What's new

Steel, Titanium Vs Others

One of my favorite handles is a RR Titanium Halo, it strikes the perfect weight balance for me, especially with lighter vintage heads. at ~50gr I think it is the sweet spot.

No. It’s funny how some of the same people who praise heft in a razor extol the light weight of titanium.
A Ti handle allows one to shift the vast majority of weight to the head, rather than having a balanced, but unweildy, razor.

I like mid-weights & longer handles overall. A Timeless Ti Crown handle has let me have a much more enjoyable shave with my Rocnel SE-16 heads.

It is more rigid and corrosion resistant than Al, my main reason for choosing it for some handles.

Reactions: JPO
I know titanium offers more corrosion resistance than stainless steel and its primarily used for implants also due to superior strength. I’m just curious though if people who use titanium razors experience less corrosion on the blades.

I think I am in the minority, but I tend to prefer a little more heft with the razor and also longer handles. It feels more like a tool in my hand or the aluminum razors I own our extremely light.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Stainless steel and brass razors are good choices for my razors, I do have some Zamak razors and like them a lot also.
Lots of folks like the Titanium razors because it is a water resistant alloyed metal and is approximately 1/2 the weight of steel.
I have solid razors made of Stainless steel that are lighter then most titanium razors but handle shape is designed slightly different and a bulk of the metal is removed where it is not needed so making it lighter. King Gillette was making millions of razor handles lighter with hollowed brass and just installing solid ends on them out of solid brass metals to keep the weight 7 costs down. Last thing a soldier wants is a heavy razor to pack in the battle field when they where making military razors for soldiers.

My newest (Left)Yaqi Romulus razor razor with handle is 65 grams but with a (Right) Yaqi Chippendale handle the weight drops to 60 grams and there are not to many titanium razors are not this light and shinny a finish and comfortable to hold.
Yaqi1 Romulus razor .026 thousands of a inch gap. 2023.jpg

Have some great shaves.

No. It’s funny how some of the same people who praise heft in a razor extol the light weight of titanium.
I feel like that's leftovers from when stainless was relatively new and everyone was jumping on the CNC'ed stainless train for whatever reason they could conjure up to justify to themselves the purchase, including that more weight was somehow better. I know, I was one of them. For me it was (and still is, honestly) the added longevity of stainless; I absolutely hate losing a razor to plating loss or snapping a post off of a top cap when it's dropped. I try to avoid zamak razors for these reasons. But titanium has the lower weight of zamak, generally, and the added durability of stainless - it makes for a great combination.

As for the cost of titanium, I try to buy most of my high-end gear second hand. That way if I don't like it, I can unload it without losing anything to depreciation. And if I do like it, I got it for a steal compared to "new" prices. As long as it wasn't mistreated, you would never know.

It's clearly because of low skill and more difficulty to keep light touch for newbie's or people with heavy hands.
Clearly.

Does steel or titanium make a difference in the way a razor shaves, everything else considered equal? Does it make a difference in the clamping force, rigidity of holding the blade, or anything else?

Steel vs ALU, obviously no change in effectiveness or design. But it does change how I shave. I press a lot more with the Henson vs Drakkant I focus more on angle and let the weight of the razor work. Henson I hold the angle and press more.

Zamac is fine, but they are all molded, so it might be not as precise manufacturing, some more QC variations. But same thing, I like the weight of them.

Everyone gets excited about Titanium razors... Myself Stainless steel is my standard choice (No Zamac here) and Copper and Bronze gets my vote as the preferred material. Brass is okay....

Everyone gets excited about Titanium razors... Myself Stainless steel is my standard choice (No Zamac here) and Copper and Bronze gets my vote as the preferred material. Brass is okay....
I feel the same. It’s purely personal preference, of course. But I would be disappointed if all the razor makers started to feel they have to use titanium for premium razors because there seems to be such a clamour for it. There’s a bit of that creeping in sometimes like the new Paradigm and the recent offerings from Rocnel, and I would usually rather have steel. So far there’s no shortage of premium steel razors, but still I wonder sometimes if that will change.

Top Bottom