What's new

Stirling Syndicate

Well I like Tabac performance and never tried Stirling before.

As Stirling has a lot of offerings, is there any of its offering that can compete with Tabac performance or beat it?

I am not talking about scent preference as Tabac is a bit unique I guess.

I have Orange Chill and Barbershop in Rotation with Tabac. They are all great performers, but I can smell the Stirlings, but not so much the Tabac. The Tabac cologne I have remedies the Tabac issue.

I know you said scent isn’t a concern and it certainly is not that important too me, but I do enjoy smelling a strongly scented lather.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I find both are plenty slick. I think Tabac lathers a little easier, and definitely lasts longer, but I get a great shave from either.

Sent from my DROID Turbo using Tapatalk

Tabac is a bit easier to lather and slightly slicker in my opinion but the reality is that Stirling is a terrific soap and an excellent value. Throw a few LARGE samples in your cart to test the scents.

I do love Stirling soaps, but no doubt, for me, Tabac a tinny bit "better" for performance.
Ever so slightly better protection, stupid easy to lather (not that Stirling is hard) and just as slick (if not a bit better).

You should try Stirling @albsat , great soap, great value too.

Personally, I prefer Stirling in terms of performance over Tabac. Scents are secondary and since we all like different things so I compare soaps on performance alone. I'll comment on scent but it's not a factor in my assessment. Kinda like how if a race car is blue or red it doesn't change how it performs.

What you'll get with Stirling is a very gel like lather that's exceptionally slick. I've heard it described as "slicker than snot on a doorknob". The samples are large and there are plenty of good scents. On the negative side it leaves behind a sticky feeling on your face that disappears once it dries. It's one I'll recommend to people starting out as it's exceptionally slick, very easy to get a good lather from and samples are large and very inexpensive. The maker provides exceptional customer service and is an absolute pleasure to deal with. Scent wise I like Executive Man (which is a Creed Aventus clone) and MITA which is kind of a Cool Peppermint Lime scent

Tabac on the other hand is also a very good soap. Less of a gel like lather, still very good but not nearly as slick for me. It's a serviceable, enjoyable soap to use. It's quite popular but not on par performance wise with some of the newer higher end Artisan offerings. It's a very hard soap (triple milled maybe) so a puck lasts a very, very long time making it an excellent value. The scent is more of a love it or hate it thing as some find the powdery note to be undesirable. I've heard it describe as smelling the the inside of Grandma's purse. Personally, after a few uses I find that I enjoy the scent.

Neither of these soaps makes my tier 1 or possess what I'd call exceptional post shave but both are enjoyable to use.

Personally, I prefer Stirling in terms of performance over Tabac. Scents are secondary and since we all like different things so I compare soaps on performance alone. I'll comment on scent but it's not a factor in my assessment. Kinda like how if a race car is blue or red it doesn't change how it performs.

What you'll get with Stirling is a very gel like lather that's exceptionally slick. I've heard it described as "slicker than snot on a doorknob". The samples are large and there are plenty of good scents. On the negative side it leaves behind a sticky feeling on your face that disappears once it dries. It's one I'll recommend to people starting out as it's exceptionally slick, very easy to get a good lather from and samples are large and very inexpensive. The maker provides exceptional customer service and is an absolute pleasure to deal with. Scent wise I like Executive Man (which is a Creed Aventus clone) and MITA which is kind of a Cool Peppermint Lime scent

Tabac on the other hand is also a very good soap. Less of a gel like lather, still very good but not nearly as slick for me. It's a serviceable, enjoyable soap to use. It's quite popular but not on par performance wise with some of the newer higher end Artisan offerings. It's a very hard soap (triple milled maybe) so a puck lasts a very, very long time making it an excellent value. The scent is more of a love it or hate it thing as some find the powdery note to be undesirable. I've heard it describe as smelling the the inside of Grandma's purse. Personally, after a few uses I find that I enjoy the scent.

Neither of these soaps makes my tier 1 or possess what I'd call exceptional post shave but both are enjoyable to use.

+1.

Andy, I've never tried Stirling. I respect your judgement so I won't lay awake thinking about what Stirling could be like, but keep on sleeping while reeking of Tabac.

Oh, don’t get me wrong. Sterling is good stuff. But for me Tabac is the reference shave soap.

Oh, don’t get me wrong. Sterling is good stuff. But for me Tabac is the reference shave soap.
I didn't get you wrong, I just grab every straw I can find when it comes to finding reasons not to buy another shaving soap. When all is said and done I could live happily ever after only having the following shaving soaps (regardless of scent):
  1. Tabac
  2. Haslinger
  3. Mitchell's Wool Fat
  4. Saponificio Varesino
  5. Il Coloniali (discontinued)
So why do I have +70 soaps, most of them very good?

I didn't get you wrong, I just grab every straw I can find when it comes to finding reasons not to buy another shaving soap. When all is said and done I could live happily ever after only having the following shaving soaps (regardless of scent):
  1. Tabac
  2. Haslinger
  3. Mitchell's Wool Fat
  4. Saponificio Varesino
  5. Il Coloniali (discontinued)
So why do I have +70 soaps, most of them very good?

Hard to argue that. I’ve got the top three in my stable. I probably have about 18 and that’s too many. I put Proraso right up there and need to try Saponificio Varesino.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You are not wrong.

I have only recently decided to include Tabac shave stick in my "other" order to get over that "free shipping" limit (grated and pressed down into the old B&M empty tub immediately) and was immediately like "wait, what was I doing all these years??". About 3 weeks later of almost constant use, I'm still blown away by it's performance.

Just ask @6Cuda6 if I ever mentioned to him how I felt about my "new" discovery? :D :D :D

Top Bottom