What's new

stropping the night before?

Let's say I successfully complete a straight shave this weekend and decide it's something I want to do regularly. Could I strop my razor in the evening for the next morning's shave, to save time in the morning?

Thanks.

I usually strop after lathering to give it a minute or two to soften the whiskers. I also do about 20 laps after I dry my blade to make certain there is no moisture on the edge.

The title of this thread reminded me of a bit from "The Young Ones", if anyone remembers that show:

Vyvyan: I must be hallucinating. What's a good thing for a hangover?
Mike: Drinking heavily the night before...

Save time? How much time are you saving a minute or so?

If that's the case you must be a very busy person.

Just putting this into perspective because it's better to strop just before shaving.

I'm just curious guys, why is it better to strop right before, and not the night before?

Theoretically, your still getting the same edge two minutes ago compared to 8 hours ago if you strop consistantly. The blade shouldn't be doing much over 8 hours. The blade isn't in use shaving other people at night, isn't exposed to moisture or throwing itself down a flight of stairs? So how is the blade degrading?

I'm just curious guys, why is it better to strop right before, and not the night before?

Theoretically, your still getting the same edge two minutes ago compared to 8 hours ago if you strop consistantly. The blade shouldn't be doing much over 8 hours. The blade isn't in use shaving other people at night, isn't exposed to moisture or throwing itself down a flight of stairs? So how is the blade degrading?

+1 on this question. I wonder.

If your talking HCS you would be shocked to learn that the stuff has an incredible affinity for oxidation. After you finish shaving and dry the blade within minutes literally, rust is beginning to form. You can't see it because its on a molecular level but it is there and accumulates. Stropping before shaving removes it.

If your talking HCS you would be shocked to learn that the stuff has an incredible affinity for oxidation. After you finish shaving and dry the blade within minutes literally, rust is beginning to form. You can't see it because its on a molecular level but it is there and accumulates. Stropping before shaving removes it.

Well there you go!

If you look at a razor edge with your eyes before stropping the blade and after stropping the blade, you will notice the edge is shinier.

The reason is that the rust has been removed. The shinier the edge, the smoother it will feel on your skin.

In barber shops, in England the barber would always strop before each shave.
i.e. Immediately before each shave.

The difference between stropping the night before and shopping immediately before the shave is quite simply rust build up.

If you live in a dry non humid area, you may not notice the difference. In England, you can see the difference.

You must decide for yourself depending upon your local environment but the later you leave it ......always and where ever.... the more highly polished the edge will be. It's basic science, steel rusts in the atmosphere.

You may consider honing in the evening and oiling the edge. Then in the morning you will just need to wash the oil off. Camellia oils is great for this, because it washes off easily under a faucet of hot water.

Hope this helps the understanding.

I tend to strop 30 or so laps right after my shave. I also give about five laps just before the shave. My reasoning is that I am removing any moisture from the blade edge after the shave and smoothing the edge. The few laps just before is to remove any microscopic oxidation. It works for me, YMMV.

Top Bottom