What's new

Sterno / stove

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Been experimenting with ultralight ways to cook real food, not just boil water for a Mountain House. That's easy.

Liking alcohol stoves for weight and simplicity. Problem is, my awesome White Box stove is basically the first stage of an Apollo rocket. Burns with a silent roar, boils any amount of water, and is gone. Problem is, it can't simmer. Don't want hard, half boiled rice!

Thinking a can of Sterno can be used to simmer things. I have a modified Sterno stove a buddy gave me; it has a bottom added to make it a biofuel stove as well.

Sterno is weird stuff. You can at least extinguish the can flame by blowing hard enough, apparently. Nothing is going to put out that White Box stove once lit!

I did boil cold water by getting the can close, and waiting a loooooong time.

Does anyone use Sterno seriously, and have any tricks?

AA

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Not much experience on Sterno here, although I do have the fold-up stove and a can that's in the backpack behind the seat of my truck. I usually just build a fire, and the Sterno can is good for getting wet wood going. A regular candle also works on wet wood.

If you want to simmer just put the pan over a few hot coals.

SWMBO used Sterno all the time keeping the buffet food warm when she worked at a restaurant.

I used time working the buffet line back in College. 2 per a serving tray

You could also try Tea Light Candles .

Ad Astra

The Instigator
If you are not backpacking, the one burner Coleman propane stove works fine. If you are backpacking, check out the stoves at REI. :)

I've got a Trangia - and one of those hot cartridge bottle stoves, too. Just looking for options.

AA

I really like using my Emberlit as long as there's no burn bans in the area. Higher or lower heat is just more or less wood.

Here's a stupid question from a non-backpacker: How about a "hobo stove" made from something like a can, and charcoal or wood?

Top Bottom