What's new

Strop is not straight

I just bought a strop from Hide and Drink. I like the naked armor one I am using now, but it doesn't look like it will last many years (I hope i am wrong). This one on the other hand looks like bulletproof armor and feels like it will live up to it's claim of 101 year warranty. It is kinda wrinkled from the way it was packed, so I can't use it now. Is there any way to straighten it? Will it straighten by itself over time?

Strops when purchased should either be shipped flat or coiled but they have to be coiled a certain way to keep the flesh of the strop from being damaged, post up some pics so we can see what’s going on.

The maker of Kanayamas had some instructions for care that I think are here somewhere.

Another technique of his to fix warpage is to take a clean, damp cloth and wipe down the smooth surface, without oversaturating the strop. Just dampen the surface. Then lay it flat on a sturdy surface and roll a glass cylinder (mayo or pickle jar, something like that is what I’d use, to ensure a flat surface on the leather) on it, and leave it to dry.

Time to get in touch with the seller and ask for replacement. Maybe provide some education on how to ship strops. They ruined it.

Yeah I’ve never tried fixing that, so I can’t say it is impossible... but that’s because I’ve never bought one like that, because it is most likely ruined.

I just looked at their website, and all the pictures seem to be showing the suede side of the strop. That is likely the problem here. They mean for it to be a suede strop so they rolled it with the suede on the outside.

Thanks guys this has clarified the situation for me. I will contact them and explain that they shouldn't ship like that. If they intend it to be a suede strop, this isn't indicated.They speak of full grain and suede. In the reviews someone mentions that you get a suede side and a smooth side. So it seems to me that they made a mistake.

I don't even see a description. Just "barber strop". There is not any info about the materials, dimensions, or construction. Probably a smaller 2" strop?
Looks like they specialize in leather goods and the one strop is just something they offer.
They have some interesting looking wares though.

Yeah they have some nice stuff. On the Amazon page you can find some more info. I contacted them, we'll see.

Problem solved, got a refund. They said they would consider my remarks (about shipping the strop) to improve their customer experience.

Top Bottom