What's new

Straight Razor Manniversary

The main thing is to enjoy the experience.
+1
Str8s, shavettes, devettes, SEs, DEs and Injectors are all there for your pleasure.

By becoming competent with str8s you will grasp the mechanics of good technique as well as some underlying theory as to what "sharpness" and "smoothness" really are.
After that your experience with every razor you use will be better and deeper :)

And then there's all the history and collecting to get into...

I wasn't trying for a streak, but a couple of months ago I tried a DE for the fist time in about a year and a half. It felt like I wasted a shave. I don't plan to use one again until I'm too feeble to use a proper razor.

This is exactly what my feelings were when I tried a DE again.

The streak is still going strong! Only straights and a shavette for two years. I don't think I'll ever shave with anything else.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Do it like you feel it.

I went on a shavette kick for a while. It is a nice change of pace sometimes. A nice fresh blade cuts the whiskers SO eagerly, and gives me a challenging benchmark to strive for in my modding and honing. But DEs just feel so clumsy to me these days. Cant see the cutting edge. Cant lower the shave angle beyond what the cap allows. Needs constant rinsing. I just dont get it about DEs any more so I have probably used my Slim maybe twice in the last year. I no longer have any other DEs, any SEs, Durhams, Rolls, Valets, nothing except one DE and many many pounds of straights and a few cheap shavettes. But if I were to feel the pull of the DE or any other type razor, I wouldn't feel no way about taking one up and shaving with it. You dont serve the razor. The razor serves you. Whim, or preference. Its all about you, either way.

The streak continues and the 3rd year is in the books. I did add a Feather AC to the stable and it has been seeing heavy rotation this year.

I pretty much did the same as you and let my small collection for DE/SE razors sit but then I worked out a plan to use each one just on Sundays with vintage Old Spice, I use straights the other six days.

Top Bottom