What's new

Stop me before I buy again!

Greetings to one and all! I have been out to the antique shops again. I think what may be happening is that I fear someone else may scoop up all the goodies, so I have to find them first, and acquire them! It seems to me that once they're bought, they'll stay bought and never be seen again. Lucky for me, some of the local shops (Adams County PA) do not have inflated ideas regarding the value of dingy old razors. ;)

Yesterday, after raking leaves I decided to treat myself to a little foray out into the world, stopping into a few shops I had never visited. One had some type of early Gillette in a broken case for $85.00 - no thanks. My next stop was better. In a box full of random junk, I found five razors - an adjustable Gillette (no identifying numbers), a TTO Gillette that I will try to identify, (maybe a SuperSpeed), and three Gems - a Featherweight (? - the one with the ivory colored plastic handle), a Clog-Pruf Micromatic, and the Gem Junior with the fat bakelite handle. Forgive me; I'm new to this and don't yet know how to "ID" some of the razors exactly. I'll try to get some pics and post them when I can.

I understand there is a wealth of information about identifying/dating the Gillettes but I have also read that determining a date for the Gems is more difficult due to the lack of serial numbers and such. Any ideas?

They all needed a good cleaning, which luckily for me I find enjoyable and rewarding - so now I have five "new" razors to try! I used the Micromatic this morning and enjoyed it; tomorrow I believe I will go with the fat handled Junior. I'm loving the Gems! So far I only have been able to find basic Treet single-edge blades but am on the lookout for other types to try.

Have a great day, all -

Stop you? Hardly, I say you need to become a familiar person in your favorite shop. If you go often enough and talk to the folks, you will find they can become very helpful! Even if they don't know about razors, they generally know what is in their shop. But always verify, razors hide in odd places.

:thumbup1:

-jim

Where do you live in Adams County? I'm in Berwick Township just outside of Abbotstown.

And where are the places you are finding these goodies? If you don't mind me asking.

Thanks

I work in Gettysburg and live just west of town. I have been prowling the antique malls and shops, from New Oxford and Abbotstown all the way out west to Chambersburg. Always on the lookout! I found a nice batch up in Hershey recently as well. The antique mall near Chambersburg on Rte 30 had a few finds early in my razor acquisition frenzy, for next to nothing. Happy Hunting!

Top Bottom