What's new

Straight Razor Shavers

I guess in the end, it’s not understandable to someone on the outside.

Not if you are not willing to try. You keep referring to being punched in the face; perhaps there is a clue there?

Seriously; there is no mystery here to be solved. What is so difficult to understand about how everyone likes to scratch their own itch? That's the sum of it. On a wetshaving forum, there is bound to be some who prefer one form factor over another. There is a thread here about someone who shaved with an axe.

Try being a little more open minded, and not so intent upon forcing everyone into a mental model that fits your current view of the world.

Not if you are not willing to try. You keep referring to being punched in the face; perhaps there is a clue there?

Seriously; there is no mystery here to be solved. What is so difficult to understand about how everyone likes to scratch their own itch? That's the sum of it. On a wetshaving forum, there is bound to be some who prefer one form factor over another. There is a thread here about someone who shaved with an axe.

Try being a little more open minded, and not so intent upon forcing everyone into a mental model that fits your current view of the world.
Thanks for that but you don’t provide an answer. “Scratch your own itch” doesn’t explain why you prefer straight shaving. Is there a reason?

Last edited:
Interesting. I used a fountain pen so I can relate to that.

What I’m getting from all this is that for some it’s less irritating, some like to preserve/revive a lost art, some claim a better shave and at least one would like to punch me in the face. I should always remember that they killed Socrates for asking too many questions.

I thought the “counter blast to the world” comment was illuminating; that fellow is closer to the Amish example than he may realize.

Thanks for joining in.
I use DE razors, SE Razors and Straight Razors. Sometimes i use a straight razor and a DE razor during a shave. I can't say I get a better shave using a straight razor.
It's not about what is best for me.

I use DE razors, SE Razors and Straight Razors. Sometimes i use a straight razor and a DE razor during a shave. I can't say I get a better shave using a straight razor.
It's not about what is best for me.

I often start with a straight and clean it up with a DE, but that feels a bit like "cheating". I expect I will never get anywhere near BBS with a straight razor, so I just want to improve to somewhere between socially acceptable and DFS without reaching for my DE.

I don't think a straight razor will ever be my primary tool, just something different to add to the mix.

There is allot of different ways to feel a sense off accomplishment. Shaving with a straight razor, knowing you created the edge on is one of them.

Starting or ending your day with a straight razor shave can make a bad day better, or a good day even better.
I don't get the same feeling using any other razors.
It also gives you a little extra me time.

Honing your own straight razor, and learning how to use it well requires dedication and some skills.
This can be quite rewarding too me at least.

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
“It is, oddly enough, a very forgiving shave.”

“It is an intensely satisfying shave, especially off your own edge.”

“Ultimately, I shave with a straight because, for me, it is far and away the most enjoyable way to shave. That's it.”

“The reward for perseverance is a truly enjoyable and comfortable shaving experience, unmatched in my opinion.”

“Remarkable shave…definitely!”

“A straight gives me the best shave out of my 6 safety razors, 50 DE blades and or a shavette, an electric shaver or a cartridge.”

“Most of the people said they prefer a straight razor because it does provide a better shave.”

“To answer the general question, though, I get very comfortable shaves with a straight, and as close as I care to get.”

It’s a physical thing for those that continue to use a straight razor. As already stated, the shaves are great.

I don’t use a SR, yet. I will in the future. Once I hone my shaving skills on the DE. I do see the pics of the SR in the SOTD post and I’m drawn to them. It seems universal among the SR comments here that the OP assumption that SR is inherently more dangerous is false. Once the shaver skills get to a certain level. Maybe it’s fear the OP has that is holding him back. No offense was intended at all with that remark. I’ve read before that SR gives superior shaves to DEs and save for @gpjoe all said they got better shaves with SR vs DE and Joe is new to this.

I get similar questions as to why I choose a motorcycle as my primary means of transportation. Sure it’s easier to take the car. Sure it’s more convenient to keep the bike parked when it’s raining. The skill needed to ride a bike takes time to acquire. There is a zen like quality to riding a motorcycle. You tune out all distractions and focus solely on the need at hand. To get yourself home in one peace. It’s hard to describe this zen like moment you enter into. It’s quite calming despite someone on the outside of it looking like you’re riding through chaos. I suspect you enter into a zen moment when using a straight razor more so than when we use a DE razor. You must be attentive to the moment at hand in SR shaving just as in riding a motorcycle or the consequences of a misstep are much greater than other means. To me, it’s called living. It’s called mastering your surroundings, not taking the easy route. Making yourself a better man. I don’t fear my motorcycle. I surely do respect the fact it is a more dangerous mode of transportation and I need to be in the zone to return home safely. I suspect SR shavers fully respect their chosen tool of shaving and are more attentive to every aspect of the shave, more so than using a DE, and as a result have superior shaves. I know my rides to work on my motorcycle even in the rain are more enjoyable than any drive on a car. Hands down.

I wonder how many SR shavers are motorcyclists? And I agree with OP on Ape Hangers. Makes no darn sense. It makes handling a bike worse. More dangerous. As well as not wearing a helmet. But that’s another forum’s discussion.

Last edited:
You understand the zen like moment I am speaking of. I suspect you understand SR shaving more than you think you do.
Maybe, maybe not. On that ride, alone with the noise and the moon and the tiny sliver of the world illuminated by the headlight, I was as alone as I could be. Can’t relate that to straight razor shaving other than that they both require great concentration.

Last edited:
Maybe, maybe not. On that ride, alone with the noise and the moon and the tiny sliver of the world illuminated by the headlight, I was as alone as I could be. Can’t relate that to straight razor shaving other than that they both require great concentration.
Do you still ride a motorcycle on a regular basis? Or was this a one time ride?

I tried straight razor shaving as an extension of the "hobby", after using shavettes for a short time to get familiar with the mechanics. Some observations (in MY experience):

Straight razor shaving feels safer than DE shaving, with less irritation. I've never cut myself with a SR, but have drawn blood with a DE and shavette...and it seems much easier to get irritation from a DE (or shavette) vs a SR. I can make many passes over the same area with a SR without the irritation I would get with a DE. One could argue that this is because my DE technique is lacking, but in my hands, a SR is more forgiving. Shavettes feel the the least forgiving of the three and require the most attention and care.

Having said that, I'm not getting the same quality of shave from a SR that I get from a DE or shavette, even the straight razors that I've sent out to be honed by the "masters". I've read that I need 100 shaves before the heavens part and angels sing...but that happened almost immediately with my shavettes. So far, in my limited experience, my shaves with a DE razor or shavette are far superior to my SR shaves. Best I can get from a SR is a socially-acceptable shave, which may have been fine in the 1800s but not up to my standard for a good shave.

Lastly, it is a LOT of work getting a SR shave-ready, and very difficult for a n00b. I'm still not sure that I'm willing to put in the effort, especially considering the sub-par shaves im getting, but have too much time and $$$ invested to throw in the towel.

I guess it's like asking "why would you bother with a fountain pen when you could just use a ballpoint pen?..it's much easier, right?"

Yes, it is, but after actually trying both, I also understand and appreciate both sides of the debate. For me it is more about the challenge of actually getting the same quality of shave from a straight razor as i get from a DE, which at this point feels near impossible.
Spot-on and a truly wonderful post.
Thank you gpjoe.

Rode motorcycle for 25 years. Gave it up after bad accident. Got married, had kids, time to give it up. I miss it, though.
25 years, you experienced the Zen-like moment I am speaking of very likely. Maybe the accident tainted your desire to push the envelope so to speak. I have been blessed not to be in an accident bad enough that I wouldn't ride again. I have been in a fairly big one, although I walked away. I see some of where you are coming from. I never see a time to give up riding until I am physically not able to handle the motorcycle, then I'll likely switch to some trike of some sort. It seems I did not experience a bad of a wreck as you have.

Top Bottom