What's new

Stirling Syndicate

Just wanted to give you guys the heads up, this new scent from Stirling Soap is fantastic. Smoky, musky, earthy, and only slightly sweet, this new soap and aftershave is a refined, masculine scent. It's a blend of tobacco, amber, musk and vanilla. Of course, the soap performs as wonderfully as any of the other ones from Stirling, and the aftershave is not only refreshing, but the scent lingers. Seriously, if you're a fan of tobacco scents, check it out. :thumbup1:

IIRC that's Island Man? I was looking through all the various scents and descriptions on a reseller site (only one i can find for Canada) and I've been planning on putting in an order for the past few weeks but keep getting side tracked. I should really reply back to their email though :$
Hopefully tonight I can sit my butt down to order :D

I'm more of a cream guy but I have been wanting to order some Stirling Barbershop shave soap. I've read that so many people just love the smell and it lathers like a beast as well. I want to see for myself. I'll probably order some and have it sent to my office so I don't catch grief from the wife. :001_rolle

Hello,
Hope this is the correct place for this review?

I have gained much knowledge from this forum and enjoyed reading many posts. I wanted to attempt to return some of that sharing. I plan to document a review of the Stirling Soap Co. Budget Starter Shave Kit, my first DE shave experience with this kit and my overall thoughts.

First some background. I have been shaving my face with Dollar Shave Club cartridges for some time now... in the shower with DSC Shave Butter. Many years ago I used a brush and soap with a cartridges razor and enjoyed the experience. Then the kids came and time got short hence the shaving in the shower. Recently I started shaving my head. First with a Braun Series 7 then moved to the DSC cartridges. I pulled out the old shave brush and bowl, purchased a drug store puck and used that to lather face and head but still with the DSC cartridges.

Well, one thing lead to another and after much reading on this site I decided to upgrade my kit. I love menthol and read some great reviews here on Stirling Soap Co Frozen Tundra. I compared Stirling to Italian Barber and for reasons I am not sure myself decided on Stirling.

I called Stirling Soap Co and as I am sure anyone who has experienced the Customer Service from Stirling will know Rod picked up on the 3 or 4 ring. I asked a few questions regarding razors and decided on the Budget Starter Shave Kit with the DE3P7S razor. And even with the $2.00USD upgrade for the better handle the total was $29.00USD. With shipping TOTAL COST $32.95USD!!!

I placed my order to include:

• DE3P7S razor
  • Frozen Tundra soap sample
  • Scots Pine Sheep soap sample
  • Tea Tree soap sample
  • Frozen Tundra AS sample
  • 22mm synthetic brush
  • Assortment of blades
  • Green bowl

The next day as I continued to read the posts here in B&B I read about Stirling's Glacial soaps. So I quickly called Stirling and again Rod picks up on the 3-4 ring. I find out later on the call that Rod is out with family but still takes my call and the time to talk to me about Glacial soaps. Rod tells me the Glacials have like 4X the amount of menthol as Frozen Tundra. COOL!!! I ask if I can change my order. Rod says (paraphrased):“sure, I am out of the office right now but send me a note”.

So today the kit arrived in the USPS!!! See photos below:

1. Inner box inside USPS bubble envelope
  2. Inside of box packaging
  3. Shrink wrap
  4. Included items... NOTE Rod added a FREE sample Tea Tree bath soap. My original order had Tea Tree shave soap... very nice touch

The packing slip had a hand written note from Rod. I asked a question about recommendations for a stand. Rod actually said: “you might check with West Coast Shave. I'm looking to carrying them”. Not many merchant's today refer you to a competitor! I am really starting to like Stirling before I even unwrap a sample!

My first impressions:
-Well packaged
-The extra sample of bath soap as a great surprise as was the hand written note
-The soaps smell GREAT. Even through the plastic wrap
-The DE razor is heavier then I though it would be... again from your informative posts I will use the weight of the razor withOUT pressure.
-The synthetic brush is very softdry... I actually like that.

For my first shave tomorrow I plan to use the soap and brush and use my Dollar Shave Club cartridge. I want to experience the soap and brush without the added worry of breaking in the DE razor technique.

So, I have 3 samples to choose from:Glacial Spearmint, Wintergreen and Lemon Chill... I'm thinking the Lemon Chill to start?

Here is what I THINK I should do:
-Put the puck into the green tub...flatten it out to the outer circumference
-Load the brush
-Build lather in my ceramic mug
-Apply to face and shave
-Then repeat for head

Thoughts?

Stay tuned for more photos and updates!

Regards,
Joseph

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like you're well set up, Joseph. Stirling is a great company with many well-regarded soaps. I particularly like the Ozark Mountain and Black Cherry scents.

Welcome to B&B!

I'm another Stirling fan-boy, even though I've only used (so far..another order is on the way) their Barbershop soap. Seems like a good company, and I suspect that I will be supporting them for a long time.

Nice starter kit...shave on! Let us know how you like the Stirling stuff.

I have been impressed with Stirling so far. I've tried a few of their soaps, and found them a pleasure to use. The generate a slick, dense lather and have a great post shave feel. I'll be sure to keep following the thread. I'm interested in reading you review, but the promise of pictures is sure to reel me back in.

JosephK,

Thanks for the review. I've been looking at getting one of Rod's kits sent directly to my son in Oakland. I've used a number of Stirling soaps and balms but I've been on the fence about the razor.

Some of the razor reviews have complained about the finish of the razor. How is the yours?

Thanks.

[MENTION=110760]JosephKFuller[/MENTION] That is a great first impression review. I am happy that you had a good experience. I think you are on the right track as far as your soap goes. The soap has plenty of surface area so I wouldn't necessarily "flatten it out" in the tub, but I would press it into the tub so that it "grips" the bottom. Once you load your brush then yes I would either bowl lather...or my preference...face lather. I find that face lathering I can get my lather to the perfect consistency, but you need to find your own way and consider what is best for you. Keep up the good work and let us all know how the shave goes!

Welcome aboard! IMO, the main thing to recognize is that this is a skill that takes awhile to master! Read the wiki and focus on technique!

Top Bottom