What's new

Tell me about this GEM 1912 razor I just purchased for $4.99

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
In my experience the $5 to $10 1912s are out there in the vintage stores, waiting for buyers.
I paid $15 once, in 2017? I think it was? Of course, with inflation the way it is, I could buy it now for $150.

It does look great, and had a case too though.

I paid $15 once, in 2017? I think it was? Of course, with inflation the way it is, I could buy it now for $150.

It does look great, and had a case too though.
Farmer Tan

The one you purchased in 2017, was it a “squat head”? Do you still have it? Do you use it? How often? How does it shave? Would you recommend it?

Can you show a picture of it with the case?

I am learning about “blade gap”. I have been reading old threads from this forum.

My daily driver is my new 1912 GEM “squat head”. My back up/travel razor is my 1924 ER Shovel head.

I only use two blades:

PAL Carbon Blue
GEM PTFE

Three main questions:

What is a blade gap and its importance when choosing a single edge razor? I only shave with SE’s.

What are the blade gaps of my two razors? The lager, the better?

How does blade gap affect a shave?
Does is smooth a shave out?
Does is make a shave more aggressive?

I have learned a lot from the knowledge shared here.

In addition.

Blade exposure.

What is its importance and how does it affect a shave?

Forgot to ask the question in the previous thread.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I am learning about “blade gap”. I have been reading old threads from this forum.

My daily driver is my new 1912 GEM “squat head”. My back up/travel razor is my 1924 ER Shovel head.

I only use two blades:

PAL Carbon Blue
GEM PTFE

Three main questions:

What is a blade gap and its importance when choosing a single edge razor? I only shave with SE’s.

What are the blade gaps of my two razors? The lager, the better?

How does blade gap affect a shave?
Does is smooth a shave out?
Does is make a shave more aggressive?

I have learned a lot from the knowledge shared here.
Blade gap determines how smooth the razor will shave and how it gets rid of snipped whisker stubble . When labor was inexpensive when Gem made their razors they did many tests to determine the sweet spot for ideal blade gap and did not really wonder to far from that determined setting. There are simple ways to even smooth the blade feel slightly more for a mellower shave on certain models.

Attachments

• IMG_3390.jpeg
    IMG_3390.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 9
Base Plate: Rounded edges

Does anyone else appreciate this design feature, besides myself.

This is another reason I so enjoy using this fine shaving tool, my 1912 GEM.

My Shovel head, my second favorite SE, has a base plate with squared edges. When shaving around my ears, for me it is challenging cutting every piece of ear hair. I am concerned about nicks and razor burn.

With the 1912, when shaving around my ears, I feel very safe because of the rounded edge designed base plate. No concern about nicks or razor burn because less strokes and safer angles are used.

Does anyone else struggle with shaving around the ear? How do you manage this issue?

Top Bottom