What's new

Straight Razor Golf?!

So, I was bored and had a phone in my hand- so my random “nothing box” which was my brain in the moment strayed towards straight razor stuff-

I came across this diagram which I had never seen nor heard mentioned in any of the forums.

It appears to be the diagram used by barbers to accomplish a 14-stroke shave. Ever see the old black and white movies where someone is in the chair, getting a shave & the barber is flicking his wrist and quickly moving along- and whamo- the shave is finished? After seeing such a shave, I thought, no way- that’s Hollywood- but now?

So I memorized the diagram and gave myself the challenge of the 14-stroke shave. I began thinking of it in terms of golf. How many strokes over 14 would I need to complete the shave? Not that it’s a contest or anything, but rather a way to try to give myself the shave a barber would’ve done according to this diagram.

Anyone else see this or try it? I thought this was interesting and figured I’d share. Smooth shaves & happy honing!

-C
76A03CA0-A44C-45E8-AA01-F1801606710B.jpeg

I remember seeing images like yours - not sure how similar the detail was. I see some strokes on that face that i know will not agree with my face/neck or hair growth.

It looks pretty complicated to me - i guess it may be a good starting point for a barbers early education but I would hope they quickly learn to read hair growth and adjust their technique accordingly - aligning to the person in their chair.

So, I was bored and had a phone in my hand- so my random “nothing box” which was my brain in the moment strayed towards straight razor stuff-

I came across this diagram which I had never seen nor heard mentioned in any of the forums.

It appears to be the diagram used by barbers to accomplish a 14-stroke shave. Ever see the old black and white movies where someone is in the chair, getting a shave & the barber is flicking his wrist and quickly moving along- and whamo- the shave is finished? After seeing such a shave, I thought, no way- that’s Hollywood- but now?

So I memorized the diagram and gave myself the challenge of the 14-stroke shave. I began thinking of it in terms of golf. How many strokes over 14 would I need to complete the shave? Not that it’s a contest or anything, but rather a way to try to give myself the shave a barber would’ve done according to this diagram.

Anyone else see this or try it? I thought this was interesting and figured I’d share. Smooth shaves & happy honing!

-CView attachment 1625474
The upper lip direction seems strange to me.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
I was looking at the old Robeson booklet, and they advised not to shave ATG to avoid irritation.This is probably good advice to their customers who are using a carborundum hone and maybe a CrOx strop. I think that aviiding ATG in those days was pretty normal, but might have altered the recommended pass directions. If you have a truly fine edge (and soap) there’s every reason to go ATG.

Purely apocryphal, but I once read (where, I do not recall) an anecdote by a Japanese in which he said that his grandfather told him that the old fashioned test of skill for a kamisori shaver was to be able to, when the omote was placed down on the face for the first time, complete the shave without lifting it from the face once.

So I’ve learned that this is the 14-stroke method a student barber must learn in order to pass the state board exam for shaving.

Top Bottom