What's new

Stubble Regrowth Smartness

As my wetshaving journey continues, I am more and more struck by the way in which different razors give different stubble regrowth.
With my ER 1912s and ER 1924, I attract spontaneous comments about how smart I look.

With straights, the Rolls and Empire the regrowth is slightly faster but softer and incredibly comfortable and remains looking smarter for a very long period of time.

With DEs and with my Valets, the initial shave is very close and smooth but the regrowth is prickly and untidy.

And with my injectors the regrowth is very slow indeed but again becomes untidy.

I can get Victorian stubble, 1920's stubble or 1950's stubble depending on which razor I've used.

Anybody else notice different types of regrowth with different razors?

I haven't experienced this, Marcus, but my experience is much more limited than yours. I am 95% DE with a little SE and straight here and there.

I look forward to reading others' input.

I always though it was because I'm in my late 20's and my hair was getting rougher but I do notice a very old fashioned, untidy look from shaving with a DE. I also thought it might be because I was shaving against the grain and that was affecting the hair follicles in an uneven/unusual way causing the prickly/untidy look. Really its probably a combination of all three of those variables.

I don't notice the difference. My regrowth after shaving is more impacted with how I shaved rather than the implement.

I don't shave ATG with a DE but I will often do so with a Straight. That, alone, feels as though I get a little extra mileage - though, for me, it's often not worth the effort to do a full ATG pass as it grows back quickly and dark.

Don't be telling me that! I'm 100% DE and there's me thinking my shaves were perfect, with lovely neat stubble. Now I'm going to have to go SE?

You're all a bunch of enablers!!

I guess it's to do with the steel, the blade type, the bevel angle and width, and the cutting angle.

My face loves carbon steel blades, but doesn't like stainless so much and my skin feels radically different depending on which I've used.
Also the wedge blade safeties and the different grinds of straights are more comfortable than the flats.

i go atg with whatever im using. i want completely smooth skin through out my entire face. i have never noticed my regrowth ever look any different while using different shavers. i can get the best bbs shave with my progress's. its gonna take quite a razor to be able to top the shaves ive gotten with it. my vintage one is probably the smoothest razor ive ever used so far. regardless of what i shave with, or which blade, every morning i look the same. only differences i notice is if i sleep good at night, versus being up all night, then my stubble will be more or less.

A couple of things I've noticed since I started shaving with a DE razor:
- when the stubble first starts coming in, it does feel more "prickly" than when I was cartridge shaving. By the next morning, it's feels pretty normal for that point.
- I notice a big difference in how long the clean shaven feel lasts on a weekend four pass shave compared to my work day three pass shave.

Top Bottom