What's new

Stirling Sheep Soap Smell

doctordial

my brain goes "thonk"
I've read a post where someone was saying he didn't like the smell of this soap. I just used it and although it isn't very fragrant it is a fragrance free soap. the smell wasn't bad to at all considering this. It's nothing that a aftershave, cologne, or something similar wouldn't take care of. I think it's ok and what I smell now is PAA CaD bath soap I used. I will be using and aftershave though.

My Stirling Scots Pine sample smelled like lanolin. Literally smelled identical to lanolin based rubs for cow udders. Not unpleasant, by any means, but certainly present. In fact I smelled no pine whatsoever. My tub of electric sheep probably did, too, but the overpowered by the fragrance oils. So it appears to be perfectly normal.

My Stirling Scots Pine sample smelled like lanolin. Literally smelled identical to lanolin based rubs for cow udders. Not unpleasant, by any means, but certainly present. In fact I smelled no pine whatsoever. My tub of electric sheep probably did, too, but the overpowered by the fragrance oils. So it appears to be perfectly normal.
Scots Pine does not smell like pine (evergreen, fir), rather like wood itself

Love my sheep soap. Yes, out of the tub it has a light "sheep" smell, but after you have rinsed your face, there is nothing of it left. The quality of the soap is outstanding (for me). Usually finish off with an AS and ASB (or edt / edp). So for me absolutely great soap, which you can combine with any fragrance afterwards you like!

I have also a Naked & Smooth coming my way, so that makes for a good comparison shortly.

full

Beef tallow doesn't smell at all that is likely why you see such a great variety of scents in the beef tallow formula. I bet if Stirling tweaked the mutton soap formula they could match the performance of the mutton tallow soaps in all of their scents rather than offer a very limited scent variety of mutton tallow soaps. I'm sure this would change the pricing of all their soaps so they choose not to change things and assume the majority of people are content with the mutton soaps as they are.

It smells like an animal base. There are cosmetic chemist approved chemicals to get rid of it.

But the truth is, electric sheep smells like a citronella bug repellent and it’s not bad when it’s hour out. Glacial is just too cold, avoid it.

Just grab some essential oil you like from your store, put a drop or maybe 2 in at most and lather up. It’s decent that way.

It did a solid base with great cushion and post shave. It’s just that fat smell.

I think they should replace the lanolin, maybe jojoba, or replace both lanolin and coconut milk with coconut oi/butterl?

When I first tried their Sheep soap, the scent was off-putting. However, I got used to it (or went nose-blind?). As wiser folks before me (@Dtownvino ) have said, a few scent drops would likely mask the animal aroma. However, I'm personally enjoying it with the sheep scent. Weird!

Regardless, it is quite fortunate for me, as I have really taken to this soap. It performs exceedingly well for me, with great protection and no drying post shave. I've tried their two other unscented soaps...IMO, both pale in comparison to the Sheep base.

As a nice bonus, Stirling is a great value. To me, that's a big deal.

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
When I first tried their Sheep soap, the scent was off-putting. However, I got used to it (or went nose-blind?). As wiser folks before me (@Dtownvino ) have said, a few scent drops would likely mask the animal aroma. However, I'm personally enjoying it with the sheep scent. Weird!

Regardless, it is quite fortunate for me, as I have really taken to this soap. It performs exceedingly well for me, with great protection and no drying post shave. I've tried their two other unscented soaps...IMO, both pale in comparison to the Sheep base.

As a nice bonus, Stirling is a great value. To me, that's a big deal.
I highly recommend blending the Sheep soap with one of your other favorite soaps. For example, I mixed B&M Hallows with Sheep and it’s a wonderfully performing combo.

Along the lines of adding fragrance oil or essential oil to the Sheep soap, I've read that people have tried adding Stirling Beard Oil to Sheep soap with great results. The advantage is that you potentially get one of your favorite authentic Stirling scents in a mutton tallow base.

The sheep scent isn't my favorite, but it wouldn't be the only soap I've used with excellent lather that has an unappealing scent (Arko, Tabac).

Well, I just got my new tub of Sheep this evening and something is very much off. Not sure why, but it's slightly sweet and almost citrusy. The gamey smell is non-existent.

I sent a message off to Stirling. The only options I can think of is (1) they sent me the wrong soap - something mis-labeled, maybe or (2) they are using some sort of oils / additives to get rid of the gamey scent.

Either way, it confirms my previous statement... I'm actually liking the gamey scent as I prefer that one, oddly enough. We'll see what they say.

Top Bottom