and aftershave splash.
By 20 or 30 minute after it's dried, it feels like a BBS shave after all.

Now it's just a case of guessing when the real stubble is gone, and stopping.

You sound like me and my circumstances. I guess I get some degree of aggravation knowing that I put forth the effort for an enjoyable and productive shave yet still have the "ghost stubble" as you call it and I'm the only one that knows it's there. As I said, I've decided to live with it and let my wife enjoy my smooth cheeks and jawbones. She puts up with my 'stache and goatee and thoroughly enjoys all the wonderful scents of these soaps and aftershaves. BTW, I admire your hat....someday I'm gonna get myself one again.

Welcome to B&B, Sir Tiger!!

Give yourself some time!
In a couple months and with practice, you'll be doing BBS routinely!
I guarantee!

Enjoy the journey!!

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
I get what I call "ghost stubble". I make many passes over the same area (typically a V shaped area on either side of my adam's apple), ATG blade buffing. It still feels like stubble to my fingers.
Then I give up and go through my usual rinse, application of alum, rinse, and aftershave splash.

Well described. I've had the very same thing happen--often. Can be more than a little bewildering.

@John Rose I think you may have just coined a new term with “ghost stubble!” I wondered if i was the only one who experienced this but your post made me wonder no longer. I’ve overshaved myself many times in an effort to remove the ghost stubble, only to find that it’s gone after i splash on some aftershave and give it a few minutes. Glad to know i’m not the only one! And as to the OP’s post, as others have said it’s definitely because you’re not going across or against the grain. Try it out and let us know the results!

I have that exact same experience as well. In that same V.

Could it be that after the post shave with alum, balm, splash that the skin plumps up a micro bit making the stubble recede?

I believe it's time for a more efficient razor.

You may well reject this idea, but it's the first thing I'd be looking at. If a R41 doesn't give you a smooth shave - even when shaving entirely WTG - then I don't know what will. And stick to sharp+smooth blades like GSB.

You may well reject this idea, but it's the first thing I'd be looking at. If a R41 doesn't give you a smooth shave - even when shaving entirely WTG - then I don't know what will. And stick to sharp+smooth blades like GSB.

R41 heads are sold separately and will fit the standard thread on his Parker handle.

Top Bottom