What's new

Stirling Syndicate

I have Deep Blue Sea, my first from Stirling. The quality of lather is excellent (almost too rich so that it stays in my skin for a full day).

However the scent is too strong for me. I usually go with unscented products. Can someone recommend another scent that's more mild? Do they have unscented? I will check.

ETA: They have unscented, unscented with beeswax and unscented with vetiver.
I think Sandpiper and/or Arkadia are nice scents that are not super strong. You might want to try one of those if you don't go with an unscented option which they do offer.

Sterling Brothers, I have a new tub of Glacial Electric Sheep, I have used it about 3 or 4 times. Would anyone be interested in trading for a Ozark mountain? The menthol is too much for me. I am open to other trades as well.

I have Deep Blue Sea, my first from Stirling. The quality of lather is excellent (almost too rich so that it stays in my skin for a full day).

However the scent is too strong for me. I usually go with unscented products. Can someone recommend another scent that's more mild? Do they have unscented? I will check.

Stirling Naked & Smooth might be what you're looking for in an unscented soap. I like Sheep a lot, personally, but some people say they get a gamey smell off the jar. That really makes my brow furrow, personally, as I never got anything remotely similar when I used it, but that's me.

For something (mildly) scented what's your profile preference (e.g. citrus-y, warm/spicy, floral, etc.)? Taking a stab in the dark I can suggest Sandpiper which is quite nice in my opinion.

Sample pucks are definitely the way to go if you need to experiment.

Sterling Brothers, I have a new tub of Glacial Electric Sheep, I have used it about 3 or 4 times. Would anyone be interested in trading for a Ozark mountain? The menthol is too much for me. I am open to other trades as well.
It might help to specify what size the Glacial Electric Sheep soap jar that you have is.

I'm interested but don't have Ozark Mountain and am not sure what you would consider, especially without knowing what size the G.E.S is.

Stirling Naked & Smooth might be what you're looking for in an unscented soap. I like Sheep a lot, personally, but some people say they get a gamey smell off the jar. That really makes my brow furrow, personally, as I never got anything remotely similar when I used it, but that's me.

For something (mildly) scented what's your profile preference (e.g. citrus-y, warm/spicy, floral, etc.)? Taking a stab in the dark I can suggest Sandpiper which is quite nice in my opinion.

Sample pucks are definitely the way to go if you need to experiment.
Thanks for these good options. Sandpiper looks like more my speed. I avoid fragrances in everything including laundry detergent; however one company which does fragrance well is Claus Porto (soaps).

It might help to specify what size the Glacial Electric Sheep soap jar that you have is.

I'm interested but don't have Ozark Mountain and am not sure what you would consider, especially without knowing what size the G.E.S is.
I'm sorry. It is the 5.8 ounce jar.

Attachments

• 20220909_182046.jpg
    20220909_182046.jpg
    699.5 KB · Views: 7
I had a fantastic shave with Varen today. It has been a favourite of mine, but for the last month I’ve been using B&M le grand chypre. LGC is a pleasant summer scent and B&M performs very well, but Varen blew me away today after having a break from it. For me, even the revered omnibus base has nothing on Stirling’s mutton tallow. And Varen remains one of my favourite fragrances, I finished off with the matching EDT.

I had a fantastic shave with Varen today. It has been a favourite of mine, but for the last month I’ve been using B&M le grand chypre. LGC is a pleasant summer scent and B&M performs very well, but Varen blew me away today after having a break from it. For me, even the revered omnibus base has nothing on Stirling’s mutton tallow. And Varen remains one of my favourite fragrances, I finished off with t
Love this. Interested in Vaern as my next Stirling Soap.

Has anyone used both Sterling Glastonbury and Varen? Both have oak moss, I'm curious if I will like Varen. I could get a sample I am sure, but just looking for opinions. Thanks!

Has anyone used both Sterling Glastonbury and Varen? Both have oak moss, I'm curious if I will like Varen. I could get a sample I am sure, but just looking for opinions. Thanks!
I have used both. Varen is predominately oak moss, Glastonbury is like pure patchouli. Both are good scents depending on what you like. I personally much prefer Varen, but if you like patchouli you will love Glastonbury.

I have used both. Varen is predominately oak moss, Glastonbury is like pure patchouli. Both are good scents depending on what you like. I personally much prefer Varen, but if you like patchouli you will love Glastonbury.
I have Varen in AS, and love it (but it isn’t my wife’s favorite, so I will probably get Varen in shave soap soon to enjoy by myself). I have Glastonbury in soap and AS on order. I can’t wait for a patchouli fix.

Also, +1 on the unscented, Naked & Smooth. I love fragrances, but Stirling’s unscented is a great soap, with just a clean, soap smell.

Last edited:
I currently have the Glastonbury. I'm about finished with the tub. Sounds like Varen might be the better scent profile. Thanks!

View attachment 1521480
Beware, there’s no way back from this now 😉
I'm not afraid.... I love the mutton base. I like earthy scents too. Sounds perfect really. I am not a fan of the cologne type scents like Sharp dressed man type stuff. I dont like powdery scents, or eucalyptus either. Varen might just be the one. I might order a sample first to check it out before buying the tub.

33A931F1-E299-4901-9CC0-3E611F914A94.jpeg

B&B Subforum Week / SEptember - Stirling September

Prep: P.A.A. Cube 2.0 (face wash)

Blade: Gem Stainless Steel PTFE
Razor: Gem Micromatic Flying Wing w/ Guiding Eye (Gold)

Brush: Yaqi Purple Haze (synthetic)
Soap: Stirling Soap Co. Faskally

Post 1: P.A.A. Alum w/ dry dock system
Post 2: Dickinson's Enhanced Witch Hazel Deep Cleansing Astringent w/ Menthol & Eucalyptus
Aftershave: Stirling Soap Co. Faskally
Post 3: Neutrogena Hydro Boost Gel-Cream Extra-Dry w/ Hyaluronic Acid
Finish: Stirling Soap Co. Faskally EdT

I really enjoy participating in these weekly themed events and like when others do too. I always try to post pictures that follow the theme so with that said today's shave is in honor of the sports subforum.

I'm a huge baseball / Dodgers fan so I just had to pull out one of my official jerseys. 😉

The Gem Micromatic was on point today. Paired with the Gem SS PTFE blade I easily earned a bbs shave. With only a few single-edge shaves under my belt I feel that my technique has really improved.

I did a three pass shave, including against the grain, along with some touching up. The Stirling Soap Co. Faskally was a real champion. The performance was top-notch as always and the scent is an absolute 10 out of 10. If you have the chance to get your hands on this soap, do it! It smells amazing! It's inspired by Tom Ford Grey Vetiver incase you're wondering.

Overall today's shave was thoroughly enjoyable.

Shave on gentlemen.

When I was in kindergarten in southeast Iowa my friend Paul Burkhardt, couple of years older than me, told me that the Brooklyn Dodgers were the best team because they let black people play with them. So they were my team.

For me, finding scents I like is tough. Thankfully Stirling offers their soaps in sample size. But since Stirling offers so many scents, even sampling them can rack up a substantial cost. Even so, I highly recommend buying samples before you buy a tub. Or better yet, buy the unscented soap and sample the different scents through their aftershave samples.

If you want to buy a scented tub of soap, my recommendation is to try a citrus, fruit, or nut fragrance you're familiar with. At least that way you won't be repulsed by it. My current favorite is Black Cherry, and its scent is subtle. If you like the cooling effect of menthol, the "Chill" scents are pretty good. Note: since I recommend fruity, citrus scents, I can't smell the scent from the tub of Glacial Strawberry Lemonade. There's so much menthol I don't smell the strawberry lemonade until after the shave when the menthol finally begins to dissipate. It does evolve into a mostly pleasant strawberry scent. :)

Top Bottom