What's new

One of many mistakes I have made ...

IMG_9812.jpeg

Fourteen years ago here is what our bottle of bay rum looked like. Eeek! That is what label design looks like if The Captain is involved.

We had this for a few years before I realized that several traits in the label have more in common with a lady's product than a men's product. Check out the shelves at the grocery next time. Look at the deodorant area and you will see lady's offerings are soft pastels, written in cursive and have a warmth to them. Men's deodorant products on the other hand have labels in block letters, high contrast and dark tone. When I realized this way back I took the First Mate to the grocery and showed her. I said, "We have a men's product inside a container for ladies!!!"

Last edited:
The leaf is different on the bottles too. Are you using different plant extracts?

Very cool to see the original bottle. We joined around the same time so I have watched your business grow over the years and enjoy your posts and insight

Congrats on all your success.

As I understand legend, Old Spice was originally introduced as a women's scent. I tried, and immensely enjoyed, Wholly Kaw Valentyka (I think) during a passaround. It was a very nice scent and I really liked it. My high school daughter just purchased Ariana Grande's scent, and believe it or not, it is identical (to my nose) to Valentyka (or Vor V, they were both in the pass-around).

I do not believe in strongly gendered scents or lable designs. I was born in 1968, so I am not a Boomer, nor am I Gen X. I identify as male, but seem to be more adaptable or less hung up on gender stereotypes.

All that to say, I would but EITHER bottle, because the product is excellent!

The old bottle looks good to me. Had I been into this type of shaving that long ago I would have bought that bottle. I like the clear bottle over the dark frosted and I like the background color of the old label. You should combine the background color of the old label with the current logo and such and see what that looks like.

Reactions: bjm
Top Bottom