What's new

Straight Razor Sanding Jig

Mike H

Instagram Famous
I thought there was a tutorial already here so I did not bother taking any before shots.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/108797-DIY-Magnetic-Straight-Razor-Sanding-Jig

$IMG_4335.jpg

The base is Poplar, the two rare earth magnets came from an old hard drive, and the backstop is ebony. I carved out holes for the magnets in the base plate, then set the magnets in two part epoxy and let it cure. Then I sanded flat the surface and glued down an aluminum hobby sheet. Set the back stop with small screws. Then using a file, I smoothed the edges of the aluminum. Works great, but the magnets are really strong.

Mike H

Instagram Famous
Yes, I think I am going to replace the backstop with a thinner piece of wood. Now it is difficult to get to the area near spine because the backstop sticks up so high.

I've been thinking of making one of these for quite a while but never get around to it! I'm sure it would've saved me lots of achy fingers! Maybe during the holidays...

Magnets can be bought at harbor freight (theirs are tiny, you might have to use several but you get 10 for a couple bucks) or ace hardware (called super magnets. 3 for $10) or on amazon. I got the ones from ace. They are very strong.

Here's my homemade sanding/buffing jig. I purposely made the raised portion nearly level with the spine of most razors. I have arthritic hands and every little bit helps. I bought some heavy magnets at Harbor Freight for a couple of bucks and used some scrap metal & wood that I had lying around. Works very well though. I use it all the time. You can see in the pics, it's well polished. LOL

Top Bottom