What's new

Straight Razor PIF - Gold Dollar 208

I'm in, I've never used a straight razor but would love to learn. I'm a knife fanatic, so I'm sure maintaining the edge won't be a problem (although I know it's a little different for razors)

I've been thinking about trying my hand at honing and have been looking for a suitable blade for practice. Count me IN!

Thanks!

-- Sammy

I want to say Very Nice Pif.

I "hopefully" have Lapping Film, in the mail tomorrow.....But, I have some antique store SRs to work on, so, Not in, but, Very Nice of you.

Also, I am more-than "kind-ah" intimidated to let You-All know how the lapping-film-thing goes.......So, :w00t:

I'm in. I bought a set of lapping film and a granite block last year. I was going to attempt to sharpen my great-grandfather's straight razor, so I could try shaving with it (I'm a Feather AC user). Fortunately I came to my senses, and realized that it wouldn't be very smart to try to learn honing on a family heirloom! I need another razor to try the lapping film on, and this gold dollar could be just the ticket.

Im in ive been using a Dreadnaught shavette since Christmas and have a new water stone to try out if/when i get a straight still need one more stone or some film to finish. Thanks for the chance.

Yippie! I won something.

Chongo Gordo, thank you for the generous PIF!

My promise: after I have figured out whether straights are for me or not, I will PIF this on to someone else.

I have a neighbor who, about 20 or more years ago, won the big prize in our state lottery, not once, but twice. Millions. He still works. I am more than satisfied to win the Gold Dollar. Thank you!

To those who didn't win, give me a few months to play with this and it will be a PIF again. Whether that means I've gone on a straight razor and hone buying binge or retreated back to the safety of DE safety razors remains to be seen. Time will tell.

I don't know if I'm in or not... I'm a newb to wet shaving in general, you said the bevel is set but needs work (I know some stuff from being a knife collector) when you say "needs work" I'm assuming that puts it in the "not shave ready" category? If so, the. Sadly I'm not in, I would love to learn straight razor, but in 16 and have no job plus it was hard enough to get my parents to buy a MicroTouch one DE razor, so a straight razor+strop+hone is asking for a miracle....
if it is shave ready I am definitely in!

Top Bottom