What's new

Stirling Syndicate

Hello [MENTION=103776]YKMV[/MENTION] and others: as for the finish onthe Stirling E3P7S razor, there are some very slight hair linescratches on the top of the head.... not really noticeable unless youlook for them. The razor came well wrapped in bubble wrap so I donot believe it was a shipping issue. Below are some photos but pleasenote: some of these photos are enlarged so these scratches are morenoticeable. Also, the photos are from my iPhone with some Lightroompost processing... I can take some better photos with my Nikon D7100if that would help. Again, these scratches do not bother me and I amusually very picky about such things.

Stay tuned for photos/impressions laterfrom my first use of the Stirling Glacial Lemon Chill soap.

Regards,
Joseph

Last edited by a moderator:
I concur with the review. I used Stirling Gentleman soap and aftershave (w/menthol) this morning. It has the expected excellent Stirling performance. Gentleman instantly moved into my "Top 5" Scents".

proxy.php

I used Stirling Gentleman soap and aftershave (w/menthol) today. It has the usual excellent Stirling performance. Gentleman immediately became one of my "Top 5" scents in all brands.

proxy.php

Stirling Grapefruit is a heckuva soap. I've wanted to like Stirling soaps since I began DE shaving six months ago. They get, as you all know, great reviews. They're also inexpensive when compared to other good artisan soaps. I am, at heart, a cheapskate, and Stirling is a bargain when compared to other fine artisan soaps. Stirling's more expensive soaps are $13.00 for a 5.8 ounce tub, which is just under $2.25 per ounce. Compare to B&M and CRSW (my favorites) which come in 4 ounce tubs and (for the non-Latha soaps) start at $16, or $4.00 per tub and up.

Unfortunately, the one Stirling soap I bought, Bay Lime, never did it for me. The smell was too strong, I thought I was getting a lime sent with bay undertones, but its a strong bay scent with very little lime undertones. I'm just not a bay rum guy (I don't care for Mike's Bay Rum either - also very strong). So, I emailed Rod and asked which Stirling soaps he'd recommend for those of us who like mellower scents. He replied with a very nice email and suggested Executive Man, and that Grapefruit and Lime, also mellow, would be out shortly. The day Grapefruit came out I bought a tub and a tub of Executive Man as well.

Well, now I get why Stirling gets the reviews it does! When I opened the tub it smelled like, well . . . Grapefruit! But not an in-your-face smell. Like Rod said, its a nice mellow scent. For my first shave with Grapefruit I used:

• Stirling's Unscented Oil (good stuff at a great price) for my pre-shave,
  • my SOC boar brush,
  • my Merkur 34C HD (still my only DE razor),
  • a Feather blade (third shave with that particular blade), and
  • Lab Series Razor Burn Relief (a darn nice post-shave balm).
I did my usual routine. I put a thin layer of hot water on the soap and soaked the brush while I showered. After showering I applied the pre-shave oil, and splashed the water on top of the soap to dampen my beard (no wasting!). I then loaded aggressively in the tub for around 30-40 seconds. The lather was excellent, slick, and the scent was very nice and mellow. Three passes and a touch-up here and there and I had a great shave. Post-shave feel was nice. The grapefruit smell lingered for a short while after which I was left with a darn nice BBS.

Anyhow, I'm a happy camper. Forget Grapefruit as a summer soap. IMHO its a year-rounder. I have to say that it doesn't lather quite as thick as B&M and CRSW, but its still plenty thick, doesn't dissipate on the face, provides for a fine shave, and for the price it can't be beat. I'm looking forward to my first shave with Executive Man, which also had a nice mellow scent in the tub. Rod, thanks for the suggestion!

proxy.php

Hello,
Update: [MENTION=94606]BigJ[/MENTION] [MENTION=93173]dangerousdon[/MENTION] glad you both indicate this is a learning process. I have read this on many other posts as well. I think I rushed the lathering process too much. Didn't get enough soap on the initial load and had to go back to the puck a few times. My goal is to go to the puck only twice: once for face and once for head.

So here are my first impressions on using Stirling Soap Co Glacial Lemon Chill:
  • Love the smell
  • Pressed the puck in the green tub and it just about filled the bottom
  • Soap has a very soft texture as well as slick
  • Filled sink and ceramic mug with hot water and added synthetic 22mm Li'l Brudder
  • Did NOT “bloom” soap... I believe that is the correct term
  • With the brush still slightly wet I started to load from puck for about 30 seconds
  • Emptied mug and started to build lather in mug
  • I had to go back to the puck to load more soap
  • Tomorrow I will spend more time on the initial load... maybe a full minute?
  • Once I got the lather, the shave was GREAT
  • The menthol was so very cool on my face and over the top on my head... I loved the coolness and smell
  • Very slick soap
  • Great close shave with the Dollar Shave Club cartridges
  • Face still soft and smooth a few hours after shave
  • For aftershave I use Pinaud Clubman and please don't shoot me, I cut it with 40% witch hazel. One of my daughters has very bad allergies plus I like to apply the Clubman throughout the day. I do like the smell... very fresh
I plan to still use the DSC cartridges until I get the lathering down then introduce the DE razor starting with my face and hopefully progressing to head shaving with the DE.

Some photos in process order:

Stay turned.

Regards,
Joseph

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to B&B - keep reading, watching videos & most certainly asking questions. I'm pretty new to this myself & can tell you from experience that you'll definitely make some mistakes early on. Don't get discouraged, u will get better, keep at it & try to enjoy the journey!!
One additional tip - consider getting an Alum Block.

I have used the new Stirlilng Gentleman soap the past three days. I used three different brushes: 2-Band Finest, Silvertip, and High Mountain White. The soap lathered easily and gave me three excellent smooth, close shaves as expected from Stirling. Thea scent has immediately become a “Top 5” for me in all brands.

Scent:

“A warm and masculine blend of tobacco, Amber, vanilla, and musk.”

proxy.php
proxy.php
]
proxy.php

I face lather exclusively and my Stirling Barbershop performs as well as any of my other soaps. Good stuff! Highly recommended

The reason I ask is,somewhere it was mentioned that it was designed/ formulated for bowl lathering - hence wondering abt its face latherability

I don't know about CRSW, but I do face lather with Stirling as well. I am new and still struggle a bit with face lathering. One thing I have noticed and read... Stirling is fairly thirsty. You will likely have to add more water as you are lathering. I really like Stirling. It is a slick soap with excellent scents.

Top Bottom