What's new

Like BBQing? Wok cooking, not for the faint of heart!

Hey guys and gals I thought I would tell you a bit about one of my cooking hobbies, wok cooking.

The whole process is lightning fast, I am talking raw ingredients to fully finished in under 2 minutes. Chopping takes more time than cooking. On high, this is like cooking on the surface of the sun! If you stop stirring for even 5 seconds, you just burned it! It's hard to explain, but it's like BBQ on steroids! If you are not faint of heart and ready for a cooking adventure read on!

The problem with most experiences with wok cooking is lack of heat. Watch some youtube videos of professional wok cooks and you will gain some respect. The burners are like a jet engine! If in the past you have used a wok on the stove it probably didn't work too well. It's like trying to cook an egg over a match.

I found a wok burner for $70 locally, but before I knew about this, I made one of my own for much cheaper. I never purchased the real one and still use the homemade one. I bought a turkey frier at a garage sale for $10. I modified it by putting a wok ring (for stovetop cooking) onto it with some stainless hose clamps. It's not nearly as redneck as it sounds, and it works great.

I really enjoy using this, and I only cook outside with it for safety reasons. You don't cook everything on high, but when you cook on the highest setting, it is really fun. You have to be on the ball with this.

I use peanut oil as it has a higher flash point. Vegetable oil, or olive oil basically turns into a fog so thick you can't even see the food. Then if a little seeps (in vapor form) over the edge to the flame you have some truly crazy 3 foot dancing flames on your hand. Lesson: don't use oils with a low flash point and cook outdoors.

I chop vegetables I am using into smallish thin pieces. You can use CHEAP cuts of meat, and it takes almost nothing meat wise. 4-6 oz of meat is plenty for two people this way. I use kitchen shears to cut it into thin pieces, sort of like fajita meat. The overall theme is, have everything laid out ready to dump in the wok. This includes seasonings, sauces, oil, everything.

A simple dish like beef stir fry would go like this:

Turn the burner on, put the wok on top. In about 10 seconds it will be very hot, add a spoon or so of oil. Add garlic to the oil, but hurry, you don't want it to burn.

Dump the meat in, stir vigorously and constantly. Once the meat is half cooked or so, dump it out of the wok onto a plate. This takes very little time, 20-30 seconds or less.

Add a little more oil, and start adding vegetables with the ones that take longest first. You can find cook times for various veg online. Once you get the veg cooked to the right amount (this is all very fast) add the meat back in, and then the sauce. Once it's all done, put it in a dish, then clean your wok.

I found my wok in a scrapyard, I swapped it for other old steel I dropped off there. I cleaned it really really good since it had surface rust and such. I then made a long handle for it (after finding the short one it came with burnt me like crazy). I made it out of a piece of hickory wood I had on my woodpile. All I did was cut it to the right size, carved it down to fit in the wok handle piece, and oiled it down really good. I even left bark on it for a grip. The pics included turned out sort of weird, the finish looks better in person but the flash made it look odd. The finish is really black on the bottom, but it's hard to explain, it's like varnish looking from the oils used in cooking. It is cleaned after use with a bamboo brush and boiling water in it, drying over heat, then applying oil with a rag/paper towel. It's like cast iron where you don't want to soap it. It has been in the cabinet for a few months, so it has some grime on it, it gets cleaned before use again.

I hope you guys give this a try, it's so much fun you won't believe it. There is a ton of recipes and resources online also.

Attachments

• $wok 001.jpg
    $wok 001.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 176
My mother has a really bad habit of calling me right as I've dumped a big load of veggies and seasoning into my wok, and I desperately need both hands. She has no way of knowing this of course, but it's happened enough times for me to keep the phone in my pocket whenever I stir fry something xD

My mother has a really bad habit of calling me right as I've dumped a big load of veggies and seasoning into my wok, and I desperately need both hands. She has no way of knowing this of course, but it's happened enough times for me to keep the phone in my pocket whenever I stir fry something xD

Ha ha that would be a disaster!

Great story... not only about the wok cooking, but how you brought the wok back to life.

The wok itself looks similar to mine... it's one of those 'hand hammered in china' woks from the infomercial like 15 years ago, which is around when I got mine. I used it a ton then, but these days I bust it out like once or twice a year. Though lately I have been cooking a lot of dishes in the saute pan... maybe I should bring out the wok for that stuff.

If you like feel of authentic wok cooking, be sure to pick up a bamboo wok brush to clean your wok with! I thought it wouldn't be as effective as modern steel wool and whatnot, but this thing burns through anything that may be burned on the pan in seconds. And since it's bamboo, it won't carve any lines in the pan. Here it is:

$Wok-Whisk.jpg

Woks are great. I just got a new one. $25 from the Wok Shop via Amazon for a hand hammered carbon steel job.

Had a go seasoning it the other week. Oiled it then had it in a hot oven for 20 mins. Gathered a bunch of fresh chives from the garden and cooked them on a high heat, moving them around the wok. It got a decent glassy black coating (a bit like varnish like boogieman says) on the bottom third and I need to repeat this to add to it. I did cook in it and it was a reasonable success given the weedy gas burner we have. My old house had a very high BTU burner that was great for wok cooking. At the new place, we have a crappy stove with weak burners. I do turn the stovetop stands upside down and these are perfect for putting the wok so it is supported yet is resting on the burner.

I picked up a very good book on wok cooking a while ago. It's called "Breath of a Wok" and has a wealth of information about woks, their history, current usage in chinese cooking and a bunch of great recipes.

That's what answering machines are for.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
proxy.php

proxy.php

I can't think of wok-ing without remembering that classic cooking show from way back when ...

Last edited by a moderator:
big fan as I grew up around lots of Asian and SE Asian cuisine. be sure to keep light soy and fish sauce in your cupboard. The red chili paste fries up well on a hot wok and you are so right about the heat. A MUST!! I have big burners and a thin pan so it helps. those dept store style woks just don't do the cooking justice imho but they work well in their element.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Have you seen the burners they use for stir fry in restaurants? These things sound and look like they are cooking on jet engines.

I place my steel wok on the Big Green Egg, open the dampers full and wait until that bad boy is running about 800 degrees.

I toss the chopped veggies with peanut oil in a large bowl; aromatics go in first (carrot, onion, celery, scallion whites, broccoli), then the greens (bok choy, green cabbage), then the tender stuff (scallion greens, ginger, garlic)

Total cook time: about 4 minutes.

Total prep time: close to 45 minutes to wash, peel, chop and grate veggies.

I don't suppose anyone's given these a try? http://www.gasproducts.co.uk/acatalog/copy_of_Foker_Cast_Iron_Gas_Wok_Burner.html

I'm seriously tempted and they're not particularly expensive.. I cook a lot of Chinese food (and anything Thai/Vietnamese style inevitably ends up in the wok) so I reckon I'd get a good deal of use out of one if they're good

If you want to go pro, you'll want a stove with thrust vectoring:
$engine.jpg
It really helps you to catch those stray bits that try to leap out of the wok.

I have been wok cooking for most of my life. Enjoy cooking and eating what I cook :001_smile

My wok

proxy.php

Shrimp Lo Mein

proxy.php

Shrimp Stir Fry

proxy.php

Thai Red Curry (Chicken)

proxy.php

Top Bottom