What's new

Vulfix 404 Grosvenor Pure Badger reknot

Well, I bought this brush some time ago but when it arrived somebody had trimmed the sides, but I did not like this brush as it was mixed bristle and badger.

So here is a write up on removing the old knot and fitting a two-band badger knot in its place, so let's get on with it, shall we..

Here is the old knot still in place as you can see the sides have been trimmed down.

1.jpg

So started to cut the knot out with some heavy-duty scissors, to remove the bulk to make it better to drill into the glue bump.

3.jpg
5.jpg

Then to get my carbide bits out ready, the first one I use has a point on it to make the hole into the centre.

4.jpg

So in it goes as you can see here hole is made into the knot

6.jpg

So now onto the next carbide bit with a flat bottom and straight sides

6a.jpg

Then comes the fun to expand the hole to remove the knot up to the side of the handle

7.jpg

As you can see there is a space between the knot and handle so I don't need to go deeper just need to remove the sides

8.jpg

The knot has now gone and history so now the carbide bit has been changed into a sanding drum, with a fine-grit just to remove the remaining epoxy around the side and test-fit the new knot.

Then I mix the epoxy in the hole I use a paper sleeve over the new knot to set the height, as I get new knots 65mm tall and set them 15mm deep so I have a loft of 50mm on the two band badgers.

This is a 22mm knot been installed then turned upside down for the epoxy to run onto the base of the knot, and flows to the side of the handle and leaves a space between the knot and handle as it was done when made.

9.jpg

Now the knot has had a full 24 hours to cure so time to lather some soap up and wash the bristles out, as the badger don't wash and sometimes you get a brown sludge that comes out of a new knot. So here is the new knot dried and bloomed, now its ready to go into the rotation along with the rest of the flock..

10.jpg

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Those are nice big handles, hefty and lathe-turned. Great candidates for a re-knot.

Nice job and quite an improvement. Much early shedding so far?

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Great job Ian. Thanks for the showing is how you did it. It gives me an idea on how to go about a couple of re-knots that I have sitting here that I did not have the confidence to attempt. Now I think that I might have a go.

Great job Ian. Thanks for the showing is how you did it. It gives me an idea on how to go about a couple of re-knots that I have sitting here that I did not have the confidence to attempt. Now I think that I might have a go.

Thank you, Andrew!!!

Please do give it a go it's worthwhile and gives you satisfaction in doing so....

That's why I did the write-up with pictures, to encourage others to have a go Like yourself none of us had the confidence to attempt it but I did have a go and enjoyed it. So if one or two has a go this write up worked, and I would love to see more members having a go even ask questions along the way.

No need to bin a shaving brush if the knot is not up to its job anymore, as there is some beautiful vintage brush handles out there that need some love to restore them back into a major part in this hobby that we all share.

Those are nice big handles, hefty and lathe-turned. Great candidates for a re-knot.

Nice job and quite an improvement. Much early shedding so far?

No shedding so far Doug!!! and used it about 5 times now, It did lose one bristle when I first washed it but I do wash the brushes out with a brush cleaner shampoo after every use. As there is a fair time in between uses.....

ABSOLUTELY FABULOUS!! :a29:

Thank you BigJ.

Nice tutorial. What did you use for a spacer when you set the knot 15mm deep?

Hi MtView...

I don't use a spacer when fitting the knot I make a sleeve of stiff paper that's a tight fit on the knot, then I measure the 15mm depth with the sleeve and that becomes my depth marker.

Then mix the epoxy in the handle, then I set the knot to the depth of the sleeve then turn the handle so the knot is facing downwards, and rotate it until the epoxy starts to set then leave it 24 hours to cure.

Then just pull the sleeve up off the knot job done, and you have a hollow between handle and knot so no need for a spacer.

Regards Ian

Hi MtView...

I don't use a spacer when fitting the knot I make a sleeve of stiff paper that's a tight fit on the knot, then I measure the 15mm depth with the sleeve and that becomes my depth marker.

Then mix the epoxy in the handle, then I set the knot to the depth of the sleeve then turn the handle so the knot is facing downwards, and rotate it until the epoxy starts to set then leave it 24 hours to cure.

Then just pull the sleeve up off the knot job done, and you have a hollow between handle and knot so no need for a spacer.

Regards Ian

Thank you for the explanation! I don't think I'm ready for that technique yet :), but I did bookmark the post because it sounds like an alternative to filling in a hollow handle with epoxy. I would definitely like to see pics of the process if you ever have the time to make them.

Top Bottom