What's new

Straight Razor - Problem if you are left handed?

I have been shaving with a double-edge razor for several years now and have been enjoying it very much. Was considering trying out the straight razor; however, I am left handed. Will this be a problem in a right-handed world. Are straight razors desinged to be used with either hand?

Straights are designed to be used with either hand and to shave properly you will need to use both hands.

Its actually usually easier for lefties as they're much better with their right hand than righties are with their left.

Straight razors design predates the advent of making things for left or right handed people. The only straights that I know of that might be made for one hand over the other would be the Japanese straights. Are you getting one of these? If not you will be fine. By the way, most guys who use a straight use both hands to shave. You have to switch hands to shave each side of your face. Try this kind of razor

http://cgi.ebay.com/STRAIGHT-Cut-Th...QQihZ004QQcategoryZ106315QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Or this one,

http://cgi.ebay.com/OPEN-STRAIGHT-R...4QQihZ009QQcategoryZ33933QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Mason

I'm a lefty....I love my straight and really didn't have much trouble in learning to use my right hand as well...
So Suzuki might be right.

I'm a lefty....I love my straight and really didn't have much trouble in learning to use my right hand as well...
So Suzuki might be right.

I'm left-handed as well - my understanding is that, for many lefties, their "handedness" isn't as pronounced/dominant as it is for many righties.

Also, lefties continually have to adapt and learn to use their right hand to adjust to the fact that most products are designed with the right-handed in mind (gear shifts in most countries, scissors, can openers, etc.).

Another lefty here. I agree with what has been stated so far. Just go slow with your off hand (well, go slow always). After a few shaves, it will start to feel normal.

Now I feel funny not using both hands even with a DE.

Jordan

I'm left-handed as well - my understanding is that, for many lefties, their "handedness" isn't as pronounced/dominant as it is for many righties.

Fellow lefty here. You are indeed correct. From "Right Hand, Left Hand" by Chris McManus, p. 152 paperback:

Over two-thirds of right-handers are strong right-handers. For left-handers, the situation is not as extreme. [...] Only about one-third of left-handers are strong left-handers. To put it another way, right-handers are more strongly handed than left-handers. Partly this is because left-handers live in a 'right-handed world' in which artefacts of all sorts, from microwave cookers to computer keyboards to pianos, are built primarily with the needs of right-handers in mind. [original emphasis]

Pretty good book. Has some good news for lefties: we probably don't live shorter lives. And some bad: higher rates of gender-association disorder and lower IQ than righties(0.5 points...I still won't believe it). McManus does gloss over the dificulties of being left handed though; he's a righty, afterall. Memories of drafting classes in college had me laughing out loud a few times.

I'm a lefty, and can straightshave just fine using only my left hand. It's all in how much hand strength and dexterity you have.

Hand strength to hold the razor with a gentle, yet proper grip in any position, and dexterity to be able to handle the razor in that position.

Actually my right hand is pretty sad when it comes to fine motor control. Reason for that is since I was a child..I knew I was left handed, so when I did anything that could harm a hand, I used my right. As expected, that hand was found in a cast, splint, or bandages at times....fairly often actually.

I am a lefty and have been using both hands to make sure I can get all the correct angles. Its not easy to "train" your off hand for straight shaving but there was a great tip over on Straight Razor Place the other day. Use your off hand to brush your teeth. This will help you develop a lighter touch and getting to difficult hand angles. Just a week of this improved my off hand noticeably.

Straights are designed to be used with either hand and to shave properly you will need to use both hands.

Its actually usually easier for lefties as they're much better with their right hand than righties are with their left.

Why would you not shave properly if you only used one hand?
All of the old time barbers only shaved people with one hand.
I tried using my left hand which has better dexterity than my right and simply didn't care to continue using it. I say what ever works is just fine. If you get a better shave using two hands then thats fine to, but I wouldn't go so far as saying you need to.

Glen

Glen,

Yes, a barber can to shave a customer using just one hand, but he's able to move around a lot more to get the right angle than I am when shaving myself. It's just a matter of being able to reach and maneuver on your own face and neck.

Another lefty here. And I've even trained up to use my right hand for some of those tough places to get from the left.

I am a lefty as well. I should say 'strong' lefty as referred above. I shave with a DE while only holding my razor in my left hand. I have tried to use both but just don't have the touch. I will give Iceman's tip a try and see if I can't improve with my righthandedness. I also shave with a Feather Artist Club left hand only. I think using both hands would make that experience much more enjoyable. Right now its like arm aerobics. :cursing:

I have been shaving with a double-edge razor for several years now and have been enjoying it very much. Was considering trying out the straight razor; however, I am left handed. Will this be a problem in a right-handed world. Are straight razors desinged to be used with either hand?
I am strong right handed and recently started shaving with straight razors. I found that using my left was not any more difficult than using my right for the small movements used in shaving. This surprised me at first since I have not used my left hand for much more than carrying groceries or a briefcase in the past. As I said, I believe that it has to do with the fact that shaving using relatively small movements and is not like throwing a baseball or hammering a nail with your left hand (when you are a right hander).

Top Bottom