What's new

Starbucks - What's your favorite?

Sometimes I wish my choices were either black or white. Starbucks probably has 20 different blends, but usually I purchase Italian Roast or Cafe Verona.

On occasion (On Sale) I'll purchase some organic shade grown picked by virgins and blessed by Tibet Monks blends that are tasty but I always go back to the "Italian" roasts.

Was wondering what your favorite Starbucks blends are, or this is a blend that comes out say once a year that is worth buying?

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
There is a newer version out than the regular Sumatra, a kind of reddish brown label and it is called "Dark Sumatra" which is really very good.

The Serena Organic blend from a couple of years back. It hasn't been the same since.

Otherwise, Brazil Ipanema Bourbon, but only when still freshly roasted, and from a French Press.

I'm not fond of over-roasted coffees labeled as "Italian" (it isn't). I'm also not fond of defective coffees being labeled as somehow special (i.e. - aged Sumatra).. it isn't.

+2 for Verona. I remember going to a place up on Squirrel Hill that was selling local roasted coffee that was good, can't remember the name though, sorry.

I remember going to a place up on Squirrel Hill that was selling local roasted coffee that was good, can't remember the name though, sorry.

The Coffee Tree I live close to Sq. Hill Thanks.

Don't really have a favorite.
If I'm in the mood for coffee (I don't normally go for hot drinks), I'll just order a "Venti bold" and get whatever "bold" they are selling.
I can't tell the difference between that and Folgers out of my drip with an extra scoop.

Non-hot drink? Mocha frappuchino, but I prefer the blend from McD's or Gloria Jeans... much creamier.

I picked up the French roast because I wanted something different from Verona. Bad freaking move. Cafe Verona it is.

Ya, agree. Not really a fan of most "French Roasts"-yes I know it's dark/bold roast like I like with my Italian roasts.

My Bud swears that Trader Joe's French Roast Low Acid is some of the best out there. I'll give that a shot some day.

If I go, I get an iced coffee, but the Kenyan in a French press is the best they have...and would be better if roasted slightly lighter.

I'm OK with the Medium stuff; anything they call Bold tends to taste like charcoal, and the only thing they call light are boring, flavorless "breakfast coffee", whatever that might be. The Medium stuff is about as dark as I'd ever roast anything myself, and if you happen to catch it fresh, not bad. Decent, even.

It's just so dang rare.

As long as it's fresh. The exception is the Pike Place blend which always tastes like they forgot to put in half the coffee. On the other extreme, their limited production coffees, when they're available are very good and worth the few bucks extra

I don't like any of Starbucks coffees. I usually go to a local place here in town that has MUCH better coffee or I get Peet's, a local Bay Area chain. At home I usually drink the Dark Estate Roast Peaberry from the Kauai Coffee Company.

I don't like any of Starbucks coffees. I usually go to a local place here in town that has MUCH better coffee or I get Peet's, a local Bay Area chain. At home I usually drink the Dark Estate Roast Peaberry from the Kauai Coffee Company.

+1

We have Community Coffee and the corresponding CC's Coffee Houses. Infinitely better coffee.

There is a newer version out than the regular Sumatra, a kind of reddish brown label and it is called "Dark Sumatra" which is really very good.

I like the 'regular' Sumatra quite a lot. I was really happy when I came across it. It's one of the few Starbucks whole beans that I like to grind and brew at home.

I've tried the Sumatra Dark, but it was a K-Cup. It was probably the best K-Cup I've ever had (I'm not a big K-Cup fan). Haven't seen it in a whole bean version yet.

My ALL TIME favorite Starbucks offering is Sulawesi. Unfortunately, I haven't seen it available in a long time. Sumatra is close, but I don't like it quite as much.

Ha, I understand about wanting easier black and white choices. Some of these personal roasters have insane amount of choices and I don't know my head from a hole in the ground staring at their menu. The good thing is, you can always talk to the roaster and get some education, as they're quite passionate about their work and know it well. I ordered from member PozzSka on the site. I think there's several roasters right here in this board. There's a b/s/t just for that where I'm sure you'll find what you're after and something you'll like.

Top Bottom