What's new

St. Lucia Bay Rum

I just got in a bottle of St. Lucia Bay Rum, and I gotta say for my first purchase of bay rum, I like it! The SWMBO gave her nod of approval. It's in a nice green bottle, shaped like a beer bottle. I will post up more after use it as an actual aftershave.

Yea I am thinking my Speick shaving cream will make a great partner to my newest acquisition.

A former pecker checker says: You could blend it with that gray paint ya scrape off the hull...:001_smile

But seriously, I have been tempted to purchase some but I still want to know what actual bay rum smells like!

A former pecker checker says: But seriously, I have been tempted to purchase some but I still want to know what actual bay rum smells like!

No two are exactly alike. The basic smell (West Indies bay leaf oil and rum/alcohol) is mild, but most BRs add some combination of cinnamon, cloves and citrus -- the three characteristic BR scents -- in varying proportions. For a basic BR, try Dominica (the kind without lime oil) or Gabels. (I really like Gabels, but haven't tried Dominica yet.) Master BR has glycerin and is really soothing, with a nice cinnamon-leaning, almost toffee-like scent. Pinaud Clubman Virgin Islands BR is a bit too clove-y for me, but many people like it. Stings like the dickens, but in a good way (IMO).

the Ogallala bay rum (I have the skin toner/AS and the cologne) reminds me of apple pie -- cinnamon, clove, maybe a little vanilla in the mix. I have some Bigelow's, too, and that has an almost sour citrus edge to it, which doesn't sound great the way I've described it, but I actually like it a lot. So yeah, it seems that no two bay rums smell exaclty alike. But I tend to like everyone I've sampled.

I've only tried Dominica, but I'd like to try St Lucia. If for no other reason, because it's different (I hope...).

A former pecker checker says: You could blend it with that gray paint ya scrape off the hull...:001_smile

But seriously, I have been tempted to purchase some but I still want to know what actual bay rum smells like!

Boats likes it, the Pecker Checker doesn't but may try it to see what all the hub bub is about, and this ex-Twidget loves the bay rum ;) LOL

Yeah I'd suggest the Master's Bay Rum...grabbed some yesterday and love it.

No two are exactly alike. The basic smell (West Indies bay leaf oil and rum/alcohol) is mild, but most BRs add some combination of cinnamon, cloves and citrus -- the three characteristic BR scents -- in varying proportions. For a basic BR, try Dominica (the kind without lime oil) or Gabels. (I really like Gabels, but haven't tried Dominica yet.) Master BR has glycerin and is really soothing, with a nice cinnamon-leaning, almost toffee-like scent. Pinaud Clubman Virgin Islands BR is a bit too clove-y for me, but many people like it. Stings like the dickens, but in a good way (IMO).

Very well said. I keep hearing good things about Gabels and it's time to buy some.

Top Bottom