What's new

Stropping Razor Blades with a Power Drill and Rubber Cork (YRMV)

My simple, easy, effective and efficient way to strop single edge and double edge blades. Your results may vary, but I hope this helps. I wish you good luck and a great shave!
* I'm not responsible for any damages or injury

Last edited by a moderator:

Mike H

Instagram Famous
Do you do this to extend the life of the blade?
From a risk perspective, the reward IMO, is negligible.

If done properly, it is possible that the life can be extended. If done incorrectly, it will definitely shorten the life. The important thing is that it does clean the blade. I do know clean blades last longer.

No!! You can really hurt yourself!!
Just palm strop your blade. Cleans it off and places a little lub on it!
If you must, then place it on a magnate under a pyramid !

I appreciate the concern, but I have never had the slightest problem with getting cut. The razor blade stays very steady, barely moving at all. For me, palm stropping takes far too long to be effective. The grip on the blade is the same as one would use to palm strop anyway. Do whatever works for you.

Isaac

B&B Tease-in-Residence
Seems like a great deal of trouble considering how inexpensive DE blades are

Actually, it isn't much trouble at all, and very quick. Took me less than two minutes to make, and under one minute to strop the whole blade. My shaves with the same blades have been far superior using this method.

More power to you for creativity and ingenuity. I agree with the others that for me, the risk/reward ratio would prevent me from doing this.

Glad it works for you.

I would suggest that you wear some kind of gloves, even a thin cotton one might prevent some damage if you were to slip.

Actually, it isn't much trouble at all, and very quick. Took me less than two minutes to make, and under one minute to strop the whole blade. My shaves with the same blades have been far superior using this method.

I'd be very interested to see some before and after pictures taken using a USB digital camera. Otherwise, I would have to agree with the others that this tends to be just a good way to cut yourself eventually.

I commend you for thinking outside of the box, nothing wrong with that and nothing wrong with sharing your ideas.

Frank

You guys got me thinking of a safer way to do this. So here it is! Another common household item that greatly decreases rick of injury. The opposing side of the blade is guarded by the clip, and doesn't make contact. The clip also provides more stability.

$Photo on 7-14-14 at 5.52 PM.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom