What's new

Stone Imperial Russian Stout- and other new tastes for me.

I grabbed 2- 22 oz bottles on my beer run yesterday. I only wish I had found one with the added espresso to try.

I'm new to really experimenting with craft/session/small batch beers. Believe me, I've drank plenty of beers in my lifetime, but a "craft brew" to me was some of the typical beers found in your supermarket(Sam Adams, Magic Hat, Blue Moon). I'm talking about mainstream stuff, not unusual hard-to-find stuff.

I had a Flying Fish Farmhouse Summer Ale last night- very crisp, refreshing Summer Ale, just the right hoppiness for me. I'm not a fan of extremely hoppy beer.

I also had a Smuttynose Old Dog Brown Ale- really a wonderful smooth Brown Ale. Again, not too hoppy, not too thick, really refreshing, not too fillling beer. Really did enjoy this beer. I have traditionally enjoyed Brown Ales, this one is a winner in my book.

Now- To the Stone Imperial Russian Stout- this is really a new taste exoerience for me. Again, I've had stouts in my past, but, I've never taken time to evaluate, experiment, and test my palate. I've found that along with now taking time in the morning to shave properly and really enjoy it. I'm also taking this stance with other things in life and enjoying the finer things.

Now for the beer- this is really smooth to my tastes. I'm not good at explaining scents, specific tastes, etc. so I'll do my best to describe. This beer is very thick, like syrup almost. I poured into a frozen pint glass as you can see in pic. The pour produced a nice thick dark head. I let the beer sit for a moment as I took the pic.

First taste for me was a rich, somewhat hoppy, coffee-like flavor. Even though this is not the espresso added selection, itmhas a nice dark rich flavor to me. It isma bit hoppier than I usually enjoy, but the hoppiness accompanies the darkness and flavor nicely in this instance. As I write this review, the temperature is warming a bit on the beer and it tastes better as it warms up just a tad. This beer really tickles the tastebuds on the back portion of the tongue. Since this was a 22 oz bottle, I put the remainder of the bottle in the fridge while I enjoy the poured beer. But I decided to set it out and let the temp warm up a bit for the last bit remaining in the bottle. This is a tasty selection, that is somewhat filling, but a beer to appreciate. I'll enjoy the second bottle for sure, when I crack it,open.

I'm really enjoying the selections and new beers I've purchased. It's nice to stop and smell the roses- and enjoy a well crafted adult-beverage.

Cheers!

Pics are here:

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 66
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 66
Great beer. Another really good, readily available stout is the Great Divide Yeti. There are several different flavors of the Yeti...and they are all delicious. Especially the oak aged versions.

Welcome to world of craft brew!

Why frozen glass? The colder the beer is, the less flavours it will develop. Next time just flush your glass with cold water. YMMV of course, but i really think there is no need for that.

You might wanna try Black Chocolate Stout from Brooklyn Brewery. Timeless classic.

Why frozen glass? The colder the beer is, the less flavours it will develop. Next time just flush your glass with cold water. YMMV of course, but i really think there is no need for that.

You might wanna try Black Chocolate Stout from Brooklyn Brewery. Timeless classic.

I'm an ice-cold beer in a frozen glass kind of guy. I get plenty of flavor from it. I also drink fine Champagne and white wine WAY too cold for aficionados. To top it off, I drink fine whiskey PACKED with ice. (Cognac may be my sole exception from this rule--then again, I don't heat Cognac with anything other than my hand.)

I'm clearly a heathen.

I'm an ice-cold beer in a frozen glass kind of guy. I get plenty of flavor from it. I also drink fine Champagne and white wine WAY too cold for aficionados. To top it off, I drink fine whiskey PACKED with ice. (Cognac may be my sole exception from this rule--then again, I don't heat Cognac with anything other than my hand.)

I'm clearly a heathen.

+1 - we obviously have some serious problems. Shall we schedule a group session for therapy at a local "watering hole"?

Hey, I like my beers cold and I'm with you, I like my whiskey even colder. I bought some whiskey rocks- they don't do the trick. For my tastes, sippin' whiskey must be chilled. I must be quite the heathen as well. I hope I'm still allowed on the forum.

As always- YMMV :laugh:

Cheers!!!

Yeah I'm not in the camp of it having to be warm to enjoy all the flavor. I do prefer my stouts a bit warmer as I feel it brings out the sweetness of the malt, but I do like my lighter beers to be cold. I don't freeze my glasses either, unless it's a BMC like Bud or Miller.

Besides, they usually get warmer in the glass and you still get that transformation. Which in my experience is generally only a little sweeter than the colder product. But that's me and it's 100 degrees here in the summer and I like my drink cold.

The Stone stout is good, isn't it? I've had the Yeti and the Rasputin too, and liked them both.

I went to the Stone brewery with one of my buddies a couple of months ago. It was quite a place--the Disneyland of craft breweries. If they had built a hotel into the place, I might still be there.

I think that the frozen glass and the super cold beer is a YMMV thing. If you like it, why not? The important thing is to enjoy it.

Second Old Ras, which is year round, unlike the Stone.

You can also find a really solid Imperial Stout in Sam Smith's Imperial Stout.

The Stone stout is good, isn't it? I've had the Yeti and the Rasputin too, and liked them both.

I went to the Stone brewery with one of my buddies a couple of months ago. It was quite a place--the Disneyland of craft breweries. If they had built a hotel into the place, I might still be there.

I think that the frozen glass and the super cold beer is a YMMV thing. If you like it, why not? The important thing is to enjoy it.

I enjoy everything I've ever tried from Stone...and I was fortunate to go to the Brewery myself on Memorial day. Beautiful.

And FYI, they are building a hotel across the street. Slated to open late 2014 :001_cool::thumbup:

This. If its 100 degrees out, I don't want ANYTHING I'm drinking to be even remotely warm.

Yeah sure, but then you probably don't drink heavy beers on that occasions right?

I hope i wasn't impolite or rude with asking about frozen glasses, it was just meant as a question and nothing else...

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Stone is a great brewery, but my favorite Imperial Russian stout is North Coast's Old Rasputin. Try the Victory Storm King, too.

Stone is a great brewery, but my favorite Imperial Russian stout is North Coast's Old Rasputin. Try the Victory Storm King, too.
Had a Victory Storm King last night. Was good, but not as good as the Stone for my tastes. Need to try North Coast- someone else recommended as well.

Storm King and Rasputin have a good dose of piney hops in them. This divides a lot of stout drinkers on these two. I personally love them both.

I love RIS! Saranac Brewing has their "High Peaks" series RIS...I no longer see it around though. Boy...does it light you up after a few. :) Good winter beer.

Stout should never be ice cold. Except Guinness. IMO, Stout starts to really gain flavor around 45°F, as do most craft beers. IPA, however, is better on the colder side. I feel the hops shine through better when colder.

BMC should be served exactly 1 degree from being a slushy. And drink it before it has a chance to warm up more than 1/2 a degree, from an frozen block of ice carved into a glass. And even then, I might just take water instead.

That Stone RIS is one of my top 5 stouts.

The only brew from stone i wasn't all that impressed with was the levitation. Maybe it was outdated, i will try it again to make sure.

+1 for the yeti.

Top Bottom