What's new

Starbucks - What's your favorite?

I think Scarlett would prefer to keep things quiet and private, so in the interest of her wishes I would most likely have to decline. :001_tt2:

Sorta NSFW. Everything's bleeped but still borderline.

EDIT: This is in no way ment as something derogatory towards anyone who likes Starbucks coffee. I just thought it was funny and made me think of this thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
I always order a large bold Misto.

I refuse to use the nonsensical Venti, Grande, Tall-Super-Grande, Extra-Grande, Venti-Grande, etc. I mean, how could something called a Tall or a Grande not be large...yet it's not. Small, medium and large works just fine. No ambiguity. :001_tt2:

I always order a large bold Misto.

I refuse to use the nonsensical Venti, Grande, Tall-Super-Grande, Extra-Grande, Venti-Grande, etc. I mean, how could something called a Tall or a Grande not be large...yet it's not. Small, medium and large works just fine. No ambiguity. :001_tt2:
They have a "Short". It's 8oz. What's after "Short"? "Tall" of course. What's next? Large, or "Grande". Still not big enough? Try the Twenty, or "Venti".

It's not "uhmurcan" but it's still in agreement with common sense.

They have a "Short". It's 8oz. What's after "Short"? "Tall" of course. What's next? Large, or "Grande". Still not big enough? Try the Twenty, or "Venti".

It's not "uhmurcan" but it's still in agreement with common sense.

As has oft been said, common sense is not very common... :whistling:

I could be wrong, but I think the short is a newer addition to the menu (for a long time, I only remember seeing Tall, Grande, or Venti.) Maybe it was an option but not on the big menu?
Point being that Tall seemed pretty silly for the smallest of the three drinks.
I still think Grande makes the most sense for describing the largest drink, not the middle one.
And yes, Venti means twenty, but I don't speak Italian. And why would they go from describing sizes for the first two names to having the third name signify the amount it holds, in ounces? Common sense would lead one to be consistent.
(Hopefully you know this is all tongue-in-cheek, and I know Starbucks is doing just fine without my permission! :001_tt2:)

As has oft been said, common sense is not very common... :whistling:

I could be wrong, but I think the short is a newer addition to the menu (for a long time, I only remember seeing Tall, Grande, or Venti.) Maybe it was an option but not on the big menu?
Point being that Tall seemed pretty silly for the smallest of the three drinks.
I still think Grande makes the most sense for describing the largest drink, not the middle one.
And yes, Venti means twenty, but I don't speak Italian. And why would they go from describing sizes for the first two names to having the third name signify the amount it holds, in ounces? Common sense would lead one to be consistent.
(Hopefully you know this is all tongue-in-cheek, and I know Starbucks is doing just fine without my permission! :001_tt2:)
The Short has always been there. They don't put it on their visible menu because they want you to buy more. The reason I believe that they call their extra extra large "Venti" is to try to trick you into believing that it's legitimate when no self-respecting Italian would ever drink any coffee-drink bigger than ~5.5oz. Filter coffee as we know it is strictly an American thing, and a cappuccino greater than ~5.5oz in final volume isn't a cappuccino at all.

I could go on about drink names and definitions, but that's probably better left for another thread and time.

The Short has always been there. They don't put it on their visible menu because they want you to buy more. The reason I believe that they call their extra extra large "Venti" is to try to trick you into believing that it's legitimate when no self-respecting Italian would ever drink any coffee-drink bigger than ~5.5oz. Filter coffee as we know it is strictly an American thing, and a cappuccino greater than ~5.5oz in final volume isn't a cappuccino at all.

I could go on about drink names and definitions, but that's probably better left for another thread and time.

I have an odd hobby.

I sit in legit coffee shops - there are a couple around here that serve Counter Culture, and a couple that serve other coffee - and wait. I wait, and I watch. I watch for people who are so utterly and completely lost in any coffee shop other than Starbucks. And I watch them order a Caramel Macchiato. And then I watch the barista's face as he decides how exactly to field such a request.

Hours of fun.

I have an odd hobby.

I sit in legit coffee shops - there are a couple around here that serve Counter Culture, and a couple that serve other coffee - and wait. I wait, and I watch. I watch for people who are so utterly and completely lost in any coffee shop other than Starbucks. And I watch them order a Caramel Macchiato. And then I watch the barista's face as he decides how exactly to field such a request.

Hours of fun.
If the barista isn't already equipped to handle the situation well, then I question the quality of said establishment. There is more to specialty coffee retailing than just the coffee. Like any high end service enterprise, service is of great importance. Legitimacy cannot be bought (like CC Coffee, or coffee from any other high end roaster).. it is the result of a complete package.

Interesting observation about how ubiquitous Starbucks has become, to the point that some customers start asking for their drinks (i.e. Caramel Macchiato) at another coffee shop.

When I do visit Starbucks, I am still surprised to see Venti, Grande, etc as their drip coffee sizes, as I would expect this to be too pretentious for most of middle America.

If the barista isn't already equipped to handle the situation well, then I question the quality of said establishment. There is more to specialty coffee retailing than just the coffee. Like any high end service enterprise, service is of great importance. Legitimacy cannot be bought (like CC Coffee, or coffee from any other high end roaster).. it is the result of a complete package.

You should look into what it takes to say "Hey, we serve Counter Culture Coffee". The bar is pretty high.

I was being a little tongue-in-cheek about this "hobby"; most of the places I frequent have a canned response. They'll clarify what a macchiato is, and offer a suggestion of something like a latte with vanilla and caramel. Most customers come away pleased. I do, however, see variances - some guys are pros, no sarcasm, patience with the confused customer, etc. Others are a little more transparently exasperated by the request.

It's obviously not the customer's fault; most people can't be bothered to be familiar with the distinctions between various espresso drinks, they just become familiar with what they encounter. Starbucks is ubiquitous, so the misinformation is bound to be expected.

Another example - watch a layperson describe how they believe "lift" works to a physicist. Watch the latter groan and writhe (hint: what they taught you in school is wrong, or planes couldn't fly upside-down).

Top Bottom