What's new

Strop Choice For Beginner

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
@nels I'm also in Australia. My @Tony Miller strop is was well worth the wait and shipping (which about doubled the price).

I have stropped on 2", 2½" and 3". My much preferred width is 2½". The reason being is that with 2½", long X strokes are not really required and there is less tendancy to cup. Of course, strop width is a personal choice.

@nels I'm also in Australia. My @Tony Miller strop is was well worth the wait and shipping (which about doubled the price).

I have stropped on 2", 2½" and 3". My much preferred width is 2½". The reason being is that with 2½", long X strokes are not really required and there is less tendancy to cup. Of course, strop width is a personal choice.
I 100% want to get one right now but for over $250+ and it might get destroyed from the forwarding company Tony has just said to wait till he is able to send it and I probably will destroy it also. Either getting the illionis #127 or Ezra Arthur just tossing up between the two.

What about a Herold strop? They're available internationally and fairly inexpensive. I started out on one that is 2" (50mm) wide and it suited me fine. Still in great shape eleven years later, apart from a nick at the top (classic newbie mistake in starting out).

I 100% want to get one right now but for over $250+ and it might get destroyed from the forwarding company Tony has just said to wait till he is able to send it and I probably will destroy it also. Either getting the illionis #127 or Ezra Arthur just tossing up between the two.
Let me know when postage from the US goes back to normal. I’m in Melbourne. Maybe I’ll split postage with you on a TM strop.

Tony Miller

Speaking of horse butts…
We do try to support our member vendors when practical. A Vendor tag is a significant investment and that helps the site owners. I suggest you see if Tony has any beginner grade strops, and get that, first. Or an Illinois strop. Keep the cost down on your first strop in case you slash it to ribbons while learning. Upgrade later, after maybe a year with no oopsies.

EDIT you might re-check on the forwarding thing. A lot of covid restrictions are being lifted.

Let me know when postage from the US goes back to normal. I’m in Melbourne. Maybe I’ll split postage with you on a TM strop.

Right now Australia and about 10 other countries are still not accepting Priority Mail (and several other classes) from our USPS so commercial forwarding is about the only option. I have no idea what mail forwarding costs but Priority postage to most countries runs about $50 to $60 US

Legion

Staff member
Honestly just want something well made and am willing to pay for what it cost. I live on the Gold Coast but will be in Melbourne at the end of this week.
If you wanted to have a go at making one yourself go to Leffler Leather in West Melbourne. They have a huge range, all the stuff you need. They will also ship to QLD if you need anything later, but it is much better to inspect the leather you buy first hand when you can.

Legion

Staff member
Check with Mars Leathers in Melbourne (Elizabeth St.) and see if they can oblige you. I’m sure they can cut you a decent length of leather and a couple bolsters. Add a couple Chicago screws and clip…you’re ready to go.
Mars Leathers in the city is pretty much a retail store selling motorcycle clothing. From memory they do have their own brand of products, but I’m not sure where it is made. Certainly not Elizabeth St.

Pity about that. I bought a couple Mars jackets back about 25 years ago. I do believe they were making their own stuff then. Very well crafted.

Legion

Staff member
Pity about that. I bought a couple Mars jackets back about 25 years ago. I do believe they were making their own stuff then. Very well crafted.
They may still, in fact I think they do (They used to have a really nice WW2 bomber crew style sheepskin jacket in their window which I always wanted, if Melbourne was about 20 degrees colder), but I think they have them made in a factory somewhere else. And garment leather is fairly different to strop leather.

Get a Tony Miller value strop because it is high quality, good value - especially for a first stop that you are likely to nick, Tony offers excellent customer experience, and Tony sells replacement parts.

Reminds me of the girl picking Charles Barkley in the Capital One ad.

Top Bottom